Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney presents: Track your children using GPS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney presents: Track your children using GPS!

The page you're trying to access could not be found or is no longer available.

The Walt Disney Company unveiled a new wireless phone service Wednesday that allows parents to track their children on a map using Global Positioning System technology, according to Local 6 News.

The new "family friendly" service, called Disney Mobile, allows parents decide who their children can call and when, the report said.

Beyond the family-oriented features, Disney Mobile will offer wireless voice service, text and picture messaging, and a broad range of entertainment and content, a news release said.

"Given our strong commitment to embracing innovative technology, coupled with Disney's outstanding creative content, Disney Mobile is perfectly positioned to transform the way families come together and stay connected," said Robert A. Iger, president and chief executive officer of The Walt Disney Company.

The phone service will launch in June and has not been priced yet.
    I wonder how many parents are now going to want to put electronic leashes on their children. I just hope employers never try to get the idea to use similar technology to track their workers..
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

This could be important, given that the kids might be stalked by officials from the Department of Homeland Security.

Thank you, Disney!
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Technology like this is stupid.

What they should be working on is a personal translator that you can just plug into your ear and will translate almost any language in the world to any other language in the world.

Comment

This is tremendous I can't wait to see how the technology evolves in 8 years time when my first daughter enters her teen years.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.†- Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
          This is tremendous I can't wait to see how the technology evolves in 8 years time when my first daughter enters her teen years.

Comment

can't you just turn the phone off?

or leave it somewhere?

kids who are going to "play hooky" and do stuff behind their parents' back are going to get around crap like this... kids are smart enough to do so

nazi, control freak parents

good parents establish trust with their kids and don't need this big brother bull****

maybe if parent's spent their time teaching their kids to be responsible, they wouldn't need to low-jack them

for all the **** I did as a kid, my parents never were *******s about stuff like this... they treated me with enough respect to give me some latitude, but at the same time, I respected them enough not to get into trouble (or rather, not get caught ) but, I always called, I always told them where I was going, who I was with, and there was never any of this crap about they were going to pick my friends for me...

I can only look at my friends and family, but based upon the people I know who had strict parents and parents who let their kids run wild... the ones who turned out the best had parents who did a balanced job... not too much freedom, but not too strict.

But tracking with GPS?

that gets a:

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This could be important, given that the kids might be stalked by officials from the Department of Homeland Security.

Your Government....working hard for you.

Yessssss!

-=Vel=-

The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I know you are being facetious Vel, this isn't directed at you

I don't know why ppl are always paranoid and scared about the government, WRT "big brother", surveillance, etc...

I think they've proven they are too incompetent to be a threat
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sava

-=Vel=-
                  PS: I'm giving serious consideration to running for president on the "More Gridlock" campaign platform.

The thinking is that if I completely paralyze the federal government and see to it that absolutely NO legislation of note is passed, then the economy will trundle along just fine and life will be pretty peachy.

Things only tend to go to hell in a handbasket when the government stirs the pot....

Endorsements?
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

haha more power to ya
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx

PS: I'm giving serious consideration to running for president on the "More Gridlock" campaign platform.

The thinking is that if I completely paralyze the federal government and see to it that absolutely NO legislation of note is passed, then the economy will trundle along just fine and life will be pretty peachy.

Things only tend to go to hell in a handbasket when the government stirs the pot....

Endorsements?
                      No, because the government can do more good than bad.

I don't understand this desire to "paralyze the government". This sounds like treason to me. I mean, how is it not anything but treason? It's basically an ideology with the goal of sabotaging the government so that powerful people can do things without fear of the government taking notice and stopping them. Because what tool do the people have at their disposal other than the government?

"Paralyze the government"... "Starve the beast"... It's like the creed of a criminal organization... but somehow, it's evolved into the backbone of the mainstream conservative ideology. Why don't people recognize this? I don't think most people want to support nefarious, morally repugnant activity. But why don't they see this ideology for what it is?

Why can't people support the idea of the government functioning with checks and balances? You know? Democracy? Electing people to the offices who will do the job properly? Whatever happened to that?

Where's the endorsement for that?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh blah blah Sava....stop bein' so serious...

And in truth, I agree with you. Government CAN do more good than harm, but how long has it been since we had a truly GREAT President?

Really...how long?

Have we even had one in your lifetime?

We have not had one in mine, and that is....unfortunate.

So yes...even tho it was tongue in cheek, I feel that NO President (or a Prez that did very little) might be superior to dredging the bottom of the gene pool as we have been doing lately, and in that regard, there is at least a sliver of seriousness.

But just a sliver.

-=Vel=-

Comment

Think not what the Government can do for you
                          Think more on what the Government does for it self...

pay increases, pension funds, health plans, services, gold travel tickets...
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Yes yes....so you are sugessting that after I've spent a year doing as little as possible, I should vote myself a raise?

*whistles* I like your style....running mate?

-=Vel=-

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                              Oh blah blah Sava....stop bein' so serious...

And in truth, I agree with you. Government CAN do more good than harm, but how long has it been since we had a truly GREAT President?

Really...how long?

Have we even had one in your lifetime?

We have not had one in mine, and that is....unfortunate.

So yes...even tho it was tongue in cheek, I feel that NO President (or a Prez that did very little) might be superior to dredging the bottom of the gene pool as we have been doing lately, and in that regard, there is at least a sliver of seriousness.

But just a sliver.

-=Vel=-
                              Which is probably why the executive branch was originally not designed to be as powerful as it has become.

btw, overall, Clinton was a good president... despite his mistakes. There are things he did that I disagreed with, obviously, but I think that he did a good job. Although, I'm sure you will disagree with me on this one.

haha what a threadjack
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X