No announcement yet.

Rape victim: 'Morning after' pill denied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please post any evidence you have of women that have died from this pill.
    Will have to wait for now. I gotta go with my ride home.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So why then do the textbooks say conception? That pregnancy begins when the child conceives?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

And exactly what textbooks are you talking about?

Conception does not equal pregnancy. Most fertilized eggs never implant in the uterus to begin with.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          weed isn't a legal drug which a pharmacy is supposed to deliver.

But it's critical and essential to the person that wants it!! I'm just showing why we don't use "critical and essential to the person that wants it" and rather use critical and essential in the eyes of most people.

it's a pill that can prevent an pregnancy after intercourse and can thereby prevent an abortion.
          Your argument fails because weed isn't a legal drug that a pharmacy is supposed to deliver. I think that you need some practice before trying a court.

Yes... but you can have an abortion a week later (or whenever you know you are pregnant). So I ask, how is it critical or essential, when you can get rid of a pregnancy later on? The increased cost and difficulty later doesn't make it more 'essential' or 'critical'. To me those words mean that if you don't get them, you're dead (btw, while I am pro choice, I don't consider abortion to be essential or critical either, unless you will die if you try to have the kid).
          There is a hell of a difference between a pill the day after and an abortion. I don't give a damn about the financial costs - I'm talking about mental and physical costs of an abortion.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Why is it a bigger step? As I said, we already have Medicare. While requiring every pharmacy stock the drug or order it if it doesn't have it isn't as precedented.

Are you that dumb? Why is requiring pharmacies to stock the morning-after pill AND subsidizing the purchase of it a bigger step than simply requiring that they pharmacies stock it?

But I have a question, Patroklos did bring up Catholic hospitals. They don't provide abortions. Late term abortions can be FAR more critical and/or essential than a morning after pill. Would you require them to perform abortions? If no, why not?
            If it turns out there are areas that only have Catholic hospitals which are unwilling to perform abortions, yes. However, I highly doubt there is an issue here.

Comment

Your argument fails because weed isn't a legal drug that a pharmacy is supposed to deliver.

You miss the point entirely. Society doesn't look at what is 'critical and essential to the person that wants it' because that may definetly not be critical and essential to society. Weed is a good example. WHY IS IT ILLEGAL even though some people may consider it critical and essential (med marijuana)? Because society says it isn't critical and essential.

There is a hell of a difference between a pill the day after and an abortion. I don't give a damn about the financial costs - I'm talking about mental and physical costs of an abortion.

And yet it is an alternative. So how can it be critical and essential if there is an alternative, even counting the mental and physical cost? You are severly downgrading what critical and essential means.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                If it turns out there are areas that only have Catholic hospitals which are unwilling to perform abortions, yes. However, I highly doubt there is an issue here.
                Rest assured, if there were a life-threatening emergency, a Catholic hospital would perform the necessary procedure.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

And yet it is an alternative. So how can it be critical and essential if there is an alternative, even counting the mental and physical cost? You are severly downgrading what critical and essential means.

You sound like Ben. Having a C-section is also an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    Are you that dumb? Why is requiring pharmacies to stock the morning-after pill AND subsidizing the purchase of it a bigger step than simply requiring that they pharmacies stock it?

Who said I was requiring pharmacies to stock it, if I subsidized it? Subsidizing doesn't mean pharmacies are required to keep it in stock. They can simply refer the person to another pharmacy that has it. Or they can get it through the mail.

There are plenty of areas where the only hospital in a 20 mile radius (or something) is a religious hospital.

Though I find your solution to be abhorrant (ie, making the private hospital perform the abortion). Sometimes I wonder how sincere you are when you praise the market.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• There are plenty of areas where the only hospital in a 20 mile radius (or something) is a religious hospital.

Though I find your solution to be abhorrant (ie, making the private hospital perform the abortion). Sometimes I wonder how sincere you are when you praise the market.

Is this supposed to be some sort of argument? Abortions also aren't necessarily time-critical in the way the morning-after pill is, and so you can always go to a more distant one. Hell, I commuted 20 miles to work every day over the summer...

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Your argument fails because weed isn't a legal drug that a pharmacy is supposed to deliver.

You miss the point entirely. Society doesn't look at what is 'critical and essential to the person that wants it' because that may definetly not be critical and essential to society. Weed is a good example. WHY IS IT ILLEGAL even though some people may consider it critical and essential (med marijuana)? Because society says it isn't critical and essential.
                        Nope - society can both say something is critical and essential and still band it as it has done it with weed, heroin etc.

Because it's the best for the patient.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Who said I was requiring pharmacies to stock it, if I subsidized it? Subsidizing doesn't mean pharmacies are required to keep it in stock. They can simply refer the person to another pharmacy that has it. Or they can get it through the mail.
                          The morning-after pill? Remember the whole point being that it is time-critical?

Subsidizing it is pointless if there are areas where people can't it in time. Exactly why my stancee has nothing to do with what you're proposing, and you just really really want me to bring up an argument you may actually win.

Comment

• Pardon me if I destroy the flow of the thread, but has anyone here been in a relationship where they needed this? I have, and I bet if any one of these pharmacists got into a similar situation, they'd much rather have the option of this than having a loved one get a surgical abortion.

And thumbs up to Planned Parenthood for providing affordable birth control and gynocological services for the uninsured. Although I don't agree with everything they are up to, they provide valuable services for American women.
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              All of your economic arguments are bull**** for the simple reason that it makes economic sense to stock the morning-after pill.
                              Not so. Considering if the pharmacies have slow moving stock they have tied up cash flow in inventory that doesn't turn and subsequnetly goes to spoilage they may indeed have good economic reason not to stock a given drug.

Depends onthe clientelle and velocity of sales of the given SKU.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• In general, yes that's entirely possible. However, in the specific case of the morning-after pill I think it's clear there's demand, else the issue wouldn't come up (especially with such depressing regularity).

Comment

Working...
                                X