Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Sutter recognises the team with the fewer shots given up most likely has the better defence, even if they have had 2 sieves and an untrusted one in net for an overall higher GAA.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      I'm still looking for what odds people will give me on...

Edm beats Detroit
      6-1?

Edm sweeps Detroit

Errr. 100-1?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Maybe Sutter recognises the team with the fewer shots given up most likely has the better defence, even if they have had 2 sieves and an untrusted one in net for an overall higher GAA.
        Edmonton has lots of guys up there for blocking shots.

Blocking shots doesn't mean you have a stellar defense, it means you have to block shots...

A great defense doesn't permit those shots to begin with, and forces the opposing team to shoot at sharp angles for the easy save without having to block it.

Edmonton lets people take excellent shots all the time, then they block the shots a lot. I don't think that's a really good defense, I'd say it's a desperate one with no confidence in their goaltending.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Blocking shots doesn't mean you have a stellar defense, it means you have to block shots...

A great defense doesn't permit those shots to begin with, and forces the opposing team to shoot at sharp angles for the easy save without having to block it.

Edmonton lets people take excellent shots all the time, then they block the shots a lot. I don't think that's a really good defense, I'd say it's a desperate one with no confidence in their goaltending.
            Hmmm. Preventing shots... good defence... seems to make sense to me.

BTW, having the fewest shots against per game in the entire league is a bit more than blocking, don't you think?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

I'm sorry Asher, but this post is just so.... well, you didn't hit the nail on the head. I'll say that much.

The 93 habs used shot blocking to perfection, and they had arguably the best goalie of that generation.
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                I'm sorry Asher, but this post is just so.... well, you didn't hit the nail on the head. I'll say that much.

The 93 habs used shot blocking to perfection, and they had arguably the best goalie of that generation.
                The reason Edmonton blocks shots is they had no real goalie for 90% of the season. If you don't block any and all shots, those babies are going in.

If you watch a lot of Edmonton games, you'll see what I mean. They have a lot of shots against, a lot of which are blocked. When they miss those blocks, a lot of those shots go in...not because the goalie sucks (well, Roloson isn't that great IMO), but because Edmonton gives up more chances per game than a team like Calgary.

And restricting chances, not shots, is what a good defense does. Edmonton blocks the puck more because they have to. Calgary forces the play to the extreme angles and lets the shots through. The shots metric is a bit misleading.

Look at Kiprusoff in the shootouts, or on breakaways. He's actually not that great. The reason his stats are so good is because the defense is excellent -- he's routinely peppered with extreme angle shots, not decent shots like Edmonton gives up.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

BTW, having the fewest shots against per game in the entire league is a bit more than blocking, don't you think?
                  Not at all, when so many Edmonton players are at the top of the chart for blocked shots...

Look at the goals against per game. Edmonton has a ton. Great defense my ass.

Comment

Horse hockey!

Your conflating Kipper having a career season with great defence from the Flames.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Look at Kiprusoff in the shootouts, or on breakaways. He's actually not that great. The reason his stats are so good is because the defense is excellent -- he's routinely peppered with extreme angle shots, not decent shots like Edmonton gives up.
                      Fair reply Asher.

I quote the above however because I'm kinda proud you admitted Kippy is human.

I'll butt out of your debate now.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Horse hockey!

Your conflating Kipper having a career season with great defence from the Flames.
                        I think Kipper is something like 1-11 in Shootouts.

I think that speaks volumes of how much he depends on the defense.

Comment

Not at all, when so many Edmonton players are at the top of the chart for blocked shots...

Look at the goals against per game. Edmonton has a ton. Great defense my ass.
                          2.35 vs 2.95. 1st and 12th.

And Edmonton chewed through goalies like tic tacs.

Calgary had Kipper. Why was their GAA over 2 if your d was so great?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

2.35 vs 2.95. 1st and 12th.

And Edmonton chewed through goalies like tic tacs.

Calgary had Kipper. Why was their GAA over 2 if your d was so great?
                            Calgary has the lowest GAA in the league. I'm not sure that's a good argument to make against Calgary having the best defense in the league.

Try again?

Comment

Sure.

Kipper.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Kipper's a great QB, I agree.

He quarterbacks the defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X