What are high moral values?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are high moral values?

I was watching Penn and Tellers BS on boy scouts and yeah since they ban gays, one of the dudes said that it's beacuse of high moral values and mostly because gays can't be role models.

This got me thinking, since this is a claim we here often.... since when is intolerance not extended to hating gay people, and since when is intolerance excluded from high moral values when anti-gay is in it? And who is the author for making the rules of what those high moral values are? Aren't they pretty much subjective, maybe aside from few universal things.. but I would assume few of those universal things would be tolerance?!

So why does tolerance exclude gay people and why can't they be role models? I haven't seen a good bunch of studies were it is proved that straight kids will turn into gays if they are taught by a gay person in some things. I have, however witnessed that many straight people teach anti-gay sentiments to kids, so that even they don't see their own arguments being kind of lame, because they've learned it early on.

I guess many people are afraid that if a gay person is a role model, then their kids turn gay as well. I doubt this claim, why would they turn gay? It's sexual preference after all.. I don't think a lot of people are gay and at the same time don't want to be, I mean that they really are straight but are forced to gay stuff because they want to
    'please' their role models. And who thinks, that role models even want to turn things sexual, I mean, if it was a straight role model, who thinks the kids are going to go and have straight sex, just to please the role model and then the role model turns back and says 'cool stuff kids, being straight is awesome, so go ahead and bang some more!'.. I just don't see that happening.

Why is it even an issue? If some people want to do stuff together in their own time and space, how is it any concern of the rest of us? Why do we care? Outside religious people who feel gay stuff is sin and bad that is. Why do, the rest of us, care at all? Why do we bring sex stuff up because someone else wants to do it some other way? Why isn't it a non-issue?

Are there any VALID arguments? I've heard a lot of 'it's bad, it's unnatural' arguments, but come on, they really aren't arguments...
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

it's "unnatural" as shaving and driving cars I guess
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Without reading any of that (my eyes are already bleeding from two finals today ) "high moral values" are imaginary, arbitrary notions. In nature there is no morality; Humans have created for themselves this construct of proper behaviour and righteousness. The way I view it, the Golden Rule of "Do unto others that which you would have done unto you" is the only "high moral value" that is congruant with nature. Life survives and thrives when little to no harm is done. Hatred and discrimination causes harm, therefore hatred is anti-life. These fundamentalcase Christians in the US are no different than the radical Islamicysts: They share a Culture of Death. That's all they know, that's all they love. They worship a vengeful unloving God, they gleefully murder or call for the death(s) of That Which Is Not Like Them, and they despise their own breathern who are economically less well-off.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

one of the main arguments of the anti-gay scout was that we live in moral, civilized society, and we need to have rules and regulations to drive those morals so we remain civilized and _peaceful_ society.

That's like the weirdest argument I ever heard. I think he was a closet homo.

I almost believe the contrary. We need to stay out of people's business and hate their ass, if we want to have less day to day conflicts. Meaning, that I don't come to your face and go all negative, but accept you as a person and let you live like you want to live, as long as it doesn't affect me. And by affecting me it excludes things like my head can't take the fact that two same sex peopel are going at it. When it affects me is if they come to my apartment, by force, and have sex on my couch and I don't want them to.

It's not even out of sight, out of mind. Many say that well, I don't midn gays as long as I don't see one. So basically they do mind.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

What are high moral values?
          not robbing someone else's stash
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

not farting in closed spaces

Comment

not listening to hippies like Pekka
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Without reading any of that (my eyes are already bleeding from two finals today ) "high moral values" are imaginary, arbitrary notions. In nature there is no morality; Humans have created for themselves this construct of proper behaviour and righteousness. The way I view it, the Golden Rule of "Do unto others that which you would have done unto you" is the only "high moral value" that is congruant with nature.
                If we follow your argument that there is no morality in nature, it is impossible for any moral code to be congruent with nature. If, instead we believe that there is an overarching moral code found in nature, and which human beings are subject to, then it makes sense to say what you have. You can't go from the standpoint of nihilism to extract the golden rule, you are left with the puzzle if there is no morality in nature, how did such principles as the golden rule arise?

Life survives and thrives when little to no harm is done.
                What about neglect? If someone is left entirely alone, will they thrive or will they perish? I don't think life finds lack of harm sufficient in order to survive, let alone thrive.

Hatred and discrimination causes harm, therefore hatred is anti-life.
                So saying bad things about people kills them? If this is so, then we ought to ban all speech that someone finds offensive, including the pride parades, since hey, guess what some folks find it to be offensive. Hate may be harmful but there is a difference between saying things that someone objects to and chopping off someone's head.

All this scoutmaster has done is exercised his right to free speech and expression, if you have a problem with what he says, you are entirely permitted to rebut and offer your own opinion. He has not called for the execution of infidels or for gay people to be hurt or harmed in any fashion.

These fundamentalcase Christians in the US are no different than the radical Islamicysts: They share a Culture of Death. That's all they know, that's all they love. They worship a vengeful unloving God, they gleefully murder or call for the death(s) of That Which Is Not Like Them, and they despise their own breathern who are economically less well-off.
                Ok, then go to a Wahhabi Islamist country like Saudi Arabia, and try to hold your pride parade.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You can't go from the standpoint of nihilism to extract the golden rule, you are left with the puzzle if there is no morality in nature, how did such principles as the golden rule arise?
                  Because it's advantagous to have a set of moral codes to stabilize a society.
                  "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                  "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                  Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

If we follow your argument that there is no morality in nature, it is impossible for any moral code to be congruent with nature. If, instead we believe that there is an overarching moral code found in nature, and which human beings are subject to, then it makes sense to say what you have. You can't go from the standpoint of nihilism to extract the golden rule, you are left with the puzzle if there is no morality in nature, how did such principles as the golden rule arise?
                    How do ANY words arise? We give names to things, we give names to concepts. What's difficult for you there?

What about neglect? If someone is left entirely alone, will they thrive or will they perish? I don't think life finds lack of harm sufficient in order to survive, let alone thrive.
                    Huh? Tell that to a rabbit in a fox's gut.

So saying bad things about people kills them? If this is so, then we ought to ban all speech that someone finds offensive, including the pride parades, since hey, guess what some folks find it to be offensive. Hate may be harmful but there is a difference between saying things that someone objects to and chopping off someone's head.
                    You familiar with the concept of inciting violence? There's laws against that.

All this scoutmaster has done is exercised his right to free speech and expression, if you have a problem with what he says, you are entirely permitted to rebut and offer your own opinion. He has not called for the execution of infidels or for gay people to be hurt or harmed in any fashion.
                    And someone once said the Jews were to blame for the ills of society, that things would be better (like they were in older times) if they all just left or were simply marginalized to the fringes of society... now it's the gays that are to blame for the ills of society, that things would be better (like they were in older times) if they all just left or were simply marginalized to the fringes of society...

Ok, then go to a Wahhabi Islamist country like Saudi Arabia, and try to hold your pride parade.
                    Why, when I can go to Reno's yearly Pride Parade and be harrased by a group of protestors? Or turn on the TV and have Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell blame me for 9/11. Or listen in as Ann Coulter calls for the deaths of liberals...
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I think Ben meant that the Wahhabis would gut you like a fish for even suggesting a gay pride parade. Now, fundies don't have enough power in America to do that, and we don't know that they wouldn't if they did (I suspect Falwell would hold occasional gay-pogroms for political gain, but otherwise ignore 'em so he could concentrate on getting more money), but it remains true that the situation for gays is a lot better here than there.

EDIT for clarification.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

most people say I have high moral values. Whatever that means. I'm talking about real life people, not you guys. .

Comment

If we follow your argument that there is no morality in nature
                          There isn't. Theres survival and thats about it.

DRoseDARs, is wrong in saying its congruent with nature. He's right in saying its the best golden rule for us humans.

What is this overarching morality code in nature? Does it apply only to humans? Why haven't all humans found this overarching code of nature?

Firstly they will do what they need too to survive. They will find water, food, shelter. Without any predators to hinder their development this won't be too hard, really. Thriving is for people with leisure.

So saying bad things about people kills them?
                          Well depends, sometimes its called what DRoseDARs said. Inciting violence.

All this scoutmaster has done is exercised his right to free speech and expression
                          It's not what he's saying that's the problem. It's where he's saying it. Being a scoutleader, by spouting anti-gay stuff he's basically partaking in a propaganda campaign to influence the minds of young people in the scouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000

Because it's advantagous to have a set of moral codes to stabilize a society.
                            But you've already decided what's moral by believing that a stable society is a good thing. Why have that belief?
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Why have that belief?
                              you have to have that belief in order to even begin to discuss morals. Since, morals are defined as good or bad based off of the stability of the society... If it disrupts the stability it is bad, if it promotes the stability it is good.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X