Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iraqi insurgent groups confident of victory - Report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by techumseh

An out and out fabrication.

About that report published in the lancet, I remember it, and it was questioned seriously because it mainly was based upon rumors, not facts.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Don't bother. Tecumseh's immune to reason.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

As of Oct/04, the estimated civilian deaths as a result of the occupation were ~ 100,000.

Here's a good article about the report, originally printed in the British medical journal, the Lancet: http://zmagsite.zmag.org/Feb2006/davies0206.html

The Lancet study suggests that 79% of civilian casualties up to that time were inflicted by coalition forces and that nearly half had been children. The referenced article deals with the campaign to discredit and marginalize the report by the British and American governments:
        I'm having a lot of trouble finding a freely viewable copy of the original article but here at least can be found the abstract of the original lancet article. Hopefully I can find a copy from the biomedical library and post it here later.

here is a link to the wiki article on the lancet paper.

The wiki paper does an exxcellent job of explaining the confidence interval.
        Last edited by Geronimo; February 19, 2006, 18:14.

Comment

@Dr. S: They were undercover, the British military requested their faces be hidden in media coverage, and the British Army attacked the "legitimate" local government to get them back. So, I dunno. Maybe they just left a gay bar or something. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4263648.stm

@BC: if you read their FAQ, they only count confirmed/reported deaths. They don't extrapolate to get approximate (but much more accurate) totals.

@KH: Good thing. It makes your posts much easier to understand.

And in breaking news, a second Shiite Regional Council has broken relations with the British occupation forces over the video of the British Army beating young protesters. They are demanding all powers be tranferred to local governments. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4729032.stm
          Last edited by techumseh; February 19, 2006, 18:18.
          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

@Black Cat. I understand where you got the 30 thousand figure from, though I don't think it's accurate. It's the Saddam allegation that you just pulled out of the air.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

It is nothing like the exterminations that'll take place when civil war breaks out.
              I remember the same scary predictions before the North Vietnamese defeated the south and before the ANC defeated aparthied in South Africa. Still, it can't be discounted entirely.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

It is nothing like the exterminations that'll take place when civil war breaks out.

If that's your concern, maybe Canada and France should send 100,00 troops each to help out.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

@BC: if you read their FAQ, they only count confirmed/reported deaths. They don't extrapolate to get approximate (but much more accurate) totals.
                  Guesses based upon rumors are more accurate than confirmed numbers ????? Extrapolations based upon rumors accurate ?????

I'm beginning vaguely to rember this "report". It was based on interviews of a couple of hundred iraquis that wasn't especially fond of the result of the war; natural deaths was included and so was deaths by criminal activities (if I remember right they actually didn't discriminate between death causes); they did the interviews in areas most resistant to the liberation and then extrapolated it to for example kurdish areas.

Yeah, some might call it serious research, others .... well, it is a family site.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    If that's your concern, maybe Canada and France should send 100,00 troops each to help out.
                    Invading Iraq was a terrible idea, and it was the USUK's. Your country has to suck it up, and bear responsibility for its ****ups. At least the UK seems inclined to bear its responsibility.

That's because the Brits aren't arrogant cowards
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Guesses based upon rumors are more accurate than confirmed numbers ????? Extrapolations based upon rumors accurate ?????

I'm beginning vaguely to rember this "report". It was based on interviews of a couple of hundred iraquis that wasn't especially fond of the result of the war; natural deaths was included and so was deaths by criminal activities (if I remember right they actually didn't discriminate between death causes); they did the interviews in areas most resistant to the liberation and then extrapolated it to for example kurdish areas.

Yeah, some might call it serious research, others .... well, it is a family site.
                      The lancet report didn't look at rumors. Housholds were asked about deaths within their own immediate houshold and documentation was later required from each household for the deaths reported. The investigators distinguished between causes of death but lumped all "violent" causes of death together.

Comment

@Black Cat. No. In a situation like Iraq, only a fraction of the actual civilian casualties are actually reported. To get a more accurate picture you have to estimate how many unreported casualties there are for each reported one.

"We don't do body counts" - Lt. Gen. Tommy Franks, US Central Command
                        In the case of the study in the Lancet, they did an actual survey in a number of places in Iraq and then predicted the number of deaths for the entire country based on that.

It's standard epidemialogical research methodology, and is not attacked by the British and American governments when it is used to predict rates of cancer, AIDs, bird flu and so on.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

@Black Cat. No. In a situation like Iraq, only a fraction of the actual civilian casualties are actually reported. To get a more accurate picture you have to estimate how many unreported casualties there are for each reported one.
                          This is where you make the mistake. Iraq isn't like vietnam, cambodia or congo where you can't tell what is happening in the jungle. There is no widespread fighting between armies/guerillas and news coverage is extremely high. There are even a functional (certainly not optimal) civil service.

They used a methodology on an environment where it didn't fit.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You're just talking through your hat. You have no idea of the conditions in that country.

If you go back to your own source, you will find that they make no claim to have an accurate number of civilian deaths in Iraq. In fact, they are appealing to people to forward reports including media reports of civilian deaths so they can add them to their totals.

As for the report which you seem to think was based on rumors, well, I hate to quote myself, but really:
                            In the case of the study in the Lancet, they did an actual survey in a number of places in Iraq and then predicted the number of deaths for the entire country based on that.

It's standard epidemialogical research methodology, and is not attacked by the British and American governments when it is used to predict rates of cancer, AIDs, bird flu and so on.
                            Last edited by techumseh; February 19, 2006, 18:58.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

You're just talking through your hat. You have no idea of the conditions in that country.

I hate to quote myself, but really:
                              Somehow I think that you will find yourself at home on these pages :

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Invading Iraq was a terrible idea, and it was the USUK's. Your country has to suck it up, and bear responsibility for its ****ups.

Being there at all is a **** up. Our very presence incites the insurgency. As long as we remain, it will continue to grow. It is bigger now than it was last year, and it shows no signs of being brought under control.

We've already lost. The West just doesn't know it yet. Given that we've already lost, every one of our people who gets hurt or killed, and every Iraqi we hurt and kill from now until the eventual pull-out, is just one more injustice.

If your concern is for the Iraqi people, then you shouldn't be saying it's solely our responsibility to fight. You should argue that every one needs to be involved to help teh poor Iraqis.

If you're genuinely concerned for the Iraqis, then you'd demand we pull out.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X