No announcement yet.

The 10000$ poker challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just came third in 500+ person tournament. However, it was for some freaking virtual points. I thought it was a freeroll for money, but no, we got some virtual points, that allows entrance to better 'freerolls' where you need those points to participate. What BS.. I thought I won money..

Well anyway, it wasn't that tough, what I've recently gotten myself into is semi bluffing. I don't like to bluff a lot, except when I know I can make the other one lay down the cards. However, semi bluffing I have found very nice, I like to do it when I'm healthy and that usually leads me to some steaming I usually just bluff more when the blinds are big, so it's worth it.

Then again, there aren't many good players in those games.

But I needed to boost my ego some.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

My multi-table tourney strategy is very different. You can't afford to sit on your ass very long in the first little while, otherwise you'll be chronically shortstacked.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Right, of course you need to move in if you're shortstacked. But I'm not the one to grow the stack with bluffing at first. I'll wait for that, move on with good cards at first. Get the most eager ones out first. Avoid the first minute bad beas and the all-in-mania.

Of course this doesn't happen when there's good money involved.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

My point is that since you cannot afford to simply wait out your competition in the multis you should feel that it's your duty to be more aggressive than at a single table tournament in the early stages. Since the blinds will climb yet you will continue to be sitting at a full table you can't pull the same sort of **** I often do at a SNG when there are only 5 or 6 left (the point at which I begin to feel blind pressure assuming I've not managed to make any big moves yet). When there are only 5 people left it's often easier for a short stack to push others around and steal blind after blind. When I'm starting to get short at a full table I'm in real trouble. So I try to avoid getting myself in that situation. If I have a chance to double on 3-2 odds very early in a multi I will take it without hesitation. In a SNG I will be much more cautious early on.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Right, I don't go even on coin flips at the beginning.

Well, depends of course of the bets. I'm saying I'm not going all-in.
            In da butt.

Comment

2 more hours. 338$ total
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

In a fun game ($20 game with friends) a few weeks back I got killed with my worst bad beat. I actually had observed my opponent as being someone that loved aces too much and read him as having an Ace-weak while I held KK. Flop comes down Q73. I bet both pre and post-flop but he called both times. Next card was 5 IIRC so I bet enough to put him all in. He had an A3 and the last card of course was a 3. I couldn't believe he had stayed in !!! Maybe I should have went all-in preflop but frankly with KK I am hoping to do more than pick up the blinds. With this hit I was short-stacked and got eliminated a fw hands later.
                Well, playing no limit you could have forced him to go all in postflop or fold. You would stand only to win the blinds and flop money, but that would have been your only other option. Personally, if a guy is going all in on an ace and a pair of treys, I'd count it lucky to have him in that friendly $20 game. Maybe you could convince them to play a $40 game next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Anybody that knows poker knows that some times, you are just plain unlucky. You can play the hand perfectly, and then get screwed by the smallest percentages.

Yeah... you shrug those off. Sometimes, you will win because of it, and others, you will lose. Over time, skill beats luck. A good player can win with bad cards, a bad player can't.
                  Yeah, this past Friday (actually sometime early Saturday), my eldest son hit 4 fours on me. Playing five card stud!

Comment

dizle, what are the odds for that!

Anyway, yeah, everyone can play good cards. Anyone can play the nuts. But that's not the definition of a good player .
                    In da butt.

Comment

Man, thinking back, I wish I would have learned to play cards back in University. **** doing ****ty jobs in the summer. **** starving because I couldn't afford both rent and groceries. This **** would have been ****ing sweet.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                        In a fun game ($20 game with friends) a few weeks back I got killed with my worst bad beat. I actually had observed my opponent as being someone that loved aces too much and read him as having an Ace-weak while I held KK. Flop comes down Q73. I bet both pre and post-flop but he called both times. Next card was 5 IIRC so I bet enough to put him all in. He had an A3 and the last card of course was a 3. I couldn't believe he had stayed in !!! Maybe I should have went all-in preflop but frankly with KK I am hoping to do more than pick up the blinds. With this hit I was short-stacked and got eliminated a fw hands later.

KH is there any way I SHOULD have played that differently?? I know this guy and he gets too enthusiastic with big hands and would have been raising me pre-flop with a big hand. So I pretty much knew I was starting with the best hand. Or is this one where you shrug and go on about your business.
                        Well I can't tell from your post, but he may have been drawing both straight and flush as well as looking for the 5 outs for aces up or the set.

But with cowboys and the knowlege that he was weaker, I would have jammed the pot sooner. There are a lot of bets between minimum and all-in.

Pocket pairs don't improve very much. The longer you let someone stick around, the worse your odds are. Bet big early. Be content with folds.
                        Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Go get 'em, KH.

I'd take up the challenge, but

1. you're clearly a better player than I am, and
                          2. I just don't have the time.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                          X