No announcement yet.

Asher save me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand usability, a lot more than you do, Urban Ranger.

You've already demonstrated yourself to be completely ignorant of computer software, so please do us all a favor and keep your nonsense to yourself.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I want to use linux because that is what we use at the lab

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

By the way, UR, have you read the now-famous paper "The Usability of Open Source Software" by Nichols & Twidale? Google it and read it if not, you have a lot to learn.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Nice Joke. Best I've Heard All Day. Even The Die Hard Loons At /. Don't Dare Claim That.
          Have you even tried any of the user-friendly linux distros? With Ubuntu, you have a simple and intuitive interface where all basic tasks can be accomplished easily. I certainly like it's interface better then that of the Mac.

I dare agree with Aggie, but Linux's usability is rather crap. Especially long term with upgrades and maintenance, when the easy to install systems deteriorate.
          With Automatix, upgrades are taken care of for you. If you have a difficulty in trying to do something, there are good support forums for helping you out. You'll get a much better answer there likely then you will calling up tech support.

I imagine as development continues, people will develop more tools for making Linux even simpler.

Verto:

Well, I think Linux itself is user friendly enough, I've heard of people being able to set up in normal workplaces and even in a nursing home and the users having no problems with using it. In fact, assuming someone else can set up, it's probably more user friendly then Windows in one respect, that being users won't need to be educated about how to defend themselves against malware.

But as you point out, the chief problem with products like IE roaming around is user ignorance. I used to be one of those types of users that you mentioned. I used to run XP which I never patched, IE, all with no firewall. The results of doing that taught me that ignorance of computers has its consequences and that maybe becoming a little more educated about the subject might be a good idea.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

yeah, I don't really know much about linux

but some things in it are nice

in particular for programming

I have never really had much spyware/malware problems (a few I guess)

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

only jebus can save you JM
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I use Ubuntu on my laptop, and 1 month after I installed it (androughly 60 security patches), I had broken dependencies and my gtk libraries and Firefox and gaim were broken and would not update.

Linux is a complex beast due to the weird, hetrogenous ecosystem of components that step on eachother's toes. It's a requirement's nightmare, and installations slowly bork themselves over time if you keep it up to date.

I do appreciate you lecturing me on using Linux though, Shi. Very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Have you even tried any of the user-friendly linux distros? With Ubuntu, you have a simple and intuitive interface where all basic tasks can be accomplished easily. I certainly like it's interface better then that of the Mac.
                  That you like it doesn't make it easier. I'm quite prepared to agree that Ubuntu is a good OS. But it's pretty lame compared to the Mac UI. Your opinion is that of a small minority, even among Linux zealots.

When you can make a professional quality DVD with photo slideshows, your own movies, with music you composed yourself without having to spend more than a couple of minutes learning how to do it and by being able to access all your media between each of these apps...

When you have an OS scripting utility that even a monkey could use...

When app installation/uninstallation is drag and drop....

When you can connect your latop to a wireless network effortlessly...

Then you can say that Ubuntu is getting closer to the Mac.

With Automatix, upgrades are taken care of for you. If you have a difficulty in trying to do something, there are good support forums for helping you out. You'll get a much better answer there likely then you will calling up tech support.
                  You mean like Apple's Software Update app?

I imagine as development continues, people will develop more tools for making Linux even simpler.
                  I imagine they will, and I am looking forward to it. But I think it's a stretch to say that Linux is ready for the consumer desktop. Having said that, I think it's pretty much as good as Windows for most things, but I don't think Windows is very good, so that's damning it with faint praise.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am a big cheerer for Linux on the desktop. I think that it will help bring back some badly needed competition. But I don't think it's there yet.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

BTW... what's the current state of desktop search in Ubuntu? I never tried that when I had my hands on it.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

My new Core Duo would likely rape whatever you're running, and this is a machine that is essentially designed like a notebook.
                      I bet you can't run Oblivion on that girlie FeMac of yours
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Last I heard 3D acceleration doesn't work in Windows XP on MacTels.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          BTW... what's the current state of desktop search in Ubuntu? I never tried that when I had my hands on it.
                          This is what the current betas of Ubuntu use for desktop search:http://beaglewiki.org/Main_Page

(it sucks)

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

I bet you can't run Oblivion on that girlie FeMac of yours

Yeah you can.

There's a video of a dude playing it on his MacBook Pro making the rounds on the net. Seems to run OK. That's about the same specs as my Mac, so it should run just fine.

Not that I would stoop to playing such a game. Do you think I am a homosexual or something?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Is "Dapper Drake" still coming out in June?

That might be pretty cool. I love the names for different versions, as well as the overall aesthetic of Ubuntu. That is one thing that Linux distros lacked, and which Ubuntu does really well.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                                Is "Dapper Drake" still coming out in June?

That might be pretty cool. I love the names for different versions, as well as the overall aesthetic of Ubuntu. That is one thing that Linux distros lacked, and which Ubuntu does really well.
                                What are you talking about? Ubuntu uses GNOME with Clearlooks theme, you can get that on any distro.

And Dapper Drake is the codename, it'll be called Ubuntu 2006.06 or whenever the month is it comes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X