Price controls on college textbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious
    Does that really matter though? If they don't agree let them say that in their lectures.
    Some professors don't want their students to read some theory they consider to be idiotic and paint their picture of that concept.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Some professors don't want their students to read some theory they consider to be idiotic and paint their picture of that concept.
      Some professors are stupid or only care about their own opinions and not what the students are learning. Why not have standards that require textbooks to include important material.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

No one said anything about not teaching all the theories. Generally, all of the textbooks are inclusive of all the theories.
        Errr, no... not in my field at least.

One of my classes the prof recommended five different books covering different approaches to the field:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

None of them are the business profs I've found. The're the least sensitive.
          During my MBA, nearly every first year class and a good number of second year classes had profs that put together huge reproduced reading packages. They did everything on the up-and-up, paying reproduction royalties to the numerous publishers. Tack on the cost of production and they only came to about $15-$20 each. Considering they were bigger than most textbooks, it was a pretty good value. Plus, no wasted material - everything in the package was something we directly used.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Errr, no... not in my field at least.
            Well, they should anyway, especially for the money they charge.

Comment

Well, they should anyway, especially for the money they charge.
              Why should an expert in one opinion/theory write theories about other opinions/theories? Do you see the problem with that?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Some professors are stupid or only care about their own opinions and not what the students are learning. Why not have standards that require textbooks to include important material.
                No, they just think that some of the "expert's" theories are full of ****. It happens.

And if you want textbooks to include important material (I assume that's all important material) it's going to be a massive book!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Put it this way, in law school one of the profs wrote a Con Law book that the entire law school used. Another prof (not mine... I was taught by the prof that wrote the book) complained bitterly about it. He was forced to use it by the school, but thought it didn't include important cases and focused too much on things that should be covered in advance classes.

Professor want to stress different things in a subject. An 'expert' book that doesn't stress what they want to stress and stresses something else that they don't think appropriate for the class may make the textbook almost useless.

Comment

I did an aweful lot of purchasing 'used' versions of the textbooks I needed. Quite a price drop, and the less-used ones were generally void of the previous owner's markings and highlights. Often times I would need to buy 6+7 paperbacks per class, and this is where you can really see substantial savings going the used route.

Comment

During my MBA, nearly every first year class and a good number of second year classes had profs that put together huge reproduced reading packages. They did everything on the up-and-up, paying reproduction royalties to the numerous publishers. Tack on the cost of production and they only came to about $15-$20 each. Considering they were bigger than most textbooks, it was a pretty good value. Plus, no wasted material - everything in the package was something we directly used.
                      Interesting. I've been puzzling over that business model myself, starting a store that made customised reading packages for profs on demand.

Why should the profs have to waste their time photocopying, all they would have to do is send their requested works in sufficiently ahead of time, and the store could whip it up.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Do you really think the profs do the actual photocopying?
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

I don't know how they could avoid having to make a master copy.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Why should an expert in one opinion/theory write theories about other opinions/theories? Do you see the problem with that?
                            Yes, but my point is that costs have to be considered more than they are. I imagine that you could completely ignore costs and produce the absolute best textbook possible, but that it wouln't produce the most net benefit to the student.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              And if you want textbooks to include important material (I assume that's all important material) it's going to be a massive book!
                              No. I'm not saying that. Smaller books are probably better, from the students perspective. But a standards board could pick and choose what the books should include.

Comment

Right after they select what the country's factories are going to produce and who is going to do what job.

Comment

Working...
                                X