No announcement yet.

Apparently Oil Peaked on December 16th 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It amazes me that as someone who supposedly has a post-graduate degree in Philosophy, and then extols the virtues of Philosophy to being able to make sound arguments, is the person who apparently most uses (or threatens to use), a modern implementation of placing your fingers in your ears.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Hubbert was an idiot when he was alive and he's still an idiot.
      Since he doesn't exist any more, I imagine that would be rather difficult. He was right about US oil production, IIRC. It doesn't matter anyway, this article is not by him.

Like I said, I have no idea whether to believe it or not, and I don't really care either way. Whether we go back to the stone age is a matter of supreme indifference to me.

Anyway... please do elaborate your criticisms. I don't want to have to read Asher or KH's posts, because neither is to be taken seriously unless the subject is whining or poker.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's fantastic. Oil production peaked 2 months ago, yet somehow the world is consuming more oil at a lower price now than it was then.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In ten years we'll somehow be using twice as much oil as we were drilling on December 15 2005.

Thank god the aliens are going to pipe that **** in.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It would actually not surprise me in the slightest if US oil production dropped from here out. As this chart shows, they are among the nations using up their oil reserves at the quickest rate. The world still has a ways to go to catch up to the US in this regard.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

At current production rates, assuming no further discoveries, the US would run dry in ~13 years

Neither of these will be true, however it's likely that the pace of new discoveries will not keep up with the pace of drilling in the US, so there will be a gradual lessening of the US's importance as a producer.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Is this the latest version of Malthus? Didn't he and his successors make all sorts of claims about resource depletion only to be shot down by those dreaded right wingers? They had some bet, the Malthusian could pick 10 commodities supposedly disappearing and a libertarian economist predicted the price of the commodities would actually go down.

Comment

Crap! Who makes the barrels?!
                  be free

Comment

An Asher/Agathon make-out thread that doesn't involve computers? See something new everyday.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      An Asher/Agathon make-out thread that doesn't involve computers? See something new everyday.
                      Give me some credit.

If I was an arse bandit, I could do better than that loser.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

If you start a thread about peak oil, you lose the right to call anyone a nutbag.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

He knows that, that's why he used the term 'arse bandit'.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Sigh... Agathon and Asher... play nice or be restricted.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Peak oil AGAIN ?
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X