Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you marry someone who couldn't have children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would be a good thing, because I do not want children of my own.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

If she's the one, then I don't care if she can't have my super babies. We can always adopt, or rent-a-...... I guess?

There's things we can try, treatments. If they don't work out, if we can't have a kid of our own at all, then we can adopt a small baby and raise it as our own. I see no problem.

But then again, if she's the one, I find it difficult to believe she cant' have my super babies, because to match me, she has to be like .. well partner for the SC. You know, no weaknesses pretty much.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

shrug it wouldn't bother me. I once dated an infertile woman and let me tell you - savings in condoms were very nice.

Heck I even think I'm sterile - at this rate of how many women I've been with I'm surprised I don't have a kid running around.

Kids are cute but for me they're something to look at and go awww but not to raise one.
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

If she's hot, yes.

Not too wild about bringing babies to world going to hell in a handbasket.

Should hell be capitalized?
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I'd probably be happy with adopting. I'd probably also donate to a sperm bank though.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              There's things we can try, treatments. If they don't work out, if we can't have a kid of our own at all, then we can adopt a small baby and raise it as our own. I see no problem.
              The problem with adoption is - it seems that how kids come out is mainly a genetic thing. Upbringing doesn't matter as much. So despite your efforts, you may raise a criminal

Even worse, the probability you'll do just that is increased since a mother who gives up her child is usually not the best genetic material around.

I've recently read Freakonomics, a book that explains these things

Comment

But, but . . . . . what about your obsession with procreation?
                There are no guarantees in life Mr. Fun.

If she's able to have kids, then yes, I would see that as a positive, and I would enjoy starting a family.

But if I had to make the choice between leaving someone that I really loved and between not having the kids, I would choose the former over the latter.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

The problem with adoption is - it seems that how kids come out is mainly a genetic thing. Upbringing doesn't matter as much. So despite your efforts, you may raise a criminal

Even worse, the probability you'll do just that is increased since a mother who gives up her child is usually not the best genetic material around.
                  And Pekka is?

As for myself, I wouldn't see infertility as a problem wrt to marriage.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

However, if I was in love I might (although I would want to have a child using someone elses egg and my sperm then).
                    Nope. If I'm going to have kids it's going to be with someone that I love and we can raise them together.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

In my current reality. . . yes-- I have one child and if ever I was single, an inability to have children would not be an issue. heck I'm over 35 already mysself so unless I go for a younger woman , the window for children would be somewhat brief anyway.

In an alternate reality .. . also yes. Although I cherish my son, I can imagine having a fulfilling life with no children
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm already married, no kids yet. Not sure if we will have any. As far as I know, my wife is capable - but hey, nothing's for certain. Heck, *I* could have something wrong w/my sacred sperm for all I know.

Infertility wouldn't change whether I loved someone. Thus it would have no impact on marrying them, since to me marriage is about sharing your life with the person you love. And there are other methods for having children.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Definitely maybe.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Absolutely.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Isn't a better question: would you marry someone that you couldn't have sex with?
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Or even better: would you have sex with someone you couldn't marry?

Comment

Working...
                                X