Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But Oklahoma-Nebraska was one of the top rivalries of all time. Sad it had to die.

Indeed...
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Why was it stopped?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Hell if I know. They're in different divisions in the Big 12, but that really shouldn't matter.

Teams rotate who they play in the Big 10, but up to two games are protected for each team--Michigan always plays MSU and OSU, for instance. I don't see what they couldn't do that in the Big 12, so that Oklahoma always plays Texas and Nebraska, Texas always plays Oklahoma and A&M, etc. Come to think of it, maybe they do--Oklahoma always plays Texas and Oklahoma State, don't they?
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Why was it stopped?

Just isn't the same now that Nebraska and Oklahoma play each other two years on and two years off. Rivalries kind of die off if the teams don't play each other annually.

Teams rotate who they play in the Big 10, but up to two games are protected for each team--Michigan always plays MSU and OSU, for instance. I don't see what they couldn't do that in the Big 12, so that Oklahoma always plays Texas and Nebraska, Texas always plays Oklahoma and A&M, etc. Come to think of it, maybe they do--Oklahoma always plays Texas and Oklahoma State, don't they?

Teams in the same division of the Big 12 play each other every year, so OU plays Texas, Oklahoma State and the other Big 12 South teams annually. Nebraska is in the Big 12 North though, so the two teams play two years in a row and then are off for two years while OU play the other half of the Big 12 North.
          Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 7, 2005, 22:04.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
            I wish we could have chosen one North team to play every year.

Comment

• That seems reasonable; I imagine that OU-Nebraksa wouldn't have been the only rivalry preserved if that was the case.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Actually, there aren't really any other rivalries between Big 12 North teams and Big 12 South teams. Most of the old Big 8 and its rivalries are in the Big 12 North; only Oklahoma and Oklahoma State got put into the Big 12 South with all the former Southwest Conference teams.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Rivalries kind of die off if the teams don't play each other annually.

Indeed. I was hoping in vain that the BCS this year would have Penn State v. West Virginia in the Fiesta, paying homage to an old rivalry that died when Penn State went to the Big 10.

Oh, as for Houston Nutt's vote in the Coaches' Poll, he apologized to West Virginia. He said while he was shifting teams, he accidently left them off. Rich Rodriguez accepted the apology.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Oh lord. Now we have apologies for votes?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Why not? Some of those coaches SHOULD apologize for their votes.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• I think it just politicizes the process. Anyway, I think including a coaches pool in something like the BCS is ridiculous anyway. The opportunity for self-dealing is just too great.

Comment

• I think it just politicizes the process.

Since when have college football polls not been about politics?

Comment

• I wish they'd return to the original balance between human polls, computers and SOS in the BCS formula. The current incarnation has become too driven by human polls in an attempt to placate critics who will be anti-BCS no matter what.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• AJ Hawk's dating Quinn's sister?

Fraternizing with the enemy. She should wait until after the bowl game.

Comment

• Well, the Bush winning the Heisman thing came and went. I can now go cry in my beer that Notre Dame's 7 trophies has been matched by USC and that USC probably will match Notre Dame's 11 concensus national titles.

But wait until next year... Quinn v. Young.
                                Last edited by DanS; December 11, 2005, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X