Margaret Thatcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margaret Thatcher

30 years ago today, she was elected leader of the Conservatives in Britain.

Brilliant lady. A determined politician with strong convictions and not afraid of advancing them, taking on opposition and conflict head on.

An important and dominant figure on the world scene in what became the final and crucial period of the Cold War. Good to have on our side, no doubt..

And she recognized great Presidential/Commie leadership in the U.S. and the Soviet Union when it was there, saw the opportunity for change and promoted it without waivering.

To be fair, she was a b*tch to the working class in the short term, plus had some dubious policies on personal freedoms, there's also controversy on the need to go to war with Argies over Falklands.

However, on a net basis, I can's see why some Brits complain. Britain would be a basketcase if not for her.
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

MORE of a.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yay Maggie!

Comment

She was a total heartless b1tch. I'll be dancing in the streets when she finally croaks.

Comment

Um, it's actually 31 years. I'm so senile it took me an hour to realise this is in fact 2006.

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be Winston creaming his pants over his dream woman.

And I was right!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                  To be fair, she was a b*tch to the working class in the short term, plus had some dubious policies on personal freedoms, there's also controversy on the need to go to war with Argies over Falklands.
                  The controversy is more about her conduct during the war, not the war itself - at least from a UK public opinion standpoint. It was nowhere near as dubious as Gulf War II for example.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Two recessions on the back of North Sea oil revenues. What a great leader.

Comment

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Originally posted by Winston
                      30 years ago today, she was elected leader of the Conservatives in Britain.

Brilliant lady. A determined politician with strong convictions and not afraid of advancing them, taking on opposition and conflict head on.

An important and dominant figure on the world scene in what became the final and crucial period of the Cold War. Good to have on our side, no doubt..

And she recognized great Presidential/Commie leadership in the U.S. and the Soviet Union when it was there, saw the opportunity for change and promoted it without waivering.

A nutcase who wrecked Britain and caused misery to untold people. Par for the course that you'd admire her.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: Re: Margaret Thatcher

Originally posted by Agathon

A nutcase who wrecked Britain and caused misery to untold people. Par for the course that you'd admire her.
                        Have you noticed Ag that it only seems to be the non-UK citizens who like her? When I saw this thread title, I was hoping she had died
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

...although for that, I should be looking for the title 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead'
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

xpost, I was laughing at the other one (when you said you were hoping she had died)
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

What is the Falklands War controversy? I can't imagine anyone can blame the UK's retarded policy of abandoning conventional carriers on her.

Well, I can imagine people here doing it, but not the public at large.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X