• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sava

5-0 WITH MY SHIRT BABY!!!
    Do you wash that shirt between games?

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• yeah

I do the laundry on Saturdays

there may be some superstition involved here, but I am not about to wear a smelly shirt
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
        yeah

I do the laundry on Saturdays

there may be some superstition involved here, but I am not about to wear a smelly shirt

But, I bet some people were wondering
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming

But, I bet some people were wondering

especially since last week I spilled beer all over myself after Peanut Tillman intercepted that pass in overtime...

YYAYYAYAYYAAAYYAYAA GOOOO GOOOO O OOOHHHH MYY GODDD TOUCH DOWWNWNNN

YAYYAYAYYAYY!@#*!**!!!!
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Greg lewis just got screwed on the incomplete pass call.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                Imran, the reason Sava's at least partly right, in the case of the Cincy game, is that teams who get a lot of turnovers actually end up with much lower total yardage.

Just imagine Cincy vs the Bears, if the Bears punted each time instead of throwing a pick or whatever. Cincy would have had ~40x5 more yards to gain - 200 more yards... and on top of that, the big lead they had meant they didn't have to push very hard for yardage, they could be slow and run the ball to manage the clock; while the Bears had to push hard and try to gain big chunks of yardage, inflating their yardage stat.
                Usually teams with the higher turnovers (edit: turnover RECOVERY to clear up any potential confusion) have a greater amount of yardage, because they end up with a greater time of possession. If you run and manage the clock, you keep the other offense off the field and thus prevent them from gaining yardage. When you have a team that is run first, they aren't going to get getting big chunks of yardage inflating their yardage stat... especially without scoring. Even a pass first team, if they got chunks of yards, would be in scoring position a lot.

Aside from that, having how many ever yards to gain doesn't mean much if your offense isn't moving the ball that well. Cincy in that game did not march up and down the field. If they had to start further back, there is no guarentee they would have gained more yards. Perhaps this argument works when you have a team that is gouging the other team for yardage, but in that game, Cincy was not.
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; November 6, 2005, 23:25.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• You guys crack me up.

Comment

• REDSKINS win!

On 4th and 4 with 1:25 left, McNabb throws an INT!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Great game. Washington D was tough.
                      Eagles now in 4th place in the East.
                      And with a pretty tough schedule remaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Usually teams with the higher turnovers (edit: turnover RECOVERY to clear up any potential confusion) have a greater amount of yardage, because they end up with a greater time of possession.
                        sigh...

I had to snip because most of that post was what is known as "football stupid"

Here is how it works Imran.

When a team gets a takeaway, it can affect the overall offensive yardage stats in a few ways.

1. for the other team

The team can take it in for a defensive TD. After the XP they will kick it right back and the other team will possess the football again, getting even more possession time and yardage if they can move the ball.

2. for the team that got the ball

If the defensive team does not score and is within scoring range, they can get some yardage, but not a lot... this is what happened with Cincy... they got interceptions and were about 20-30 yards from the end zone... and it took one big play to get a TD

3. not really at all

the turnover does not affect the overall flow of the game much because the team does nothing... basically, if it is a long interception, it can almost be like a punt... the only thing the turnover will really do is affect the field position game. In the scheme of things, it might affect a scoring drive maybe 3 or 4 possessions later, but for the short term, the turnover does nothing.

I admire your willingness to debate Imran, but most of your posts are just football cliches. Your posts lack substance and clearly they lack anything that resembles decent football analysis.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Eagles can't (or rather WON'T) run worth ****, that's their problem. I doubt they'll make the playoffs.

Comment

• Only winning by a touchdown. I was sure they'd screw up. Can't believe they pulled it off.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• When a team gets a takeaway, it can affect the overall offensive yardage stats in a few ways.

1. for the other team

The team can take it in for a defensive TD. After the XP they will kick it right back and the other team will possess the football again, getting even more possession time and yardage if they can move the ball.

2. for the team that got the ball

If the defensive team does not score and is within scoring range, they can get some yardage, but not a lot... this is what happened with Cincy... they got interceptions and were about 20-30 yards from the end zone... and it took one big play to get a TD

3. not really at all

the turnover does not affect the overall flow of the game much because the team does nothing... basically, if it is a long interception, it can almost be like a punt... the only thing the turnover will really do is affect the field position game. In the scheme of things, it might affect a scoring drive maybe 3 or 4 possessions later, but for the short term, the turnover does nothing.

How many fumbles or ints get returned for TDs? A small amount of them. Most of them get stopped short of the end zone, giving the offense another possession. Sure, you could say it was like a punt, but if the other team is driving, it isn't really. It cuts the other drive in the bud and starts up your own drive. You could give it right back if you go 3 and out. For the most part however, the team that gets the turnover usually makes a 1st down or two before returning it to the other team (either by punt or kickoff).

In your Cincy game example. What you are arguing is that if Chicago punted the ball away, Cincy would have gotten more yards. Cincy had 5 INTs and scored 4 times, twice on TDs and twice on FG. It doesn't seem like they marched up and down the field, even with their good field position (would have scored more TDs). If they had, perhaps you could argue more total yards by the Bengals.

Compare the top turnover teams with the top total yardage teams. Most of the teams on top half of the turnover chart are also in the top half of the yardage chart. Granted some of the higher turnover teams are low on the yardage charge (and some teams very low on the turnover chart are high up on the yardage chart... namely St. Louis), but if you look at the whole, the teams that get turnovers usually get yards.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

The correlation is about 2/3rd (2/3rds of the teams in the top half of the turnover chart are also in the top half of the yardage chart)
                              Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; November 7, 2005, 00:22.

Comment

• Yeah... the eagles are toast this year. It will be interesting to see how they handle TO now. If they still think they have a chance, they might try to work something out... But after last nights loss, it doesn't look promising.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X