Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubber
    Peak oil AGAIN ?
    It's an interesting idea. I had hoped for a reasonable discussion, but alas, the thread degenerated again...
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I think people here are confusing the fact that oil production IS going to peak with the morons who think it's going to cause the collapse of civilization.

I found this forum on the topic, it's fun seeing the reasonable people pwn the doomer crazies.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

It's an interesting idea. I had hoped for a reasonable discussion, but alas, the thread degenerated again...
        I don't see what the fascination with it is. As energy demands increase, prices go up and make all sorts of alternatives feasible. Yes they all take time but its not like we are running out of oil any time soon.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

So, let's summarize: Aggie links to a book about peak oil* and says he hopes it's true, Ashboy posts at length about why it isn't, and Aggie complains about having to read the posts of people on his ignore list? If I wasn't so innocent and trusting, I'd call this a troll thread.

* Who invented the rather inane label "peak oil", anyway? Sounds like badly translated Malay or something.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            It amazes me that as someone who supposedly has a post-graduate degree in Philosophy, and then extols the virtues of Philosophy to being able to make sound arguments, is the person who apparently most uses (or threatens to use), a modern implementation of placing your fingers in your ears.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Since he doesn't exist any more, I imagine that would be rather difficult. He was right about US oil production, IIRC. It doesn't matter anyway, this article is not by him.
              No, Hubbert was entirely wrong. He claimed that US oil production would decline because there would be no oil left to recover. The truth is there is plenty of oil left to recover and the proven reserves in the country are currently higher then they have ever been at any time in history. The problem revolves around our oils being heavier grade, containing things like hydrogen sulfide, and being more difficult to get it. Right now the light sweet crude of the persian gulf is just so damn cheap that we can't compete against them.

Hubbert got just about everything wrong yet we still have to hear dumbass articles like this based upon his faulty predictions.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                * Who invented the rather inane label "peak oil", anyway? Sounds like badly translated Malay or something.
                A fellow named Hubbert came up with the term in the late 50's or early 60's. He even quit his job at Shell in the mid 60's because he was convinced the end of "the oil era" was just months away. He was completely wrong but continued reusing the same tired line until the day he died.

Not that he was the first, people have been predicting the end of oil since the first gasoline powered cars were built in the 19th century, nor will he be the last as these me too book based upon Hubbert's predictions shows. What they all have in common is that none of them take into account technology advances, how usage varies based on price, and how alternatives become viable at different price points.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

A better term would be the end of cheap oil.

Comment

Oil is getting more expensive. That's for sure. I don't think production has peaked though. Eventually it will, that is also for sure. The thing we don't know is how expensive oil will get before it creates decline in production.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I don't think that people realize that if cheap oil declines, it doesn't matter how much expesive oil can be produced. Total oil production will still decline because of the cost of production.

Comment

If the cost to get the oil goes up and the price your selling the oil goes up porportionatly, as long as you still have a market that will buy the oil you can still keep chugging. oil production will go down because there is less of it, or more of something else.

[/justrepliedtolastpostwithoutreadingtrollthread]
                        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
                          If the cost to get the oil goes up and the price your selling the oil goes up porportionatly, as long as you still have a market that will buy the oil you can still keep chugging. oil production will go down because there is less of it, or more of something else.

[/justrepliedtolastpostwithoutreadingtrollthread]
                          The crux is when people can't afford to pay the higher price.

Comment

I don't think that people realize that if cheap oil declines, it doesn't matter how much expesive oil can be produced. Total oil production will still decline because of the cost of production.
                            what?
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

LoA,

The price of oil is determined by the cost of the most expensively produced oil, not the cheapest. As the production of the cheap oil declines more increasingly expensive oil will be produced. This is compounded by the effect of the increase in demand, which is also increasing the price as increasingly expensive oil is produced.

Comment

The price of oil is determined by the cost of the most expensively produced oil, not the cheapest. As the production of the cheap oil declines more increasingly expensive oil will be produced. This is compounded by the effect of the increase in demand, which is also increasing the price as increasingly expensive oil is produced.

what?
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X