Immigrant Riots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigrant Riots

Paris has been having immigrant riots for the last couple of days. The UK had immigrant riots the other week. So I've been wondering when the last real immigrant riot happened in the US and why it seems like it's less of a problem here. Is it the threat of deportation? When was the last immigrant riot here in the States that you can remember?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Paris suburb hit by more rioting

Nine youths are being held by French police following a third night of unrest in a Paris suburb.

A spokesman for the local authority in Clichy-sous-Bois said the youths had been throwing missiles and petrol bombs, and 15 cars were set on fire.

Three hundred police officers in mobile units are on patrol in the town, which has a large immigrant population.

The violence began on Thursday after the deaths of two local teenagers said to have been fleeing police.

The authorities deny that officers were chasing the boys, who were electrocuted after entering an electricity sub-station.

March

Saturday saw hundreds of mourners pay homage to the teenagers by holding a peaceful procession in the suburb.

Marchers observed several minutes' silence and laid flowers a few metres from the spot where Ziad, aged 17, and Banou, 15, died.

The violence on Saturday night was significantly less than on the two preceding nights, police said.

On Friday, 23 police officers were reported to have been injured in clashes involving hundreds of youths and riot police.

An investigation into the boys' deaths by judicial and internal police authorities is under way.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

immigrants

riots

immigrant riots

jerry lewis

france

french bashing

ted striker

WORD UP DONT GET IT TWISTED
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Didn't you have some minor disturbances in California a couple of years ago ?
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

But those people have been around for many generations.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Could be, but the reasons was the same - that is a feeling of persecution based on being member of some special ethnic group.

Immigrants in europe doesn't as such riot - there is a specific reason behind every time wether it's true or not.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: Immigrant Riots

Originally posted by DanS
            Paris has been having immigrant riots for the last couple of days. The UK had immigrant riots the other week. So I've been wondering when the last real immigrant riot happened in the US and why it seems like it's less of a problem here. Is it the threat of deportation? When was the last immigrant riot here in the States that you can remember?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Are you using immigrant riots as a euphemism for race riots?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The reasons might be the same, but the attributes are different. For instance, the threat of deportation.

Comment

Re: Re: Immigrant Riots

Originally posted by Dauphin
                Are you using immigrant riots as a euphemism for race riots?
                No euphemisms. I'm making the distinction of immigrants/non-immigrants here. That might mean race riots in Europe, but it doesn't necessarily mean race riots in the US.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Immigrant Riots

No euphemisms. I'm making the distinction of immigrants/non-immigrants here. That might mean race riots in Europe, but it doesn't necessarily mean race riots in the US.
                  I only ask because the cause of the riots in Birmingham last week were not linked to immigration (directly or in the form of deportation risk). They were caused by the alleged gang rape of an Afro-Caribbean girl by an Asian gang. The particular area also has a history of racial tension.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The reasons might be the same, but the attributes are different. For instance, the threat of deportation.
                    Wich threat of deportation ? It is quite difficult to get someone deported in europe - they at least need to do some serious crime end then it still isn't easy.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

They were caused by the alleged gang rape of an Afro-Caribbean girl by an Asian gang.
                      I consider that an immigration issue, at least as far as this discussion goes (a comparative discussion between the US and Europe). As far as I know, those two communities are largely first generation or second generation immigrants?
                      Last edited by DanS; October 30, 2005, 15:29.

Comment

BlackCat, I think Dan is claiming that deportation of green card holders would be quite easy in the US if they break the law.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

More than that, millions of immigrants don't even have green cards and could be deported ASAP if the government actually cared that they were in the States (i.e., they are illegal immigrants).

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            BlackCat, I think Dan is claiming that deportation of green card holders would be quite easy in the US if they break the law.
                            Well, I guess that Dan doesn't know much about european immigration - I'm not sure, so don't hang me, but I don't think that any european country has a "green card" policy - you are either in or out, and if you are in, it is very difficult to be deported.

Even deportation of illegal immigrants is difficult.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

More than that, millions of immigrants don't even have green cards and could be deported ASAP if the government actually cared that they were in the States.
                              The Goverment does care, they care for the businesses that use the immigrant's illegal status to exploit them. Businesses WANT the immigrants illegal because those immigrants won't complain about crap treatment like they could if they were legal.

Comment

Working...
                              X