Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VetLegion, and if they want to buy that stuff, they will do it the way business is done.

Business men don't let little things like this get in the way.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

This seems to be generating more trouble than the French headscarf ban, which was surely more of a affront to Muslims...

Have there been hostages taken over the cartoons already?
      Well, the Danish Foreign Ministry warns all Danish citizens against travelling in Gaza and on the West Bank, for fear of kidnapping. The Ministry advises Danish citizens already in the areas to leave.

"It is the assessment that there exists a direct threat against Danes in Gaza, not least of kidnapping. The threat level from isolated groups or individuals against Danes is perceived as high. In the present situation, which could escalate unpredictably, we warn against all travel and stay in Gaza and the West Bank."

Just have a little patience, Spiffor..

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

I think Footie is on to something bigger. This is not as much about islam, clash of civs, as about the evolution of political cultures. The need for a deeper understanding of democratic norms.
        It is interesting that the protest is fierest in the Arab world. The muslim communities in Europe themselves don't seem to be making nearly as big a fuss over it. Also don't recall anything from Turkey or eastern Asia.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• It's not necessarily entirely irrelevant to Muslims in Europe have more to lose from this stupid affair than ones in the Middle East.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• DanSed my post.

They've never seemed very shy to make a fuss before.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I did hear of protests in Indonesia. Can't tell you how big they are, tho.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• In related news, Parliament today decided to double the Danish troop contingent in Afghanistan, adding another 200 troops to the 160 already stationed there.

Far Left parliamentarians tried to warn against the decision in the midst of the crisis with the Arab world, and called for a renewed threat assessment from Danish military intelligence.

But the government majority, as well as the two largest opposition parties, refused to let the controversy influence its decision. "We will not halt our efforts of support for Afghanistan over an arbitrary matter", said Foreign Minister Per Stig Møller.

Comment

• Originally posted by VetLegion

Well, if you want to sell stuff to them, you do it on their terms.
                  The countries in question need us more than we need them. The only bargaining chip they have is oil, and if they cut it off we'll take it anyway. Anyways cutting it off would be financially disastrous for all of these countries, so that's an unlikely turn of events.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

It is interesting that the protest is fierest in the Arab world. The muslim communities in Europe themselves don't seem to be making nearly as big a fuss over it. Also don't recall anything from Turkey or eastern Asia.
                    Thats because the oppressive, Muslim-hating European states are silencing their criticism.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Well, in the case of Denmark, we have exports to the Gulf States totalling $1.2 billion per year, which constitutes ~1.5% of our total exports. One company alone, dairy magnate Arla, has exports in excess of $500 million per year. It is bound to be of some concern, not just economically, if this trade relationship were to come to an end.

Comment

• Wow... I must have been in a cave for the last couple of days...

This is scary ****. This could grow into something huge. I guess that I didn't understand how nieve and trully oppressed the people of Islam are under there respective regiems. They appearently truly do not even understand that these newspapers are independant from the government.

Denmark, any other country that does not apoligize , and all newspapers that print these cartoons should be commended.

Denmark
                        Islam Fundies
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Oh yeah:

I'm doing my part!!!

<------ (Flag change) (I know its not much, but what else can I do? Oh, I am thinking of writting an editorial to the local newspaper, but I mean besides that)

One last thing:

Winston
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• I would also show the flag of Denmark to support this, but I'm conflicted because I know the bastards Winston and BlackCat have them also.

So I choose not to do it.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• @ Donegeal

I agree with everything.

Comment

• The French newspaper Le Monde today joined a wider European press campaign in support of freedom of expression, by publishing a drawing of the Prophet Muhammed on its front page.

The drawing is by the paper's longtime editorial cartoonist Plantu, and shows the face of Muhammed made up of countless iterations of the words "It is forbidden for me to draw the Prophet".

The drawing was accompanied by an editorial expressing support for the right to include religion as a target for analysis, criticism and even ridicule.

Plantu was quoted in the paper saying that increasingly, editorial cartoonists and other humourists find it difficult to touch on religious subjects in their work.

Le Monde

Attached is a capture of the drawing from the paper's online edition.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X