Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So your in the year 500 ce.... island in the sea of time time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of like marriage between ppl of the same sex

(that's a lovely troll, I'm proud)
    Monkey!!!

Comment

If it doesn't matter why change what everyone's been calling it for thousands of years? Pointless change for no good reason.
      You know, I completely agree with you, and that's why I've been using "AD" and "BC" all my life.

What are you on about, anyway?
      Funny -- that's what I was asking you, and you countered it with the same question without answering

You see, the issue is NOT what you want to call AD -- the issue is that you attacked and ridiculed Vesayen for his use of CE instead of AD, claiming that he was still referring "to christs birth whether you call it CE, AD, or ADHD". Now that you've been proved wrong, you refuse to recognise it and suddenly try to confuse the whole thing by quoting one-liners and by providing snappy, irrelevant, nonsense answers and counter-questions.

Continuing this non-debate threadjack would most probably be pretty amusing, but one must consider the following:
      Attached Files

Comment

I looked around and I have about 20 liters of apple juice, a lot of frozen food which I can probably keep frozen for the next 4 months, a sack of potatoes (which I dare not eat since I'll need to plant them( and 6 bottles of water (the water cooler bottles)--

So provisions wise, I am ok and should easily survive the winter. The problem would come when my provisions start to run out (although if I get my neighbor's house as well -- without my neighbor I'll be really well provisioned). I can plant potatoes in spring and try to hunt now. AS well I can try to learn how to snare rabbits. Its something some friends of mine did when we were teens and I watched what they did but don't hold out much hope for success ( I would likely try to peel the stucco off one of the houses to access the wire underneath)

Ahh Fishing--- Fishing could be my savior. The nearest river is a couple of miles away and my neighbor has all the fishing gear. I could bicycle down there on my mountain bike towing my baby stroller.

I'm not certain what the native populations would bge like here in Calgary but I would assume that since Calgary is based around the meeting of the Bow and Elbow rivers, that they would be present. MY big decision would be the extent that I would try to interact with them. The undeveloped areas around my house are heavily forested (mainly deciduous trees here now but thich coniferous forests within a mile) so I would have to assess how hidden my house would be. If it were completely completely in deep forest, I might try to keep its location a secret even if I did try to make contact with the locals.

Oh ya, heat . .. I have 2-3 BBQ lighters around and a couple of packs of matches so I guess its wood fires. In my house itself I have a pretty good amount of fuel but living in a wooded area would help since I would have an axe and a number of saws. The only problem is that a fire might attract the locals
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
          Funny -- that's what I was asking you, and you countered it with the same question without answering
          Well, to my credit, I genuinely did not understand what you were talking about.

You see, the issue is NOT what you want to call AD -- the issue is that you attacked and ridiculed Vesayen for his use of CE instead of AD, claiming that he was still referring "to christs birth whether you call it CE, AD, or ADHD". Now that you've been proved wrong, you refuse to recognise it and suddenly try to confuse the whole thing by quoting one-liners and by providing snappy, irrelevant, nonsense answers and counter-questions.
          I don't understand exactly how I was "proven wrong." He said that he prefered CE/BCE because it didn't make reference to Christ's fictitious birth. I pointed out that the name change doesn't change that - CE still uses the same date as a reference point, and what date is that? Oh yeah, a reference to Christ's fictitious birth.

But clearly, yeah, I'm totally wrong. Sure.

Continuing this non-debate threadjack would most probably be pretty amusing, but one must consider the following:
          Brilliant. But if this is what you think, why are you on Apolyton, posting in the OT?
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I immediately join the Church (for protection), and I devote my life teaching principles of hygiene and base principles of medicine.

The 6th century was a pretty rough time in western Europe...
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

For anyone who knows, what was Vienna doing in this time? I'd guess it would just be another wilderness, populated by Germanic tribes camping in the Roman ruins.
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I'm trying to get a sense for the population density and number of native groups travelling through what would become Calgary. I'm thinking that contact may be inevitable, possibly even necessary but also wondering if seclusion might not be an option. My house is up on a hill and well away from the river so I really have no idea of how often native groups would come that close
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                  Why should I, when AD and BC seem to work just fine?

Fine you call it AD and BC, I'll call it CE and BCE, I wont challenge your use (and as a general rule I DONT challenge the use of AD) and you dont challenge CE. And we'll let the genius of the language decide if the change takes hold or not.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

@VJ

I WIN!!!!
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Brilliant. But if this is what you think, why are you on Apolyton, posting in the OT?
                      For the same reason I read other forums and wikipedia: I'm here to read contributions which enrich my field of knowledge about the world; and also to quickly correct BS when I see it so others, like me, who are searching for further information wouldn't need to briefly pollute their minds with errors and fiction.

Many people contribute -- people like you seem only to post in order to feel superior towards the ones they're constantly mocking, thinking TEH INTAR WEB was invented so they could play constant argument games against other people .

I'm sorry about the threadjack, Ves. Since I have no tools whatsoever to cut wood in my immediate vicinity, I'd most probably freeze to death, southern Finnish winters used to be a lot more harsher over a thousand years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                        If it doesn't matter why change what everyone's been calling it for thousands of years? Pointless change for no good reason.
                        Well everyone hasnt been calling it that for thousands of years. The dating system wasnt really established until the early middle ages, and plenty of competing systems were used WITHIN the Christian world for centuries after that.

And of course they didnt call it BC. It used to be in" aCn" ante christe natum - since Before Christ isnt good Latin. Somehow we managed the change from aCn to BC, and I think the change to BCE is just as manageable.

I happen to think the reason for change is good. Good enough for me to make the change in usage. If you dont, then stick to the old usage.
                        Last edited by lord of the mark; November 30, 2005, 13:23.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                          Many people contribute -- people like you seem only to post in order to feel superior towards the ones they're constantly mocking, thinking TEH INTAR WEB was invented so they could play constant argument games against other people .
                          Please. You make a post like this and say I'm trying to feel superior to others? You've got a lot of nerve, gloating about how I've been "proved wrong" and then, as soon as I deny that, ignoring what I said and posting this garbage about how you are the true enlightened elite of the internet. What a hypocrite.

Comment

On a more related note, it seems Vienna was at this time a former Roman outpost, so it's likely that somebody would be living here. I speak some German, but I don't think that would help me.

I might not be totally up a creek, however, because the Roman name for the place means "good wine."

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

You're funny.

You're still referencing Christ's birth, whether you call it CE, AD, or ADHD.
                              Originally posted by lord of the mark

Im using the date, but not saying who is or isnt my lord.

Its like saying this is the 230th year of American Independence, vs saying this is the 230th year of My Beloved Country.

Get the difference?

Bingo, basically.

Comment

Can we stfu about this now and get back to the topic of the thread?
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X