Phelps to picket Miners funerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Several years ago a man named "Gay" walked into a gay bar in Roanoke, Virginia and started shooting people. He was upset because he had been picked on so often because of his last name. Several gay patrons died. Phelps and his crew made a trip all the way down here to picket the funerals of the victims. AFAIK no one assaulted them and there were no lawsuits.

I repeat my question. Does anyone know if Phelps or his group have ever won a lawsuit due to someone's response to his protests? There are many places in which the police might take his activities as disturbing the police and would arrest him. In these places he'd have a hard time succesfully sueing.
    OMG I've been to that bar.

Not gay [/magic johnson]
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

It engages in daily peaceful sidewalk demonstrations “opposing the homosexual lifestyle of soul-damning, nation-destroying filth.”

Well Electric Six have something to cure their hate:

GIRL!
      I wanna take you to a gay bar,
      I wanna take you to a gay bar,
      I wanna take you to a gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.

Let's start a war, start a nuclear war,
      At the gay bar, gay bar, gay bar.
      Wow!

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

So what would happen if someone organized massive counter-protests capable of completely walling him off from his target. I'm willing to bet that he'd crack easily.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          So what would happen if someone organized massive counter-protests capable of completely walling him off from his target. I'm willing to bet that he'd crack easily.
          Have you already forgotten Philosophiser? This is a breed of human being that takes opposition as a sign that it must be on the right track. The massive fundy backlash started in part from feelings that the wholesome fringe of America was being ignored and brushed aside. They thrive on "persecution." It validates their existence, tells them their current tactics are working.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The what testament? You mean the Hebrew scriptures?

this relevant and not just a quibble, because the Jewish bible, as historically interpreted by Jews, does not necessarily say what you claim it does. But by calling it the old Testament it would seem you privilege historic Christian interpretations. for example, and most relevantly, many traditional Jewish interpreters would deny that the groups punishments presented in the bible tell us anything about such punishments today, because the destruction of the second temple in 67 CE altered the divine relation to the world, so that miracles of that kind no longer happen. This is before we even get to more modern interpretations.
            the OT doesn't claim God sent disasters? And we aren't talking about traditional jewish scholars, we're talking about Christians who believe God does send disasters.

I'm sure the reason Phelps protested at Goldwater's funeral is because Goldwater had said he didn't care if gays were in the military. Famously he stated that the only thing that mattered to him was if they could "shoot straight".
            But they cant shoot straight, they're gay

Comment

So... did he?

Comment

Not that I can see. Phelps' tactics frequently involve claiming he'll protest, getting a bunch of publicity, then not going through with it -- counting (correctly) on the fact that his unpopularity and insignificance will keep his failure to show up from being mentioned in the coverage of the event.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                X