The sad case of Conrad Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bernardo? Homolka's guy?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Yes.
      A sexual deviant who murders women or should I say teenage girls after he plays with them for awhile.

Comment

Kinky.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

and deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            I don't know about that. It could be that the US and Britain don't have the same sort of bilateral agreement as that between the US and Canada whereby citizens can apply to serve jail time in their home country's prisons.
            I would assume Britain does have the bilateral agreement, as it does have them with many countries around the world. The only difference that I am aware of is that in Britain you serve the time that you have served in the foreign country's jail, as opposed to the maximum that you would have served had the crime been commited and tried in Britain. This is not true of most other European countries and possibly Canada. So maybe he's hoping his sentence could be shortened if he was to go to Canada?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

AFAIK you serve the time in Canada that the US sentences you to.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't know how parole etc. works. I would assume that a US parole board hears your case and decides if the Canadian authorities should release you or not.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Interestingly, the US-Canadian bilateral agreement doesn't apply to West Virginia and Delaware.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    I wonder how many US citizens actually apply to spend jail time in a US prison if the option to stay in a Canadian prison is open to them...

This reminds me of the jails in "Canadian Bacon"
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm a little confused about this whole title thing. Canada officially has the Queen as the head of state so if the head of state decided to give someone a title then wouldn't that be ok?
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No. Our Parliament passed a resolution (not a law) in 1919 which prohibited Canadian citizens from taking British or foreign titles or honours. It was felt that the large number of British honours conferred upon Canadian citizens in the aftermath of WWI was detrimental to the development of a Canadian identity.

No PMs since Borden have been knighted as a result.

There is no enforcement or punishment mechanism behind this simple Parliamentary resolution. Diplomatic protest to the conferring government or sovereign is the only avenue open to the PM. The British are known to step lightly where matters of Commonwealth sovereignty are concerned, so it's likely they wouldn't proceed if the PM made an issue of it, though they were of the stated opinion that conferring an honour on a dual citizen shouldn't present the same problems. Conrad Black sued the Canadian government and lost because it was held that the use of a diplomatic protest to forestall the conferring of foreign or Commonwealth honours on a Canadian citizen was a matter which fell entirely within the prerogative of the Prime Minister's Office. He then shortcircuited the appeals process by renouncing his Canadian citizenship. As soon as he did so, of course, the protest was withdrawn and the ceremony went forward.
                        Last edited by KrazyHorse; November 27, 2005, 00:57.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

WWI
                          What?

Comment

Oops. I meant WWI. So used to typing WWII that my fingers did it for me.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Why did the Brits want to make Conrad a knight anyway? Did he slip something into their or tea or what?

I say ole boy. Lets smoke some of this tea ole chap. Then we will put you in this suit of armour and you can parade about the castle grounds bye crocky. Toot,toot and tally ho look at Conrad go.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Webster
                                Why did the Brits want to make Conrad a knight anyway?
                                Not just a knight; he was made a Peer of the Realm, i.e. a Lord
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X