Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all HR type people: Is a 2-page resume for a college grad evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kontiki
    You're going to need some HR experience if you want to start somewhere other than the bottom.
    Or connections...and experience with what HR does anyway. A lot of being an army officer is making sure people don't have pay or benefit problems.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
      I hate to break this to you Asher, but if you refresh your memory, you did in fact make fun of human resources in another thread.
      I did make fun of them, but I didn't call them stupid.

It's high time you work that "comprehension" part into your reading skills, like I discussed with you before.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
        If only they had bothered to check on 'poly. Then they would have limited themselves to one page and they'd be good employees.
        I doubt they would have been good employees.

It is almost impossible to truely rate a person in an interview that lasts in the hour range.

But it is easy for someone to eliminate themselves in 1 hour. If I have 10 candidates for a job, my goal is to eliminate 7-8 from consideration. Most people will do something stupid on their resume, cover letter or in person. So the secret is to survive the stupidity test.
        Behavioral interviewing is quite successful not because it tells you who to hire, but it tells you who not to hire.

Once I get it down to 2-3 people, I can focus on all the other things I'm looking for. But that means 70-80% of all people eliminated themselves prior.

It's fun reading here what eliminates people. Those that are looking for jobs should pay attention and not do similar things.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I did make fun of them, but I didn't call them stupid.

It's high time you work that "comprehension" part into your reading skills, like I discussed with you before.

People know how to read between the lines and to see implications where they are actually made -- you might as well have been completely honest in what you think of HR people by simply calling them stupid.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            People know how to read between the lines and to see implications where they are actually made -- you might as well have been completely honest in what you think of HR people by simply calling them stupid.
            No, MrFun, you're being stupid by constantly saying I said things I did not. This is the third time. I did not say they were stupid, period. Nor did I imply it.

Now get lost if all you're going to do is troll and throw strawmen.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Most people read them. I probably spend more time on the cover letter than I do on the resume. Yeah, it's easy these days to customize resumes for each job you apply for... but the cover letter is a direct chance to prove you know the company, and provide specific reasons why you are the best, that just aren't appropriate in a resume. The last person I hired won out because she had the best cover letter... because all the resumes were very similar. Granted, she also interviewed the best, but I had better feelings going into the interview, and that probably made it a better interview
              Originally posted by Apocalypse

Not always read before the resume. They are read if someone is considering bringing you in for an interview.

I read up on a lot of this stuff. I do want to be an HR director someday.
              That's right, it's all coming back to me now.

You put the cover letter behind the resume and then if they like your resume they will read the cover letter to find out more details and try to get an insight into what you can bring to them that stands out and how much research you have done on the company.

One more trick is that if you are applying for a position I would not only follow their electronic application instructions, always mail them a cover letter and resume that is hand signed and put it in a large envelope that doesn't fold your papers.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Well I've never hired myself but I have been in discussions about applicants with people who were...some pretty basic things:

1. Don't be a jerk

2. Smell good and be generally well groomed

3. Actually have some kinds of qualifications/experience that are relevant. Tell SHORT anecdotes that directly relate something you do/have done to something that the business does every day to make money in way that doesn't sound like buzzword BS. Tough, ain't it?

4. Don't lie....unless that is your entire thing and in reality you're a recovering heroin addict in which case LIE OUTRAGEOUSLY and with panache.

5. Don't look like this is the first time you've ever done this...fine line between looking desperate and looking like you give a ****...

6. Smile, be friendly, but no forced artificial laughter, etc

7. Regardless of what you are asked always be coming back to not why you are good, but why you are better.

8. focus

9. FOCUS (not stare directly into eyes)

10. Don't be too uptight. Corporate fatcats can smell fear.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

4. Don't lie....unless that is your entire thing and in reality you're a recovering heroin addict in which case LIE OUTRAGEOUSLY and with panache.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well that didn't take long. I sent out some resumes/cover letters last night, and I've already landed two interviews: one with AIM Trimark Citigroup (largest investment company in Canada), and one with Kerr Vayne Systems (they develop "mission critical" software for TV networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, CBC, NPR, etc -- they have 2 Emmys, even)). Both are software engineering positions.

Comment

sveeet
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X