Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all HR type people: Is a 2-page resume for a college grad evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would stick with 1 page until you have loads of experience

Also, I generally take the job discription I am applying to, pull out the keywords, and insert them randomly into my resume

Resumes may get selected by scanning and then doing word searches, but once they get pulled they actually get looked at. Make sure to have the buzz words your industry looks for. Avoid irrelevant stuff like "motivated", "hard worker", that kind of crap... because they assume you are already.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Yes for recent grads, if they had more than one page, I'd automatically toss it. From experience, those were some of the worst interviews and I never even considered hiring any of them.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        I would stick with 1 page until you have loads of experience

Also, I generally take the job discription I am applying to, pull out the keywords, and insert them randomly into my resume

Resumes may get selected by scanning and then doing word searches, but once they get pulled they actually get looked at. Make sure to have the buzz words your industry looks for. Avoid irrelevant stuff like "motivated", "hard worker", that kind of crap... because they assume you are already.
        Very good advice. The key word approach targeting a specific job will actually land you more interviews than a resume that may describe you better, but that isn't as suited to the job you apply for.
        I know one extremely good candidate that keeps getting passed over for Fed. Govmt. jobs because he just won't modify his resume to target specific jobs. Two of our mutual friends - that aren't as good as this guy technically - have gotten similar positions by using the right technique.
        What?

Comment

For me, the worst mistakes of all are spelling/grammatical errors. The second I spot one in a resume or cover letter, it goes on the "no" pile.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Include a small picture of yourself at the bottom of your CV, unless you look awful. Maybe a face will make you stand out amongst applicants.
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

For me, the worst mistakes of all are spelling/grammatical errors. The second I spot one in a resume or cover letter, it goes on the "no" pile.
              When I was look for this job, about a year ago today. I sent out my first wave of resumes and got no replies. I was depressed, about a month later I decided to upgrade my resume and found that instead of Installation I had writen Instillation... Xerox probably thinks I'm an alcoholic.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Mine is two pages
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

According to a career-counselor type I once worked with, only the CEO of a major corporation should have a two page resume. If you can't summarize your relevant experience on one page, you haven't summarized enough.

Same thing goes once you actually get a job - if you are preparing something for upper management, they want a one-page drill down of the issues - something they can scan quickly and get the right information to make decisions or sound like they know something.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

The HR type people I've talked to emphasized aesthetics over succinctness -- sure, I could have crammed my resume onto one page just by widening the margins and taking out some line breaks, but that would have spelled certain doom at a job fair when the poor tech-guy-playing-HR-person-for-a-day was visually assaulted by a page of condensed verbage. Instead I had a double-sided resume, so that nobody would immediately dismiss it because it was two pages, and so that if an employer asked something like "what else did you do in grad school besides work as a research assistant and get an x.xx GPA" I could say "I've got a list of publications and other miscellaneous crap on the back" or whatever.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Don't forget you can sneak in other crap in cover letters too.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                        Right - that's where the stuff that would have pushed your resume to a second page should go - in the cover letter.
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I usually print my cover letter on a $20 bill
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

A 20 gets you a job where, at Denny's?
                            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

it gets me an interview
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                                DAMN

Can't believe I forgot about this.

Definitley a good tactic.

Though, I don't know how often cover letters are read nowadays.

Well, if you're in a job that requires alot of written communication or analysis, cover letter is very important.

If your skill based like me it's all about stupid buzzwords.
                                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X