F-16s to Iran or Cuba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-16s to Iran or Cuba

In 1982, the US sold Venezuela some F-16 under contract. The US would upgrade them from time to time.

Mr Chavez is now talking about selling the F-16 to Iran, Cuba, and or China and buying Russian SU 27/35.

The US said they cannot sell per 1982 contract without US permission.

What action should the US take, if Chavez sells the planes without our permission?

Strike the planes.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

He's free to sell his planes to anyone he wants. I'm sure he knows he's selling the best air superiority fighter in the world to buy an intercepter/fighter which is measurably inferior in just about every way (the sole exception being the it's cheaper) but he's doing it for a bit of political grandstanding. Since that's all Chavez does it is understandable.

In the long run the F-15 is now being phased out of production for the F-22 (which is far and away the best fighter in the world) and Venezuela hasn't bought a fighter from us since the 1980's so the effects are tiny. The very fact that Iran and Cuba want the F-15s shows how much better they are then the fighters either of those countries currently own.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The SU-27/35 is an excellent plane. F-16s are on the order of 30 years, design wise. That's why the U.S. is phasing them out. I don't know why either Cuba or Iran would want them, since they won't be able to maintain them (which is why Venezuela is probably getting rid of them, as the U.S. just slapped an arms embargo on Venezuela).
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

why did iraq bury their planes? its the same thing.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Strike the planes.

(That's Strike 2 )

Comment

lol like a couple a of fighters are going to make a difference against the 300-400 strong air armada type attacks we've seen in yugoslavia and iraq.

Does anyone remember from when clinton bombed yugoslavia, and the yugoslavs briefly sent up their less-than-a-dozen fighters air force against 300 NATO planes as a gesture, turned on their screens, looked, shat themselves, and then ran away?
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

you know, thety might survive..

with all those missiles firing, some might hit eachother...

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If there's something more hypocritical than arms sales and how it's done, then our brains might burst to find out what THAT is.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The propper procedure for the US is to yawn and ignore them. A handful of fighters isn't going to make any difference, and quite frankly complaining about is just going to make this a symbolic victory for them.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

I say we invade Cuba, Iran, and Venezuela. We have to fight the F-16s over there so we don't have to fight them here.
                      B♭3

Comment

Now that's some good neocon thinking! Of course we need to claim it's in the name of democracy.
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Without replacement parts, they won't be flying long.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

None. Like Che said, they're not going to be able to maintain or upgrade them, and it's not like they have the pilots and massive support network to use them to the best of their abilities anyway.

The relative quality of a current front line US fighter and a current front line Russian fighter is overrated when it comes to combat anyway. The training and quality of your pilots, radar, intelligence, AWACS, ground crew, availability of spare parts, ability to continually upgrade etc. are all more important. I mean seriously, suppose Iraq had F-15s and F-16 during the 1991 Gulf War and the US had Russian planes, but everything else was the same. I strongly doubt the US would have lost even one more plane, or had any more difficult a time achieving air dominance.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              He's free to sell his planes to anyone he wants.
                              Politically, yes...contractually, no.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X