Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer help

Originally posted by StarLightDeath
    I have a big problem. I bought a GeForce FX5200 for my Dell Dimension E310 2.8GHZ 760MB RAM X2gen LCD monitor. I followed every instruction and I have done everything I possibly can to get this thing to work. I've even used ctrl+F11 to roll my computer back to when i first bought it. All I get is a black screen and my monitor powers down. My computer also doesn't seem to recognize that the new video card is even plugged in and I've made sure at least 20 times that the integrated video card is disabled. Any ideas?
    check the capacitors on the 5200, if they're bulging it means you need to replace it. incorrectly stealing the formula for the capacitors

direct link

looks sort of like that.
    Last edited by Whoha; April 17, 2006, 18:41.

Comment

Without reading the replies because it's 3 pages long (obviosuly spam fest), you should try if the card works in another computer.

You have some kind of GPU integrated in your motherboard, I'd check if there are jumpers to be moved in order for the mobo one go off. Also BIOS settings. Then the next thing if the device is even recognized.

If not, then you have a problem with your card or your mobo, or the slot in your mobo. Try another slot, if it's PCI you should be able ot do it, fi AGP then I don't know if you have two or more slots.

I'd call for the DELL support after this.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I didn't buy Dell support and it's useless anyway. It's not the PCI slots because it doesn't work in my brother's computer either and he has the exact same computer that we bought 3 months ago. It's also not the video card because I already took one back and got a new one. I'm thinking it's probably the motherboard because dell seems to use the cheapest motherboard's money can possibly buy.

Comment

You have to buy the support? wtf.. ?

But right. You've tried it in other computer, didn't work, got new card, didn't work. MIght be that the mobo just isn't compatible with the card for some reason.

I'm sure you've done it but if not, google your mobo with your card and try to find out if there are forums that have discussion over this same issue and you could find out if it's an issue of the lack of compability. It's something you wouldn't expect but it's always possible.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

If this is the case (lack of compability), then you just need to get rid of the card and get a card that suits your computer. Sucks, but then there's nothing else you can do about it I figure.
            In da butt.

Comment

I didn't buy Dell support and it's useless anyway. It's not the PCI slots because it doesn't work in my brother's computer either and he has the exact same computer that we bought 3 months ago. It's also not the video card because I already took one back and got a new one. I'm thinking it's probably the motherboard because dell seems to use the cheapest motherboard's money can possibly buy.
              does the new card work in your brother's computer?

Comment

might be better just to get a new motherboard since they aren't all that expensive and I can get one way better than this one.

No it doesn't work in my brother's computer.

Comment

Then it may be... the card!!

Just spray it all with water.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Then it may be... the card!!

Just spray it all with water.

You gotta unclog the transistors, man.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm glad you're not listening to these retards, StarLightDeath. What you need is something non-electrically conductive, with low capacitance and inductance, and high heat conductivity. Personally, I use Arctic Silver. Just spread that over your motherboard (or just in the PCI slot, if necessary), and not only will it work the dust out, but it will look dead sexy.

SP
                      I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

My brother has the exact same computer and I tried it in his with out any success so it's not my mother board but something in the E310.
                        Try the card in the last slot (farthest from the processor).
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                        X