No announcement yet.

Let's talk about George RR Martin's "A Feast For Crows"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's almost definately not permanently blinded, probably just temporarily for training.

There's LOTS of cliffhangers where it seems that a character's dead (the Hound, Arya a couple times, etc.) so until I see a character's corpse or proof that they're permanently disabled I'll never believe it. For example I'm sure Theon is still alive...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

She's almost definately not permanently blinded, probably just temporarily for training.

Yeah, but it'd be cool if she was permanently blinded and had super sixth sense abilities... no, I'm not really serious
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
        There's LOTS of cliffhangers where it seems that a character's dead (the Hound, Arya a couple times, etc.) so until I see a character's corpse or proof that they're permanently disabled I'll never believe it. For example I'm sure Theon is still alive...
        I don't think so - not the right type of priest up in the North.

And what's up with the resurrection but no healing? Leaves you in a pretty nasty state.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I don't think so - not the right type of priest up in the North.
          There's no evidence that he ever died, just that he got knocked out. And with Martin I don't believe any deaths unless I see the bodies. I'm positive that he's a living, if somewhat uncomfortable, prisoner of the Boltons...
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

OK, no evidence, but he doesn't have any value as a prisoner.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

He is the eldest son of the Balon Greyjoy, King of the Iron Isles and the North. True, there was a Kingsmoot where Euron was chosen, but Theon is the 1st born son of the prior king and has a claim... just in case there is a need to kick the Ironmen out.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

He only has a claim by "green lands" standards. The Ironmen considered him soft, since he had spent so much time there. He was not reinforced when he chose to hold Winterfell. IF he is still alive (my feeling is he's not), then whoever ends up the final ruler could install him as a puppet.

Comment

I also think that Davos Seaworth is still alive.

It wasn't a bad book, but it was certainly a lot less interesting than SoS. Martin was setting up the background for what ought to be an awesome book. The religious upheaval in the South was neat, as was the succession crisis for the Ironmen. Jaime's chapters were fantastic, and Arya's taking an interesting turn as usual.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                    He only has a claim by "green lands" standards. The Ironmen considered him soft, since he had spent so much time there. He was not reinforced when he chose to hold Winterfell. IF he is still alive (my feeling is he's not), then whoever ends up the final ruler could install him as a puppet.
                    Yeah, but it may not be up to the Ironmen to choose their next leader when they get beaten down for getting too uppity. It would a "green land"er who would make the decision.

Comment

The Ironmen might even want a weak monarch. Remember that the Vikings started raiding outside of Scandinavia in the first place because the strong monarchies in Norway and Denmark were encroaching on chiefs' authority. Placing someone like Theon on the Iron Throne might satisfy the Nobility's desire for autonomy, reduce the threat of raids and colonization of the continent by the Ironmen, and cement an alliance between Dreadfort and Pyke.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

Davos is also definately alive. If just about every case I can think of, in GRRM if there's any iffyness about wether someone's alive or dead they're alive. And GRRM NEVER kills off major characters off-screen.

Also Theon is such a whiny bastard that I'm sure the Boltons would enjoy torturing him far too much to kill him...
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

AFFC had two of my three favorite characters - Arya, Jaime and Tyrion

Comment

Working...
                          X