NHL Fantasy League - Game On - Episode VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus, Garon is killing me.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Ninot
      I'm with Asher on that one.

Elias maybe never had more G than A, but its almost 50/50 for many of his seasons. That qualifies as a goal scorer to me.
      There is a difference between a goal scorer and a "puck hog".

The latter doesn't even exist at the NHL level. Even Rick Nash would not qualify with his stats last year because Columbus does not have anyone else to pair him with that can score.

Anyone who thinks that a Patrick Elias coming back somehow hurts Gionta/Gomez line combo is just insanely retarded... it's hockey-stupid to think that.

You can go ask Gionta and Gomez themselves whether or not they would rather be playing with Elias on their line or whether or not they'd rather have him sitting on IR.

Asher's argument is just so ridiculously stupid it's funny.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
        Anyone who thinks that a Patrick Elias coming back somehow hurts Gionta/Gomez line combo is just insanely retarded... it's hockey-stupid to think that.
        It "hurts" the Gionta/Gomez line in that Gionta's goal production will be lower.

When you've got an all-star goal scorer on your line, that's what happens.

Asher's argument is just so ridiculously stupid it's funny.
        You've no idea what you're on about...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

It "hurts" the Gionta/Gomez line in that Gionta's goal production will be lower.

When you've got an all-star goal scorer on your line, that's what happens.
          YES... Having 2 goal scorers on the wing between a playmaking center is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• You still don't even understand my argument, even in bold.

It's a good thing for the team, it's a bad thing for Gionta's individual goal production.

Comment

• it has no bearing on his goal production

he's still going to get his chances

that line is just going to produce more overall...

YOU ARE NOT SUBSTRACTING ANYTHING

YOU ARE JUST ADDING SOMETHING

take it from someone who has actually played at the semi-pro/college level

but nevermind, YOU ARE AN EXPERT BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING WELL IN A FANTASY LEAGUE
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• you think Iginla's stats (goals) would suffer if you put Kovalchuk on his line?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• You oversimplify the game, Sava.

Adding 2 goal scorers on the same line does not simply add, it has a bigger impact on the line. This isn't a simplistic videogame...

You've got 2 people to pass to: Elias or Gionta...who do you pass to? I'd pass to Elias any day.

Without Elias in the lineup, that'd have gone to Gionta.

Take the simple situation like that, and extrapolate it. Gionta will still score goals, he's just not the #1 guy on his line anymore. That will likely impact his individual goal production.

I'm sorry if you don't grasp the game's depth enough to understand it. It's not simple "adding scorer = teh better for everyone on the line!!" like you seem to think.

Comment

you think Iginla's stats (goals) would suffer if you put Kovalchuk on his line?
                    Yes.

Absolutely.

His +/- and assists would improve, his individual goal production would be reduced.

Comment

You oversimplify the game, Sava.

Originally posted by Asher
                      You've got 2 people to pass to: Elias or Gionta...who do you pass to? I'd pass to Elias any day.

Without Elias in the lineup, that'd have gone to Gionta.

Take the simple situation like that, and extrapolate it. Gionta will still score goals, he's just not the #1 guy on his line anymore. That will likely impact his individual goal production.

sorry Asher... I can't continue this discussion. You lack a basic understanding of the game. It doesn't quite work the way you describe in your post. In the middle of a game, you don't have time to decide who you would rather pass to... you just react. You work through your game plan and what you've practiced and rely on your teamates to do the same. Maybe if you played organized hockey at a high level and have had the years of experience I have had you'd understand.

Have a good night.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes.

Absolutely.

His +/- and assists would improve, his individual goal production would be reduced.

Wow.

Just...

Wow.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

sorry Asher... I can't continue this discussion. You lack a basic understanding of the game. It doesn't quite work the way you describe in your post. In the middle of a game, you don't have time to decide who you would rather pass to... you just react. You work through your game plan and what you've practiced and rely on your teamates to do the same. Maybe if you played organized hockey at a high level and have had the years of experience I have had you'd understand.

Have a good night.
                          But... but... it's so much fun to watch!
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• You want a simple example?

Craig Conroy.

Look at his stats last season on Iginla's line (where Iginla was the #1 on the line) to this year on LA. Night and day.

The fact that you think adding a goal scorer to a line will pump up everyone's stats across the board is funny enough, but to dismiss my opinion so easily further cements your opinion to that of the "ill-thought-out-simplistic" side of the spectrum.

I'll agree it's anything but a sure thing, but based on my years of following the NHL I'd say it's not exactly outrageous to expect a goal scorer like Elias to lower Gionta's goal output. There is pressure from the coaches "why did you take that shot when Elias was open!! We could have had it!", there is pressure from your team for the same thing. There is also the fact that your linemates will not be as likely to give the puck to you as much, as there's another very talented winger (arguably more talented) to pass to...

Comment

• Or you get a Heatly, Spezza, Alfredsson line that lights up the score board, and everybody on the team goes to +25.

Did they detract from each other?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                                Or you get a Heatly, Spezza, Alfredsson line that lights up the score board, and everybody on the team goes to +25.

Did they detract from each other?
                                Nope, that's just damn good chemistry. That's the exception.

They're actually proven to be rather sh*t this season without the full line in tact. All 3 are considered to be of extremely high calibre and at the same level, while Elias is usually considered to be #1 and Gionta #2.

Comment

Working...
                                X