Apparently Oil Peaked on December 16th 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently Oil Peaked on December 16th 2005

Through teaching and research, we educate people who will contribute to society and develop knowledge that will make a difference in the world.

/. discussion

dido writes "Princeton University geology Professor Kenneth Deffeyes has been studying world petroleum production data and has come to the conclusion that the world hit peak oil last December 16, 2005. If he is correct, total world oil production will never surpass what was produced last December. ...

Well, I don't know if it is true, but I hope it is, purely for the opportunity to show our right-wing nutbag friends (TM) that they were wrong yet again.

Discuss....
    Only feebs vote.

RTFA.

US Oil Production (as he discussed in the book) != World Oil Production

Canada's oil production is at record levels and rising.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The author pulled the number out of his ass with a mathematical formula based on the history of US oil production and then extrapolated that to the world and then wrote a doom & gloom book about how we're going to have massive famines, etc. as a result of it. That's how you sell books, you know, to people like Agathon who don't know any better.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

teh sex graphs I came across

Comment

Princeton professor who is an expert in the field.

or..

Irritating gay Canadian student from minor college well-known for pulling "facts" out of his ass.

Whom to believe....
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Princeton professor who is an expert in the field.
            A geologist is someone who studies rocks.

He's by no means an expert on oil production, nor is he can expert in economics (which is pretty much needed to be an expert on peak oil).

He's an author who wants to sell as many books as he can. What better way than to get free press by saying "we've hit peak oil!" just like people did decades ago, and years ago? This isn't the first time someone did this.

The guy is out there to make money, and you're too stupid to figure it out. Stop giving this guy his free press.

While you're at it, buy this book from an expert in his field. Apparently the University of Calgary cured diabetes 20 years ago but the evil FDA and pharmaceudical companies covered it up.

Comment

He's an author who wants to sell as many books as he can. What better way than to get free press by saying "we've hit peak oil!" just like people did decades ago, and years ago? This isn't the first time someone did this.

So it's a conspiracy?

I'm glad I know that you're a certifiable nutcase. It brings some perspective to my occasional readings of the drivel you post.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Reading the guy's biography: http://www.princeton.edu/hubbert/about-ken.html

He quit his job at Shell in 1962 because he was worried he wouldn't be able to retire since peak oil was coming up shortly. I think that says it all.

Now that it still hasn't arrived he's saying "any day now!"

Comment

So it's a conspiracy?

I'm glad I know that you're a certifiable nutcase. It brings some perspective to my occasional readings of the drivel you post.
                  Who said it was a conspiracy? I'm just pointing out the guy's retired and wants to make money.

It's not so much a conspiracy as an obvious case of fear mongering and playing to the paranoia and naivity of people like you to buy into it. It's a get rich quick scheme more than a conspiracy.

If it was a conspiracy, there would be people backing him up instead of chuckling to themselves. Most people don't buy the peak-oil-is-here argument when production is still increasing every year, including last year and this year so far.

Notice how he links to Amazon.com repeatedly and keeps mentioning the name of his book in the "article" you linked to?

Comment

From one of the Amazon.com reviews of his book:
                    In my view, the weakest aspect of his previous book was Deffeyes lack of insight into the potential of natural gas to be used as a substitute for oil based fuels (diesel and gasoline) in transport. This issue still remains a matter concern in my mind which I don't think this second book alleviates. Deffeyes deals with the issue in his second book in chapter four `Mostly Gas'. In this, chapter Deffeyes suggests that in North America natural gas markets are experiencing peak production, if not decline, similar to that of global oil production. What concerns me most about this argument is that gas markets in the rest of the world are not as well connected, integrated or mature as the North American gas market. In fact there is considerable spare gas capacity and undeveloped resources in the rest of the world. Unlike the global oil market, gas markets are still patchy and poorly connected with a deal of infrastructure lacking and hence greater potential for additional supply. Not all parts of the potential global gas market are developed or have the level of infrastructure necessary to reach peak capacity, and may not do so for much of the next 20 to 30 years. I this differ greatly with Deffeyes with his argument that natural gas is likely to experience capacity limitations at the same time as the oil peak or that the gas capacity will be similar to that well evident for crude oil capacity. As a consequence, I see considerable potential for natural gas substitution for crude oil fuels in transport and this is where I would differ with Deffeyes. As a consequence I suggest we may not quite be in the bind which he suggests.

While I am quite sympathetic to some of Deffeyes views and some of his possible solutions, I see a lot more potential in natural gas than he does and it remains the most readily available and least radical change with which we can and will have to cope with the consequences of the coming oil peak and subsequent decline. My view of the coming oil peak is that it is just another fuel-technology transition which the human race will face; like the many which have preceded it and the others which are likely to follow.

Dr Ian Lavering
                    Adjunct Professor
                    MBT Program UNSW
                    Notice the bold part -- say what?

Comment

Why you even bother is beyond me. Ignore lists exist because of "people" like you.

Anyone have anything worthwhile to add before Asher spams up the thread?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Hubbert was an idiot when he was alive and he's still an idiot.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Why you even bother is beyond me. Ignore lists exist because of "people" like you.

Anyone have anything worthwhile to add before Asher spams up the thread?
                          Because you repeatedly reply to my posts. I've been on your "permanent" ignore list about four or five times now, and you never have the balls to actually go through with it.

Comment

Aggie believes in Peak Oil?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, I was on his "ignore list" too, but then he talked to me in a thread about a week ago.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X