Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all HR type people: Is a 2-page resume for a college grad evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    Half of all resumes contain lies.

Sad...
    Its all salesmanship.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Its all salesmanship.
      A shame really... most of the economy is based on BS, so it's no surprise.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

It is a shame that honesty won't get you anywhere.

(though I should leave out the parts about drinking 6 cups of coffee, eating a dozen cream filled donuts, 2 power naps, and posting on Apolyton half the night (no, I'm not a TMI supervisor )).
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

1 page all the way baby

Your resume doesn't look crowded at all to me.

I would change the line :

analyzed, debugged, and corrected customer code or environments that were too difficult or complex for “level zero” (call center) and “level one” (local) support

to:

analyzed, debugged, and corrected customer code or environments that were escalated from level zero and level one support
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This is normal? cool.

And it's good to know that you can write in conferences and seminars as part of your experience.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Two pages is fine. Mine had education and work experience on the first page, and publications, skills, and honors on the second page. If there's no way in hell they'll hire you, then they won't look past the first page. If they're interested, then they won't begrudge you a second page. Plus, if you've uploaded the resume then it can only help to have additional buzzwords in there -- I had an entire section on coursework, just on the off chance that somebody did a search for "numerical analysis" or something like that (I also had to balance out the publications list, which mostly contained conference papers on AI -- a positive sign to some employers, and a big red flag to most).
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I agree with Loinburger. If you have two pages, then the first page is merely to get them to read the second, which is where the details of the skills you showed on the first page should be. So page one is the resume itself, and you say things like "1337 hAXX0R", and then on page two you have descriptions of your past jobs and/or other experience to explain exactly what your hAXX0Ring skills are, and how you have used them in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

analyzed, debugged, and corrected customer code or environments that were too difficult or complex for �level zero� (call center) and �level one� (local) support

to:

analyzed, debugged, and corrected customer code or environments that were escalated from level zero and level one support
                  True that... since it is on paper, you don't want to write anything that the reader may consider to be pompous or arrogant, because you can't explain it.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If you're just out of college then you shouldn't have a resume greater than one page. More than one page at 22 or 23 looks pompous.
                    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                      If you're just out of college then you shouldn't have a resume greater than one page. More than one page at 22 or 23 looks pompous.
                      It's Asher. At least he's being honest.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Good point
                        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                          1 page all the way baby

analyzed, debugged, and corrected customer code or environments that were too difficult or complex for “level zero” (call center) and “level one” (local) support

to:

Word

Thanks Ted.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Why would you care, Asher? Don't you have a job at IBM lined up?
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Relevancy+ Immediacy= Length of Resume
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                                Why would you care, Asher? Don't you have a job at IBM lined up?
                                Originally posted by Asher
                                Not concerned about getting a job, per se, I've got one open for me. I'm still applying for many other jobs incase I find one with better pay, one that is more interesting, or simply for the interviewing experience.
                                A successful capitalist is one that is never content with what he has.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X