I'm a nice guy, but I am very hostile.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Japher
    I don't have a problem with Asher's honesty/arrogance... it's his ego that's the problem
    I'm confident and honest. Provides for a nice ego, doesn't it?

I'm sorry that my confidence annoys you, maybe some day you will have confidence in what you do.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• If they can tell me I'm being stupid, good on them too.
      Obviously I don't know you IRL. All I have to go on is your persona here at 'poly and, based on that, I have trouble believing you actually mean that.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• it doesn't annoy me

I have a good amount of confidence
        in fact
        that's the best thing about me
        the total package; looks, brains, a good tolerance for alcohol
        and yet
        no ego!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
          Obviously I don't know you IRL. All I have to go on is your persona here at 'poly and, based on that, I have trouble believing you actually mean that.

-Arrian
          Happens all the time with friends. We learn from eachother.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
            what?
            Ask a robot "Could you help me?", and it will reply something like "yes, helping me would be in my abilities", and be done with your question.
            Tell a robot "help me", and it will actually help you.

The "could you" form is typically a politeness that is ingrained into us all, and we all understand what the real meaning is (i.e. "I want you to"). But it is fundamentally a way to soften what you really want to express. Same as "please", a buzzword that many want to hear when you ask them something.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• I like to smile and see other people smile, it makes me feel good

so really, my politeness is really just selfishness in disguise
              Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

Ask a robot "Could you help me?", and it will reply something like "yes, helping me would be in my abilities", and be done with your question.
                Tell a robot "help me", and it will actually help you.

The "could you" form is typically a politeness that is ingrained into us all, and we all understand what the real meaning is (i.e. "I want you to"). But it is fundamentally a way to soften what you really want to express. Same as "please", a buzzword that many want to hear when you ask them something.
                Another form of manipulating politeness is posting a thread about how you're in such desperate need for money, and then watch as the cash flows in.

Comment

People become so obsessed with being well-liked that if somebody says anything not positive ("I think you're being stupid") they leap on the defensive to try to correct that opinion. God forbid people think something badly of them...

Politeness is abused. It's fitting into social standards and that doesn't mean much of anything, except perhaps that they're a follower.
                  I don't know. In my late teens, I used to be a follower because I really didn't want anybody to dislike me. Since then, however, as I have become much more self-confident, I have been simultaneously more honest, more able to accept being disliked, and also more polite (more considerate on how my verbal communication comes across my counterpart).

I stand to my initial position: you are believing that your efforts at superficiality constitute most of politeness, whereas politeness is much more than that: it is a way to establish and maintain communication between people who don't have specific protocols between them.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• Actually, I see politeness as another tool to help deal with people.

After all, when you're polite, it's a lot easier to give them the rope they're about to hang themselves with.
                    B♭3

Comment

• Another form of manipulating politeness is posting a thread about how you're in such desperate need for money, and then watch as the cash flows in.
                      If anything, that's manipulating pity.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                        If anything, that's manipulating pity.

-Arrian
                        It's a form of politeness on his part. It's kind of like "Send me money", but more disguised under politeness. Some people don't see it that way right off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                          it is a way to establish and maintain communication between people who don't have specific protocols between them.
                          Politeness is the protocol.

Comment

BS. Most politeness is superficial protocol.
                            C'mon dude. You don't come up to a girl and ask if she wants to suck you. There is no superficiality involved in such a grandiose motive, whatever the means.

And I'm sure you're polite to your bosses and superiors, even those you don't like.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              C'mon dude. You don't come up to a girl and ask if she wants to suck you. There is no superficiality involved in such a grandiose motive, whatever the means.
                              Why do you think I'm gay? Ask a gay guy that, and, well...

And I'm sure you're polite to your bosses and superiors, even those you don't like.
                              Of course, that's business survival. It's protocol.

Comment

Politeness is the protocol.
                                Yes, it's been my point all along

And you know that protocols are useful, since no meaningful communication would exist without them.

Comment

Working...
                                X