This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops, wrong thread!
    Last edited by reismark; December 6, 2005, 01:12.
    CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
    Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
    Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
    Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• Originally posted by reismark
      I hope everyone now shuts up about the Seahawks. They were my preseason pick to win the NFC for a reason, you know. I look forward to the Bucs meeting them in the championship game
      I'll almost be willing to bet neither the Seahawks nor the Bucs have been mentioned in this thread.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• We need a Bowl Poll.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Oops, wrong thread
          CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
          Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
          Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
          Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
            We need a Bowl Poll.
            Meaning what, exactly?
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Solomwi
              But none of those have the vomit-inducing heartstring appeal that two guys on the field having played together or against each other in little league does.
              Well, it's a good story, and has a lot more layers than you might imagine. The peewee football story is merely an introduction. Take a look at OSU's roster below.

Unlike Notre Dame's players who are a national crew, Ohio State's players are almost all from the area -- they're Ohio boys. There are 3 players from Dublin Coffman on OSU's roster who played with Quinn in high school, when he set all of the high school's passing records. There are dozens of players on OSU's roster who played against Quinn in high school.

Chinedum Ndukwe played at Coffman too, so it's both offense and defense.
              Last edited by DanS; December 6, 2005, 18:20.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• It's a good story mentioned once, regardless of how many OSU players played with Quinn back in the day. It becomes not so good a story when every time Hawk makes a tackle, Brent Musberger wonders aloud if he tackled like that when he played against Quinn in pee wee ball. The high school aspect shouldn't surprise anybody any more than a player UF pulls out of Georgia having former teammates across the field in the Cocktail Party. Hardly worth mentioning.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• Well, with all due respect to Georgia and Florida, the fact that this is Notre Dame and Ohio State makes this a little more worth mentioning. These are probably two of the five most storied schools in football history. (Toss in Michigan, Nebraska, and let's say USC or Oklahoma.)

Comment

• It's novel and interesting because the Irish and Buckeyes had no prospect of playing each other before this Fiesta Bowl, and this is sort of like Quinn's own personal challenge on his way to being the first player since Archie Griffin to win back-to-back Heisman trophies (planning ahead ). Also, it's a story that hasn't been told yet.

Besides, I wanna see Quinn pass like crazy against Carpenter, who is from my home town.

Just give it a chance, Ebeneezer.
                    Last edited by DanS; December 6, 2005, 18:44.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Go Texas!

Comment

• Flame War!!!

Well, with all due respect to Georgia and Florida, the fact that this is Notre Dame and Ohio State makes this a little more worth mentioning. These are probably two of the five most storied schools in football history. (Toss in Michigan, Nebraska, and let's say USC or Oklahoma.)

I don't know how you slipped Michigan into that list when Alabama is still around. And USC and Oklahoma both best the Wolverines...

edit: Going by the number of national titles won since 1950, here's the top 5 programs...

1. Oklahoma - 6 titles (50, 55, 56, 74, 75, 85, 00)
                        2. Alabama - 5.5 titles (61, 64, 65, 73, 78, 79, 92)
                        USC - 5.5 titles (62, 67, 72, 74, 78, 03, 04)
                        3. Miami - 4.5 titles (83, 87, 89, 91, 01)
                        4. Nebraska - 4 titles (70, 71, 94, 95, 97)
                        5. Notre Dame - 3.5 titles (66, 73, 77, 88)

Ohio State finishes close behind Notre Dame with three national titles since 1950. Michigan, meanwhile, has only half a national title in that period. Top 5 program? I think not...
                        Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 6, 2005, 20:56.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• #1 in total victories and winning percentage. Longest bowl streak. 10 National Championships. I think Michigan would belong.

If I had to drop one from my top five list, it would probably be OSU.

Comment

• If we're going to count ancient national titles, then Yale and Princeton are the two best programs in the nation with 18 and 17 national titles a piece.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• To be fair, "storied" would seem to imply an inclusion of at least some national titles before 1950. Admittedly, I have a hard time including all of the Yale and Princeton national titles, so the dividing line is somewhat arbitrary. But making the line 1950 is especially unfair to Michigan and the Irish.
                              Last edited by DanS; December 6, 2005, 21:54.

Comment

• Even if you go back to 1931, Michigan still isn't in the top 8 according to the Wikipedia article I linked.

But making the line 1950 is especially unfair to Michigan and the Irish.

True, but the Irish were good enough in the last half century to crack the top five, unlike Michigan, which was kind of my point...
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X