No announcement yet.

Asher save me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't get the point of Macintosh. If you want an OS that is secure and stable, you can use Linux and get it for free. If you want an OS which has a wide library of software applications, use Windows, and possibly dual boot with Linux.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Sava, you have no idea how quickly that new avatar of yours is going to get really, really annoying
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

well, I just saw UHF, for like the gazillionth time...

that scene was just screaming to be made into an avatar

maybe I'll try to do something with conan the librarian if this one is too much for everyone
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
          I really don't get the point of Macintosh. If you want an OS that is secure and stable, you can use Linux and get it for free. If you want an OS which has a wide library of software applications, use Windows, and possibly dual boot with Linux.
          If you want a computer that will run both of those, as well as a desktop unix that is far easier to use than Linux, you buy an Apple computer... now unbeatable in terms of the amount of software that will run on it.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

I use linux for work mostly

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              If you want a computer that will run both of those, as well as a desktop unix that is far easier to use than Linux, you buy an Apple computer... now unbeatable in terms of the amount of software that will run on it.
              Could you give an example of software that is exclusive to OS X that would make a Windows user care at all about the hassle of dualbooting?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Mac Users: Theists
                PC Users: Atheists.
                be free

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

I don't think you are up to date with the usability of Linux. There are plenty of very user friendly distros out there now. I've been playing around with ubuntu and have found simpler then use then a Mac. Plus, Linux is free.

I really don't think there is any good reason to use Apple.
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Sava, you have no idea how quickly that new avatar of yours is going to get really, really annoying
                    The escape key is your friend.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                      BAN HIM!
                      Hasn't poor Asher been banned enough? I mean the guy has his own private resort at Mingapulco.

That said Asher has great input on most technical threads. He just seems to get excitable by certain issues. I don't blame him; I just understand that that his the way he is and accept it.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't think you are up to date with the usability of Linux. There are plenty of very user friendly distros out there now. I've been playing around with ubuntu and have found simpler then use then a Mac. Plus, Linux is free.
                        Nice joke. Best I've heard all day. Even the die hard loons at /. don't dare claim that.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I dare agree with Aggie, but Linux's usability is rather crap. Especially long term with upgrades and maintenance, when the easy to install systems deteriorate.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I really don't think there is any good reason to use Apple.
                            Linux is not user friendly to consumers who don't post on forums like Apolyton. The kind of people who use WMP, IE, etc, instead of the superior alternatives simply because those programs are already there, are not going to go out and find one of the numerous distros of Linux, and figure out how to install it. They probably don't even know Linux exists.

The problem with Windows is that it is everywhere. The average joe just assumes that crappy IE is simply the way it is; that Firefox is not out there - I know plenty of people who think that Internet Explorer is the ONLY way you can access the Internet.

Likewise, people just assume that Windows is just the way it is. They don't know or care to take the time to experiment with OS X, or Linux. They will use whatever comes with their PC, all the while hating it. Sounds a lot like the political process, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

My 2+ year old Dell is able to run XP, Civ4, WoW, Half Life2, Doom3, etc with only 256MB of RAM...
                              And what exactly do you mean by "able to run"? That your computer doesn't automatically shut itself when it sees the Civ4 disc?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                                I dare agree with Aggie, but Linux's usability is rather crap.
                                A GNU/Linux system is very easy to use.

However I don't think you are looking at usability. You are looking at something that's easy to use without learning how to use it. That's a completely different issue.

It's like riding a bicycle vs riding a bicycle with stabliser wheels.

Originally posted by Asher
                                Especially long term with upgrades and maintenance, when the easy to install systems deteriorate.
                                This is ironic.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X