Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So your in the year 500 ce.... island in the sea of time time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, don't thread jack my thread! lol

Comment

I'd probably freeze to death if I wasn't trampled by bison first.

Comment

Well I'm totally FUBARed! I'm in central Florida, so in 500ad/ce, I'd have to contend with snakes, alligators, and worst of all mosquitoes. Besides about a week worth of canned food, I don't really have very many good provisions for a wilderness excursion. So I'd have a computer, cds, tv, dvd player, clothes, a little food, very little water (which i would need most of all), brita water pitcher.

Things I don't have, but would need.
        *Guns
        *Tools (especially a knife, ax, shovel, hammer)
        *survival gear
        *compass
        *books
        *flashlights
        *fuel
        *my car (it's over 50 feet away)
        *walkie talkies
        *solar cells
        *survival, science, and technical books

I guess I'd head for the coast which is about 45 miles away, and see what happens.

Comment

Oh and one random thought is that the US won't have horses for about another 1000 years.

Comment

No, but we'll have "iron horses" centuries before that...
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
              Well I'm totally FUBARed! I'm in central Florida, so in 500ad/ce, I'd have to contend with snakes, alligators, and worst of all mosquitoes.
              How is this different from today?
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I end up only a few miles away from the Saxon settlement that would eventually become Norwich. So if my initial plan of becoming a wise hermit with knowledge of medicine and the future doesn't help me out, I might try my hand as a merchant.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

In 500 AD I would be positioned in a garden or wineyard just outside of Augusta Trajana. I guess that the city would be populated by Slavs mostly but under the firm control of the central Byzantine government.

The region has various resources and is probably relatively densely populated. If I'm lucky my father's books about metalurgy and machine building would be within the 30 yard radius. I would also have some cars at my disposal and a lot of tools.

My best chance of acheiving world domination would be to ally with the local ruler then later become emperor of the Bysantine empire. After that send expeditions to the Americas and Asia to collect valuable plants whyle building up the industry at home.
                  After that I would be unstopable
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

I'm assuming people within 50 feet of us go back in time too.

I'd be transported back to the island of Montreal, 500 C.E.

With me, i'd take a class full of political science students. As the island might or might not be inhabited (the native indians were a bit nomadic at the time), so it will be handy to have a good 30 or so university aged Montreal females around, to get a civilization going.

As all the other guys in my class would be clueless as to what just happened, i'd have an edge, and use it to make myself chief of our new tribe.

We'd have with us about a dozen laptops, each with, assumably, 2 hours of battery life. We'd also have a tun of textbooks, mostly on political science. That might be useful, but not if i plan to dominate the world.

Hopefully one of the science classes on the floor above us (within 50 feet) has some kind of solar pannels. we could use these to perhaps generate energy for our laptops. Then we'd be rolling.

I'm tired of thinking. Since most of the students are flaky, i assume we wouldnt last long, and die off. I'd try and sleep with all the girls first tho.
                    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

Things I don't have, but would need.
                      *Guns
                      *Tools (especially a knife, ax, shovel, hammer)
                      *survival gear
                      *compass
                      *books
                      *flashlights
                      *fuel
                      *my car (it's over 50 feet away)
                      *walkie talkies
                      *solar cells
                      *survival, science, and technical books

I
                      Well I lucked out since I was sittin in my den two-three feet from the east wall of my house which is 8 feet from my neighbors house. I believe I would get all of both houses included. I'll assess myself against your list

*Guns-- I have none but my neighbor has at least two rifles and a shotgun-- I don't know how he is fixed for ammunition

*Tools (especially a knife, ax, shovel, hammer)-- we have the mother load!! more than one of each of the foregoing plus ample nails, screws, twine saws etc. My neighbor also has a lot of power tools that we might eventually find a use for.

*survival gear-- I have more clothes than I need plus various windbreakers, gore-tex, winter boots, gloves etc etc not in a bad way
                      *compass-- don't have one
                      *books-- lots -- including my wife's basic nursing/anatomy texts and a boy scout Handbook
                      *flashlights-- only one in my house that works
                      *fuel -- very limited-- one 20lb propane tank and moderately full gass tanks in our two cars
                      *my car (it's over 50 feet away)-- depending who is home next door, we might have 4 vehicles-- definitely had 2 but frankly I would trade 3 cars for 500 Lbs of propane

*walkie talkies-- nope
                      *solar cells-- nope
                      *survival, science, and technical books --see above

IN addition we have 3 bicycles and a bunch of extra tubes, more children's toys than you can count, a wheelbarrow, rope, some food and water, lots of electronics, 3 condoms and one bottle of lube.
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Things I would need:

Clothes

Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X