Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sava
    Gionta 2 more goals
    By the way, this occured in a game where Elias was out sick.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• OH FOR ****ING GOD
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Canadiens fire Julien:

Canadiens fire coach Julien
        Print this | E-mail this | Font size:

Posted: January 14, 2006

Associated Press

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens fired coach Claude Julien on Saturday, with general manager Bob Gainey taking over on an interim basis and Guy Carbonneau slated to become coach at the season's end.

The Canadiens got off to a strong 12-3 start this season under Julien before losing 18 of their last 25 games.

"We have to push back so that we're moving up the standings by putting points on the board, rather than the other direction," Gainey said at a news conference.

Carbonneau said the decision to return to Montreal, where he was an assistant from 2000-02, was an easy one despite the fact he won't take over until next season.

"I really enjoyed the experience when I came here five years ago, being behind the bench with (then-coach) Michel Therrien," said Carbonneau, who has no head coaching experience and was in his third season as an assistant GM with Dallas. "I couldn't wait for a second chance to come back in a different position."

He is replacing assistant coach Rick Green, who was fired along with Julien.

Gainey and Carbonneau, who played together in Montreal and worked together in Dallas, agreed to defer Carbonneau's appointment so he could develop a relationship with the players before taking over.

"I've been gone from here for three years," Carbonneau said. "I don't know a lot of the players that are here, so I think it would have been unfair for me to come in and try to control everything from the start."

Gainey said it wasn't necessary for Carbonneau to make his head coaching debut in the midst of a tumultuous season.

"There really was no reason to drop him into a pot of boiling water when we can drop him in and warm it up gently," Gainey said. "Guy will grab on to where we are and where we're going and what is needed quickly."

Gainey was on the ice for the team's morning skate to prepare for the Canadiens' game Saturday night against the San Jose Sharks.

"The team needed something," defenseman Craig Rivet said. "I think we're slowly sliding in the wrong direction.

Still, Rivet added, "none of us expected this at all."

Julien was hired for his first NHL head coaching job on Jan. 17, 2003. The former NHL defenseman helped the Canadiens reach the second round of the playoffs in 2003-04.

Julien leaves with a 72-62-10-5 record. Green had been an assistant coach with Montreal since 2000.

"The coach is our boss and he makes everyone accountable and if it doesn't happen, like in any job, the guy in charge pays the price," team captain Saku Koivu said. "But it's always unfortunate when it happens."

The 52-year-old Gainey, who played for Montreal from 1973-89, became coach of the Minnesota North Stars in 1990 and acted as coach and GM from 1992-96. He was then general manager of the Minnesota/Dallas franchise until he joined the Canadiens as GM in 2003.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• And Luongo turned down a $30M/5 year contract from Florida...

Luongo turns down $30 million offer

TSN.ca Staff

1/14/2006 10:41:57 AM

Roberto Luongo is looking for more than money from the Florida Panthers.

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel Luongo turned down a five-year, $30 million contract from the Panthers, which is more than $5 million more than he was offered in the summer.

''I just want to make sure we're a playoff team for many years to come,'' Luongo told the Sun-Sentiel. ''I don't want to spend another five years here just watching the playoffs on television.

''It is a great contract for me, but No. 1 is winning a Stanley Cup and having success in the playoffs. After that, money comes second.''

Luongo tells the paper that he is in no hurry to sign a contract and since he is a restricted free agent the Panthers have the right to match any offer he receives after this season.

Comment

• ''I just want to make sure we're a playoff team for many years to come,'' Luongo told the Sun-Sentiel. ''I don't want to spend another five years here just watching the playoffs on television.
            If I were him, I'd want to be traded... like to Vancouver.

(but not for Bertuzzi please)
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'm watching Colorado/Philadelphia on NBC. It's actually quite a bit different than other styles of televised game.

Lots of discussion over play by play.

Comment

• Nice...comparisons to Basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                  I'm watching Colorado/Philadelphia on NBC. It's actually quite a bit different than other styles of televised game.

Lots of discussion over play by play.
                  Yeah, it's the same thing I hate about the OLN games.
                  ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• NBC

I'm watching the Rangers/Detroit on HD, and it's far, far, far, far better than OLN's coverage. The graphics actually look like they were created after 1985! And Doc Emerick is always a great play by play guy.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• The Colorado/Philly game is SD.

Comment

• Well, since the Rangers are doing decent this year, no surprise they'd put the 1st team and the HD in the Rangers' matchup against Detroit. Philly may be better, but the Rangers play in NY.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• WOW... Jokinen's shootout shot in the game against Boston was absolutely steller.

Comment

• Tonight has been designated as BlowOutNight...

Comment

• I've lost my goalie stats, except for the shutout.

There goes my 7-0 lead. Damn you, Garon/Joseph!

Comment

• Great sales night for Bertuzzi! Trade shouldn't take long now...

Comment

Working...
                                X