Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio station says Milosevic dead

Radio station says Milosevic dead

Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has died in The Hague, Belgrade B-92 radio reports.

There is no confirmation of this.

Mr Milosevic, 64, has been on trial at the UN war crimes tribunal for genocide and other war crimes.

Just in, no other details known.

There is a island in the sun...
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Yes, it seems to be quite an epidemic. That guy Milan Babic commited suicide earlier this week..

Milosevic taking the easy way out reminds me of Hermann Göring cheating the hangman at Nuremberg.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
      Yes, it seems to be quite an epidemic. That guy Milan Babic commited suicide earlier this week..

Milosevic taking the easy way out reminds me of Hermann Göring cheating the hangman at Nuremberg.
      IF he died, my bet it was natural causes. Milosevic bad health has affected his trial previously.
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

CNN has confirmed it.

Milosevic dies in prison cell

Saturday, March 11, 2006 Posted: 1231 GMT (2031 HKT)

(CNN) -- Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic has been found dead in his prison cell in The Hague, Netherlands, according to the United Nations. He was 64.

Milosevic was on trial, charged with genocide and crimes against humanity in last decade's bloody Balkans conflict, and for four years, he dragged out judicial proceedings with political grandstanding and health-related absences.

The U.N. Security Council established the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in 1993, and Milosevic was charged with 66 counts involving war crimes during the Balkan wars.

The counts included Milosevic's role in the fighting that plagued the disputed Serbian province of Kosovo and the civil warfare that erupted in Bosnia and Croatia after the fall of Yugoslavia.

Ethnic strife raged in Yugoslavia's six republics as the nation began to dissolve after the fall of communism.

Milosevic's trial began February 12, 2002.

Milosevic was defending himself against allegations by authorities that he backed and sometimes authorized violence by Serb forces.

He faced charges of crimes against humanity, violations of the laws and customs of war and genocide, a charge emanating from the Bosnian conflict, in which thousands of Bosnian Muslims were killed or chased from their homes by Bosnian Serb forces in Srebrenica and Sarajevo. (Read about charges being filed in those massacres)

Milosevic pleaded not guilty to all counts, saying that he wasn't responsible for ordering killings and rapes. He could be sent to prison for life if found guilty.

The prosecution closed its case in February 2004, and Milosevic was given six months to prepare his defense, which began in August 2004.

His defense has focused solely on the Kosovo indictments, seen as the most potent because Milosevic was directly in charge of the Serb-led troops during the fighting in Kosovo, a majority Albanian area key to Serbian identity.

The former Yugoslav president had called 48 witnesses to back up his arguments. He requested more time for witnesses, but was denied.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

The international court for Yugoslavia in The Hague has just confirmed Milosevic' death.
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Hmm... the CNN story doesn't say anything more than what alva already told us.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Well here I am, listening to relaxing bossanova of Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto...... drinking cold soda, the sun is shining, everything is going well, no worries, war criminals are dying in groups... what can I say? I can't say that I take joy from death of anyone, even criminals, but... I can't say my day is going badly.

Maybe I'll go get some red wine too, and a cigar, put on a robe and just dance in circles when I make my bathroom trips, reading a good book and waiting for good movies of tonight.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yes he died. Two weeks ago his request to be allowed to go to Moscow hospital for heart disease for treatment was denied by the panel of three judges and now he died. I guess it was a poor decision by the judging panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

It's different because Göring was convicted and sentenced to death, while Milosevic was not and can never be convicted of anything. He was presumed innocent and since his trial is now over, he died innocent.

Also, Göring committed suicide while Milosevic simply died of his heart disease.

Comment

Natural causes, says the tribunal.

Comment

He was presumed innocent and since his trial is now over, he died innocent.

He can still be convicted, can't he?
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I was looking forward to his memoirs.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
                          Natural causes, says the tribunal.
                          If he was on medication, it could also be suicide by not taking some pills.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

If he was on medication, it could also be suicide by not taking some pills.
                            Fine, suicide by natural causes then

@ alva: No, you can only prosecute a (legal)person. It's one of the reasons it is so important to catch criminals alive.

Comment

Well, Hitler wasn't convicted either and nobody cares. The evidence is out there, if you want to make a judgement it's fairly easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X