This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    I've lived in the NY media market. And I've lived in other media markets. NY's is harsh, no matter what the NY Times Sports Editor tells you. Just listen to NY sports talk radio. It's brutal.
    Oh hell yes its brutal. NY, Boston, and Philly (i.e. the NorthEast Corridor) are absolute hell when it comes to sports reporting harshness. Sports radio alone in those markets is like no other.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Just saw the last AP polls....

14 Auburn
      15 Wisconsin

Didn't Wisconsin just whoop the piss outta Auburn?

Polls are stupid. Throw rocks at them.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• USC deserved to lose. They played like a bunch of ****ing morons. Frankly, I don't know why anyone thinks their coaches are good. With that group of players, they should be able to walk over anyone by controlling the clock, not turning the ball over, and kicking when they're stopped on third down. Some of the problems were with play-calling, and some were with decisions the players made on their own.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Do you really think that, say, after the Notre Dame-USC game that anyone from Notre Dame was thinking that USC was the better team? I bet you all of 'em were thinking they were the better team, but USC just made the plays.
          Roo?

Our boys played their hearts out, the fans screamed their guts out, and the coaches coached their best. But USC was the better team.

Likewise, OSU was a slightly better team than Notre Dame.

However, I thought ND was better than Michigan State, but Michigan State made the plays...
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Oh hell yes its brutal. NY, Boston, and Philly (i.e. the NorthEast Corridor) are absolute hell when it comes to sports reporting harshness. Sports radio alone in those markets is like no other.
            So, the NE Corridor is a bunch of whiny *****es?

Here, Mack Brown walks on water, wwhich is why I can not stand him.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• You say whiney *****es, they say passionate fans/media. Tomato, tomahhto.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                Roo?

Our boys played their hearts out, the fans screamed their guts out, and the coaches coached their best. But USC was the better team.

Likewise, OSU was a slightly better team than Notre Dame.

However, I thought ND was better than Michigan State, but Michigan State made the plays...
                And are you a player for Notre Dame .

I'm sure the players thought (but didn't come out and say), after the game, that they were an overall better team than USC, but USC was able to make the plays in the end.

That's just the nature of big time athletes. In a close game, they should think they were the better team, and if they lose, they shouldn't think well the other team is better than us. NO! They should think that if they played again next week, they'd win. Saying the other squad is a better team is almost like saying we can't beat them.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And USC would have won if the White could go one inch more... could have, would have, should have, doesn't matter.

And saying that I don't see how X can win the game, their whole run is a fluke is a clear cut, obvious statment that X team is getting blown out.
                  1 inch? Did you see where he got stopped?! That spot, just like most of the other spots for USC all night, was EXTREMELY generous. The refs did everything they could to beat Texas (with the exception of the missed call on the Young lateral), but the horns still pulled it out. That was some of the worst officiating (and commentary by announcers) that i have seen in a very, very long time.

Anyway, It's a good time to be in Austin! GO UT!!!
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• and for the record, bush had 177 total yards, not 260+....Young had more than that rushing. Me thinks heisman should have gone to young.
                    "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                      great game. Glad Texas won. good think they held onto Mack Brown, eh?
                      Ahh, the memories of www.firemackbrown.com ......

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaak
                        1 inch? Did you see where he got stopped?! That spot, just like most of the other spots for USC all night, was EXTREMELY generous. The refs did everything they could to beat Texas (with the exception of the missed call on the Young lateral), but the horns still pulled it out. That was some of the worst officiating (and commentary by announcers) that i have seen in a very, very long time.

Anyway, It's a good time to be in Austin! GO UT!!!
                        Homerism is fun, isn't it?

The refs tried all they could to beat Texas. I wonder if anyone who wasn't a homer would say the same thing? I mean the Young lateral was a pretty good break for Texas as was the non-fumble call later in the game on the Texas WR. The refs were all in all very fair and they used replay to correct any mistakes they may have made.

And no, I don't think the spot was all that generous at all. That was about where White got stopped, and it was thiiiiis close to a 1st down. Watch the replays and where the computer generated yellow line was.

For the record, Texas had 4 penalties called on for 34 yards, USC had 5 penalties for 30 yards. 4 PENALTIES (including a few obvious unsportsman conduct - late hit out of bounds and roughing the passer)! Yeah, the refs were really out to get them!

and for the record, bush had 177 total yards, not 260+....Young had more than that rushing. Me thinks heisman should have gone to young.

He had 5 kickoff returns for an average of 20 yards that you didn't count.

And one game doesn't make a Heisman. I'd still give it to Bush as he was the better player this season overall. Without Bush, USC has at least 2, if not 3, losses, before the bowls even begin.
                        Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; January 5, 2006, 15:14.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I mean he didn't come out and say it just to say 'nyah'. He was asked a question and he answered truthfully. And if I recall correctly, Leinhart said "I felt we had the better team, but they just made the plays in the end". I don't remember him saying "we still are better", but, like any other player in a similar situation, he probably thought it.
                          Oh, I remember that. The group I was watching the game with was very impressed with the sportsmanship of Pete and the USC team, and was almost feeling sorry they lost (almost) until they went to Leinhart and he did his sarcastic, "We're still the better team." blip.

Then someone yelled, "Yeah, whatever, LOSER!"

and we all laughed.

Comment

• Imram: It was an incomplete pass...you should brush up on your football rules. The receiver has to make a "football move" in a situation like that for it to count as a reception. He didn't have time, that's why it was ruled an incomplete pass by the refs. I was astounded that the announcers (hence the comment above) didn't know or didn't comment on that. As for the lateral, it was a blown call, but Texas was also denied a legitimate intereception on one of USCs scoring drives....And if you didn't think the spot was off, I'm not sure what game you were watching. he barely made it to the 46 yard line, and the ball was spotted closer to the 47. Also, kick returns don't generally figure into total yards in stats keeping, and none of his returns were anything special.

Comment

• And one game doesn't make a Heisman. I'd still give it to Bush as he was the better player this season overall. Without Bush, USC has at least 2, if not 3, losses, before the bowls even begin.
                              And how many games would texas have won without Young? Did you watch any texas games this year???

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaak
                                Imram: It was an incomplete pass...you should brush up on your football rules. The receiver has to make a "football move" in a situation like that for it to count as a reception. He didn't have time, that's why it was ruled an incomplete pass by the refs. I was astounded that the announcers (hence the comment above) didn't know or didn't comment on that. As for the lateral, it was a blown call, but Texas was also denied a legitimate intereception on one of USCs scoring drives....And if you didn't think the spot was off, I'm not sure what game you were watching. he barely made it to the 46 yard line, and the ball was spotted closer to the 47. Also, kick returns don't generally figure into total yards in stats keeping, and none of his returns were anything special.
                                Having posession of the ball is good enough. I mean if the reciever just stood there for 10 minutes without making a move, and the ball was knocked out, would it have been an incomplete pass? Come on.

No, and I didn't think the spot was off. But then again, I didn't have a dog in the fight, so I'm not apt to blame the refs for screwing my team.

And kick returns most definetly do figure into total yards! They don't in "Yards from scrimmage", but they do in total yards... and Bush had a 30 yard return which is a pretty nice gain.

And how many games would texas have won without Young? Did you watch any texas games this year???
                                Yes I did. He did very good and was deserving of being invited to New York for the trophy presentation, but Bush was better this year. I mean he averaged 8.7 yards a carry this year while running for 1740 yards, all the while splitting time with LenDale White who ran for 1302 yards himself!! He also scored 16 TDs, even though White got more carries in the red zone (LenDale had 24 TDs). He also had 37 receptions (3rd on USC) for 478 yards. Bush had a phenomenal year and his efforts against Fresno and UCLA were absolutely jaw dropping.

Listen, I think Young was great (passing for over 3000 yards and running for almost 1000 doesn't happen often), but he wasn't as impressive as Bush, though it is pretty close between the two.

Comment

Working...
                                X