Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I choose for my second major?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a pretty simple model from what I remember..

I haven't talked to him much about his research for ~1 year, so I don't remember as much as I use to..

Has to do with calculating the pressure inside cells or something like that..

Oh, and Field Theory != Quantum Field Theory (although QFT is where it was first used, and is used most)

here is the paper I can find

Morrison G, Thirumalai D
    The shape of a flexible polymer in a cylindrical pore
    JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS 122 (19): Art. No. 194907 MAY 15 2005

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

(although QFT is where it was first used, and is used most)

Errr....really? I thought that classical field theories were around before anybody had even thought of QFT.

I'm not sure when fluids were first developed in terms of field theory, but it might well have been in the 19th century. And EM&GR had been put into full, covariant field forms by about 1920. QFT wasn't developed until at least 1927-28
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And what's this whole major/minor thingie? What is it good for? Why not learning one subject and that's it?

You regular Israeli universities have that, too. ( du-hoogee )

Btw, Eli, how's school? I think I am going for grad school in your uni, when are you over with your degree?
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          (although QFT is where it was first used, and is used most)

Errr....really? I thought that classical field theories were around before anybody had even thought of QFT.

I'm not sure when fluids were first developed in terms of field theory, but it might well have been in the 19th century. And EM&GR had been put into full, covariant field forms by about 1920. QFT wasn't developed until at least 1927-28
          No you are right, I was thinking of something else..

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

umm yes.... classic fields before QFT - but anyhow, Jon, what sort of "Field Theory" were you talking of? I cannot possible access any of this literature right now, you know ( at home )
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

No you are right, I was thinking of something else..

JM
              Mainly, all I could think of at the time were the uses of Field Theory in Economics and BioPhysics...

Very recent things...

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                You regular Israeli universities have that, too. ( du-hoogee )
                Where? Do you mean the "du-hugi" thingie in the liberal arts sections? They dont count and should not be funded.

Btw, Eli, how's school? I think I am going for grad school in your uni, when are you over with your degree?
                Next year i'm done. It's cool. I discovered that people are stupid and inefficient and that I can always finish a couple of stdevs above the average with a lecture attendance record that approaches 0%.

In short, I read history books during the whole semester and study for the mid terms and finals when they're a week away, going to the exam not knowing how the proffesor looks.

EE
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Az

umm yes.... classic fields before QFT - but anyhow, Jon, what sort of "Field Theory" were you talking of? I cannot possible access any of this literature right now, you know ( at home )
                  I am not entirely sure what you are asking for here.. the hamiltonian?

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Only now I realized that your "du-hoogee" is "du-hugi". I thought you were just making funny noises.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

• Next year i'm done. It's cool. I discovered that people are stupid and inefficient and that I can always finish a couple of stdevs above the average with a lecture attendance record that approaches 0%.

I've considered getting an EE degree at TAU... seems reasonable.

Good job Eli
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Jon, after having taking Physical Chemistry and dropped it when my mother became terminally ill, I would guess that they are using Molecular Physics, which incorporates Quantum Physics by necessity . They are multiple ways a protein can fold, but only one typically works biologically. Mad Cow occurs when a brain protein isn't folded right any more! So determining first why it folds, and then making sure it folds that way, is cutting edge biology and physics - Biophysics (?).
                        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• I don't remember anything being fancy quantum though. Maybe just an assumption or a restraint or something.

Everything seemed pretty classical to me. Yeah, my freind is going towards being a theoretical BioPhysicist.

I don't think what he is doing has been arround long enough to be taught in classes..

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• I beleive the goal of the model was related to virus propagation and the like.. (maybe pressure inside a virus or something?)

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• I am not entirely sure what you are asking for here.. the hamiltonian?
                              I'd think that the Lagrangian would be more useful in describing a field...
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

• Both are used.
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X