"I say slack off a little, in the interest of workers everywhere."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Striking a balance

I too get paid on how productive I am. In addition to my base salary, I collect commissions and bonuses based upon how much I sell. I can definitely sell more by working more hours and when I am travelling (which is 3 - 5 days a week - 3 weeks per month), I am away from my family (except for those few occaisions when I can arrange to bring them with me). However, at some point, enough is enough. My family lives comfortably and we are able to save a bit. Thus, when I am not travelling, I definitely slack off at work (like posting here and leaving at 3PM).

As for productivity vs. hours worked, I think the better model is one of diminishing returns. At some point, the extra produced per hour worked begins to drop off and eventually reaches 0. However, this drop off and zero point are probably different for each individual.

LC - Ming's company is employee owned.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
      I pretty much work 11 hours a day... and I get FAR more done than I could in 8 hours. During the 8 traditional hours, I'm in meetings, on the phone, answering email... it's the 2 and 1/2 hours in the early morning, and the last hour that I get a lot of stuff done

Believe me when I say that if I could get everything done in just 8 hours a day, I would. It's just not possible. And I do get compensated for my efforts
      Don't you have a family who are deserving of your attention too?
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You work hard, you get paid for your efforts. If you are a slacker, you get treated like one.
        Reminds me of a line from Chico Marx:

You pay me a little, I work a little.
        You pay me a lot, I work a lot.
        You pay me too much, I work too much.
        Ming is a [Chico] Marxist!

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          Then not all profits are handed out to the employees.
          ALL empoloyees have equity in the company... and any money left over at the end of the year (profits) is handed out based on your "value" to the company.

Your point?
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
            How do you manage to stifle the general hatred of the public being a cashier causes?
            I was a cashier for a long time and then a supervisor fo cashier of some sort (worked in a cinema) and it never caused me many problems, I actually liked the job.
            I think the main important thing is to have a nice split between yourself at work and yourself the rest of the time.

Comment

ALL empoloyees have equity in the company... and any money left over at the end of the year (profits) is handed out based on your "value" to the company.

Your point?

My point is you are teh Commie!!!!
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Its really a balance you have to strike for yourself between work and other things. I could have devoted my whole life to my employer, many people do, but I think its foolish. So family and the like are important to me and I've taken some hits in the advancement stakes as a result. I don't regret it at all. My father, who I admire a lot, did exactly the same for us. He didn't want to be an absent Dad.

I kind of feel sorry for the top guys sometimes because many of them don't have much of a life outside the job, have been divorced, don't know their kids, don't have hobbies or interests outside the job. They get rewards certainly but their life is full of pressure and uncertainty so it all kind of evens out.

Only you can work out what works for you.

All I can say to you kiddies out there is make the most of your talents and opportunities and you will find your way.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If I work hard, my collective makes more money, and then, so do I. If I were to be lazy (like it sounds like some people here are), the collective would make less money... and then, so would I.

Communism
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                  X