Historian gets 3 years in prison for Holocaust denial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian gets 3 years in prison for Holocaust denial

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

British historian David Irving has been found guilty in Vienna of denying the Holocaust of European Jewry and sentenced to three years in prison.

He had pleaded guilty to the charge, based on a speech and interview he gave in Austria in 1989.

"I made a mistake when I said there were no gas chambers at Auschwitz," he told the court in the Austrian capital.

Irving appeared stunned by the sentence, and told reporters: "I'm very shocked and I'm going to appeal."

An unidentified onlooker told him: "Stay strong!".

Irving's lawyer said he considered the verdict "a little too stringent".

"I would say it's a bit of a message trial," said Elmar Kresbach.

But Karen Pollock, chief executive of the UK's Holocaust Educational Trust disagreed. "Holocaust denial is anti-Semitism dressed up as intellectual debate. It should be regarded as such and treated as such," Ms Pollock told the BBC News website.

Author and academic Deborah Lipstadt, who Irving unsuccessfully sued for libel in the UK in 2000 over claims that he was a Holocaust denier, said she was dismayed at the verdict.

"I am not happy when censorship wins, and I don't believe in winning battles via censorship... The way of fighting Holocaust deniers is with history and with truth," she told the BBC News website.

Fears that the court case would provoke right-wing demonstrations and counter-protests did not materialise, the BBC's Ben Brown at the court in Vienna said.

Irving arrived in the court room handcuffed, wearing a blue suit, and carrying a copy of Hitler's War, one of many books he has written on the Nazis, and which challenges the extent of the Holocaust.

Irving was arrested in Austria in November, on a warrant dating back to 1989, when he gave a speech and interview denying the existence of gas chambers at Auschwitz.

He was stopped by police on a motorway in southern Austria, where he was visiting to give a lecture to a far-right student fraternity. He has been held in custody since then.

or ?
    CSPA

my opinion, summed up:

obviously, Irving sucks
    but the Austrian legal system seems to suck just as much
    freedom of speech

btw, handcuffs? wtf. were they afraid he would make a nazi salute? I'm sure that's banned in Austria too
    CSPA

Comment

Especially in the midst of the cartoon uproar, the message the West seeks to send should be that even very sensitive subjects are fair game for ignorant, racist or simply stupid opinions, all of which are an unavoidable part of human nature.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

What's the actual crime? If it's 'anti-Semitism dressed up as intellectual debate' why not try for a more relevent crime of anti-Semitism?

Are there other examples where denial of something is a crime. e.g is denial of another's authority a crime, or is it only a crime when you act on your conviction?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Three years in jail for that? I'd imagine that a fine, if anything, would be in order. Not that it should be illegal at all to deny the Holocaust; it's not like it's hard to prove these doofuses wrong (aren't there massive pits full of bones in some of the camps?), and squashing the debate makes it possible to say they're right and there's a conspiracy to hide the truth and blah blah blah. Or so I think. I don't know how bad antisemitism is in Europe, but here in the U.S. we live under the shadow of the freaking Civil War and the many years of segregation that followed it, and we don't gag KKK members.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ugh. It gets a from me. Sure, the guy's a jerkwad antisemite, but that alone shouldn't land him in jail.

And yeah, bad timing and stuff.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

He'll only become a martyr for the right wingers who already use the guise of free speech under attack from the "jewish muslim pacifist intellectual black white yellow gay liberals" to claim the rite of the underdog, and thus gain popularity.

He only deserves to be cast aside and ignored, and that is surely something that the weight of historical evidence alone is able to achieve.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

This will be used by the Islamo-crazies too. Double-plus ungood.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Stupid Austria.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

He's my next avatar
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

to Austria for this.

Comment

About 100 million people in modern Europe can go to jail for 3 years just for denying official history. It makes you think, doesn't it.

Comment

How did Austria get involved in this? Did he make the statement while he was in Austria, or did he say it elsewhere but the media or publishers carried it to Austria. If he made the statement or published the book elswhere and did not personally see to it that his illegal statement was conveyed to Austria I don't think they should have jurisdiction. The idea that a country can assert jurisdiction for crimes committed elsewhere needs to be curtailed. It should defer to an international authority.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X