Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all HR type people: Is a 2-page resume for a college grad evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been told: everything that *has* to be read should be on the first page. That's all they'll read at first. All the details they may need if they're thinking of inviting you to interview should be on the second page.

For mine, my first page shows degree, high school grades in brief (perhaps not needed in the US, crucial here), achievements and work experience. My second page included transferable skills, extra work experience and breakdown of high school grades.

If an employer only reads the first page, they get all the important stuff. If they're thinking of hiring me or inviting me to interview, the second gives them more stuff to consider and ask questions about, plus it gives the information needed for more technical jobs.
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
      Though, I don't know how often cover letters are read nowadays.
      Most people read them. I probably spend more time on the cover letter than I do on the resume. Yeah, it's easy these days to customize resumes for each job you apply for... but the cover letter is a direct chance to prove you know the company, and provide specific reasons why you are the best, that just aren't appropriate in a resume. The last person I hired won out because she had the best cover letter... because all the resumes were very similar. Granted, she also interviewed the best, but I had better feelings going into the interview, and that probably made it a better interview
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, a bad cover letter will keep from doing more than glancing at the resume itself.

Cover letters that sound like form letters are BAD.
        It usually demonstrates a person that is unimaginative, lazy, and really uninterested in working for my company.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes... cover letters that sound like form letters are the kiss of death. To me, it clearly states that they don't really want the job.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

DAMN

Can't believe I forgot about this.

Definitley a good tactic.

Though, I don't know how often cover letters are read nowadays.

Well, if you're in a job that requires alot of written communication or analysis, cover letter is very important.

If your skill based like me it's all about stupid buzzwords.
            Not always read before the resume. They are read if someone is considering bringing you in for an interview.

I read up on a lot of this stuff. I do want to be an HR director someday.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Not too long ago, in a past thread far, far away, Asher denigrated human resource people as being stupid because many of them have arts-related degrees.

Why should any of them give him advice now that he needs it?
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                Not too long ago, in a past thread far, far away, Asher denigrated human resource people as being stupid because many of them have arts-related degrees.

Why should any of them give him advice now that he needs it?
                Never said they were stupid.

I do make fun of most arts degrees. I don't make fun of business, economics, etc. though.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I hate to break this to you Asher, but if you refresh your memory, you did in fact make fun of human resources in another thread.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The average HR executive makes over $300,000 right now. I already have a good background for it (deal with sexual harassment issues at my college...actual federal statute stuff) and I'm a psych major.
                    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                      The average HR executive makes over $300,000 right now.

Maybe if you are a HR Director for a Fortune 500 company... but average...

*our HR Director is only in the 5 digit range
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Maybe if you are a HR Director for a Fortune 500 company... but average...

*our HR Director is only in the 5 digit range
                        Well, yeah...for fortune 500. Average top executive salary is $240,000 according to the Wall Street Journal.

Comment

Yeah, maybe for the absolute top. HR generally does not pay well at the starting and middle levels, unless you can get into something like human capital consulting.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                            Yes for recent grads, if they had more than one page, I'd automatically toss it. From experience, those were some of the worst interviews and I never even considered hiring any of them.
                            If only they had bothered to check on 'poly. Then they would have limited themselves to one page and they'd be good employees.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                              Yeah, maybe for the absolute top. HR generally does not pay well at the starting and middle levels, unless you can get into something like human capital consulting.
                              I am not planning on doing this right out of college. I am going to be in the army for a few years at least and will have some grad school degree by the time I get out too.

Comment

You're going to need some HR experience if you want to start somewhere other than the bottom.
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X