No announcement yet.

The Manly Man thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My paternal grandfather was an industrial worker who, in his spare time, went out in the woods and axed down great trees. Plus, he was an alcoholic, tho essentially dry by the time I was born (he was 63 then). I'm roughly as eager to compete with him in being a manly man has having my penis eaten by gerbils.

My maternal grandfather is a farmer-turned-preacher who went back to farming after retirement. He's also a royal *******. On the bright side, he's somewhat in awe of me, because he thinks very highly of his intellectual prowess, and I'm rather alot brighter than him.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
      I'm roughly as eager to compete with him in being a manly man has having my penis eaten by gerbils.

Don't knock it.

You should try everything twice, except incest and folk dancing.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I'm driving the university ladies tennis and basketball teams to Southampton and back in a minibus tomorrow...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I'm an OK hockey player, i know how to weld (badly), use a blow torch (OK), operate a forklift, drive an 18 wheeler and operate a diamond drill. The last one is the one my grandfather would certainly be most proud of, since that's what he did for the better part of his life.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
            I'm driving the university ladies tennis and basketball teams to Southampton and back in a minibus tomorrow...

Hmmm.... MOBIUS is pate, if the ladies get tanked up and frisky afterwards.

Unless they're all lesbians (unlikely)....
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

My brother's toe got chopped off by a forklift

So far this thread has taught me that most of y'all are pussies.
              Its taught me that lots of people have been hurt by forklifts
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py

Oh come on, rhododendrons are so flimsy.

Try getting this out with your bare hands. It took me 1 week... and I had an axe (which barely even worked half the time).

This is a New Zealand Flax plant, can grow about 2.5 meters high.

I know nothing about that plant but a WEEK ??? Why not use a shovel and then chop the roots. I took down a 35 foot tree using that method ( that and a pickup truck that I attached to the stump)
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I know nothing about that plant but a WEEK ??? Why not use a shovel and then chop the roots. I took down a 35 foot tree using that method ( that and a pickup truck that I attached to the stump)

My father and I took down a similarly-sized pine tree in about 12 hours using this method (ropes, shovels, an axe and a pickaxe were the only tools employed)

We couldn't use a truck because of the tree's location.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    Oerdin, you did 2 miles under 10 minutes? That's a really good time... really really good. How much could you do in 12 minute run? I think my best ever was 2 miles in 12 minutes, and that was when I was peaking several years ago, can't get anywhere near that now.
                    That was at the end of AIT after 8 months of the army...er... "encouraging" me to run faster.

That was 8 going on 9 years ago so now days I'm no where near that fast and would be lucky to break 14 minutes. BTW the world record is like 6 something so I was WAAAAYYYYY off from be super fast. Still, it was pretty fast and it shows that with enough practice just about anyone can do it.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My father and I took down a similarly-sized pine tree in about 12 hours using this method (ropes, shovels, an axe and a pickaxe were the only tools employed)

We couldn't use a truck because of the tree's location.
                      My method was similar but I used the truch at the end simply because the stump was so heavy and there was a root I could only partially chop unless I wanted to excavate for a lot longer. PLus I was around 15 and thought using the pickup was "cool"

Oh and whats with forklifts?? My most strenuous job was in a lumpfish roe plant where we put put 275 lbs of roe in a barrell and then topped it with brine to a weight of 325lbs. We used to ship in truckloads of 171 barrells and found that we were faster with no more staff (5) with or without the forklift. The plant didn't have a loading bay but instead the truck would park facing downhill and we used a long skid to roll the barrels up to the truck (about 5 feet off trhe ground).

Also our salt came in 88lb bags. Thats not a lot of weight but when two guys are offloading a truck with 500 bags. THAT was a summer I really got in shape

Comment

Forklifts were used to stack the pallets of **** in warehouses I've worked in.

They were generally loaded and unloaded by hand, though.

I worked a summer in a warehouse which shipped goods to Inuit villages in Northern Quebec. That was a tough job. The containers we packed were often above 45C due to having sat out in the sun for months on end.

I loaded more than 2 million cans of Pepsi that summer (in 24 can cases)
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Let's see if I can remember how it went...

6 cases placed with their long side against the back wall and 2 with their short side = 44 cans per row

8 cases high before we had to stop loading to avoid going over weight = 352 cans per layer

~140 cans deep = ~ 50000 cans per container
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Let's see if I can remember how it went...

6 cases placed with their long side against the back wall and 2 with their short side = 44 cans per row

8 cases high before we had to stop loading to avoid going over weight = 352 cans per layer

~140 cans deep = ~ 50000 cans per container
                            I have a similar experience with McCain's frozen cakes.

4 cakes to a box. Hand balming 53' trailers.

The smell of one of these cakes will still bring back memories...
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I can engage a man to man duel in football without falling over. I also have a pretty good kick.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                                *cough*whipped*cough*
                                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                                X