No announcement yet.

CanPol: Harper sworn in, new cabinet announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had to read more to find that out as well. Terms that the NDP and Tories would have ripped on them for.

In a telephone interview last night, Emerson confirmed he raised concerns about the proposal after discussions with the B.C. government and softwood industry. But he said it's a "false story" to suggest his resistance was politically motivated and insisted the deal on the table before the election wasn't good enough for Canada then and isn't now.

And
    concerns in Paul Martin's office that a pre-election deal would stop the then-prime minister from using George W. Bush as a campaign punching bag, convinced Liberals to delay formal negotiations at least until after the January election.

It's as if the Liberals gift wrapped Emerson and left him under Harper's tree as a delayed Christmas present.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Sounds like a load of **** to me. I hope the negotiations continue, but I truly doubt the Liberals were sitting on this for political reasons.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That smells more than a little fishy to me.

The Liberals would have gained far more from a successful deal on softwood lumber. It wouldn't have stopped them from bashing Bush, either. In fact, they could have used it as proof positive that they successfully "stood up" to the US.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I agree, joncha. The Liberals had everything to gain from resolving softwood. That article makes as much sense as the CBC piece with Shiber giving Mulroney money for political favours after the Tories had been obliterated.

The idea is to besmirch past and present Tories. It is quite transparent.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

IOW, the next campaign is already under way in our nation's newsrooms, and **** like this is why conservatives have complained about a 'Liberal press' in the past.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

"Our nation's newrooms"??
              "Liberal press" ???

I love these conspriacy theories. You're already setting up the defence for when the Conservatives screw up. Just blame it on them Liberal media in the Calgary Herald and at the Globe and CTV.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

The CBC and the Star in this case.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

The Star is the only liberal newspaper in the country. Meanwhile there are dozens of conservative papers, magazines, radio and tv stations.

As for the CBC, it's fairly balanced, which puts it in the centre, unlike the rightist CTV.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

Interesting timing for the broadcast of an improbable story told by a man under indictment for activities that could be deemed less than honest, don't you think?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                      The Star is the only liberal newspaper in the country. Meanwhile there are dozens of conservative papers, magazines, radio and tv stations.

As for the CBC, it's fairly balanced, which puts it in the centre, unlike the rightist CTV.
                      No. Everything owned by the Desmarais is pro-Liberals.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

KH:

I'm absolutely loving watching Conservative apologists who railed on and on about Belinda trying to explain why this is better.
                        Yes I railed on Belinda for propping up the Liberals at the crucial vote last May. The criticism was more the timing of her actions, and I always get a laugh when I hear that her defection was over 'principles'.

As for Emerson, notice how I angry I was earlier in this thread when he took the place of another conservative. I don't think either is really the right way to do things, but because of the timing, I think Belinda's crossing was far worse then Emerson's.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

The Star isn't liberal -- it's Liberal. They spent the election bashing NDP at every opportunity, telling people who live in Liberal/NDP two-horse races to vote Liberal to keep the Conservatives out despite the Conservatives not having a chance in the first place. Their editors frickin' officially endorsed the Liberals on behalf of the paper.

I wish Canada had a newspaper as good as UK's Guardian.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            I never heard Belinda say she had a change in ideology throughout her short stint, rather she realised that she could never be a leader within the Conservative party.

But the ideology being promulgated by Harper and the rest of the party was different from hers, and they are not keen on compromising. She was expecting a much more centre-right entity than what ended up being formed. Harper spent much of spring and summer being a clown over marriage, wasting committee time with pointless stalling and ignoring important matters of government.
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X