Stalin and the Struggle for Democratic Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serb in 3...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe Stalin was anything other then a butcher and totalitarian dictator.
      Didn't the US express a similar sentiment about how the Japanese would never be stupid enough to attack the US? You have to crush things like this, no matter how small they are, because there is no telling what can eventually be accomplished.

Comment

what is it with russians that makes them believe this sort of rubbish?
        It's propaganda.
        They've been exposed to a heavy version of it ever since communistic revolution.

Many of them actually believe that Latvia is in fact a former territory of Russia and a breakaway rebel.
        And don't tell Latvia was, I know it, they believe it not like that, they believe that it was a russian territory ever since Adam and Eve.
        Many russian soldiers weren't even told what they're fighting and were they were going, or were told pure propaganda like they're fighting 'imperialist pigs who exploit people as serfs' and somesuch.
        A soldier of Winter War was already smart if he knew that he's fighting Finnland.
        And if they got to know that their enemies are called 'finns', they often had no associations with that name like if I say to you 'go to Erjaxi and kill all urjumbogs'.

I recently read a book on the topic.
        Last edited by binTravkin; February 16, 2006, 11:05.
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          @ Propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            I don't think anyone is stupid enough to believe Stalin was anything other then a butcher and totalitarian dictator.

You didnt grow up in New York City in the 60's and 70's, when real live Stalinists (turned "progressives" by this point) were still around.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Save the band width.

He had the opposition real and imagined shot, starved, or deported.

Democratisation? Sick joke.

QFT
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

In other news, AIDS is good for you.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
                  The only thing that made Stalin better than Hitler is that he beat the crap out of Hitler.
                  This is how it really went down. A thorough reexamination.

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                  —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I LOVE this cartoon. It's so awesome.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

This thread rocks
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Az

If Stalin was really a 'democrat' why did he deep six the NEP in favor of centralized planning?

From all the things you can attack Stalin on being undemocratic, this is the last, located near "wears a moustache"
                        Well Propaganda disputes all the purges and killings. He probably won't dispute ending the NEP. And it was important in turning Stalin into an absolute dictator. He took complete control of the economy... and in order to do so killed Ukrainians. Also if you have total control of the economy, chances are you don't allow a free democratic process.

Basically, from that innocuous statement, comes a whole host of 'undemocratic' actions.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Also if you have total control of the economy, chances are
                          you don't allow a free democratic process.

Yes, if you take control of the economy, yes. However, the mere end of the regulated market and a switch to central planning isn't an undemocratic move.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I was working up to it, Az. You can't go too far, too fast with propaganda.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You can't go too far, too fast with propaganda.

This sentence is actually true for real propaganda.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Propaganda
                                There are two schools of thought to the Stalin question.

Actually, there are four schools of thought: Stalinist, capitalist, Trotskyist, and Marxist-chegitzist. The last one is the only one that is correct.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X