No announcement yet.

Religious extremists oppose cervical cancer vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given how the religious right has started anti-vaccine campaigns so often in this country I'm surprised that the HepB vaccine has gotten such wide spread acceptance. Typically the religious right will find that one in a million case where someone had a pre-existing condition and the vaccine causes an adverse reaction then they start a hysterical "OMG, THE SCIENTISTS ARE ALL N00BS WHO KNOW NOTHING; STOP THE VACCINATION OR YOUR CHILDREN WILL DIE' campaign. It is scary how common such ignorant campaigns there are against everything from vaccinations to fluoridated water.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's still a very popular belief that the MMR vaccine causes autism.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
        Nothing new here. Religious nuts would rather people died than allow stem cell research. I suppose "pro-life" has the be heavily qualified as a descriptor.

I always imagine any group that has to label itself 'pro-life' or 'moral' is usually fundamentally at odds with its own description- rather like the old G.D.R., which I supposed managed to be 'German' and a 'Republic', but failed miserably at being 'Democratic'.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
          I wonder how these people would react to a HIV vaccine?

I wonder what they would say to my patient who got HIV from being raped?

Something along the lines of 'Deus lo veult'... ?

Remember, John Paul II urged the victims of rape who became pregnant to carry the foetus until full term.

Now there's true compassion and understanding of a woman's lot from a celibate male.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

DanS.

By the way DanS - ever hear of rape? Or abuse?
            Ever hear of not being patronizing?

Well, I guess Guynemer's (and the other peoples') post(s) solved that. Ever heard of dealing with actual issues? Seriously, I have watched this unfold for years, and as someone who both wanted to become a priest, and who was a pre-med major with a 3.97 GPA before my mother's illness, watch the field with much interest.

DanS, you never did answer my question.
            What would be the right basis then?
            as in your statement
            I do fear that this vaccine will give people a false sense of security, but I think it wouldn't be right to oppose the vaccine on this basis alone.

DanS, on what basis would it be proper to oppose it!!! Think about it, an old-style financial conservative apologizing for those who want to interfere with the science? Would you agree with faith-based economic planning? Don't be loyal to the current Republican platform, people respect you even when they disagree with you, when you are an old style Republican financial conservative. Get in bed with the sex police, and you'll erode the respect you've built up. And when you statements indicate even partially apologizing for the sex police, especially when they are interfering with hard fact - yes, I'll be patronizing.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

It is scary how common such ignorant campaigns there are against everything from vaccinations to fluoridated water.
              to nuclear energy and GM foods

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Of course, abstinece is still the only way to prevent all STDs, etc.

Incorrect. Crabs, molluscum contagiosum, hepetitis, HPV, and maybe a few others, can be spread by non-sexual contact. Crabs, MC, and HPV don't even require direct human-to-human contact.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

We aren't suppose to bring up facts, Che.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

From my understanding, there was a case in Georgia back in the 90's where a bunch of women sharing a hot tub all got HPV. It caused our local YMCA at the time to shut down their hot tub, due to the not just the new chlorine requirements for hot tubs, but the problems with sterilizing them due to the plumbing. I can just imagine some poor really hot lady telling her husband - "I got it from some chick in the hot tub, it's not like I was having sex."
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      Originally posted by DanS
                      Of course, abstinece is still the only way to prevent all STDs, etc.

Incorrect. Crabs, molluscum contagiosum, hepetitis, HPV, and maybe a few others, can be spread by non-sexual contact. Crabs, MC, and HPV don't even require direct human-to-human contact.
                      Why does it hurt when I pee?
                      I don’t want no doctor
                      To stick no needle in me
                      I got it from the toilet seat
                      I got it from the toilet seat
                      It jumped right up
                      ’n’ grabbed my meat
                      Got it from the toilet seat
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Boris:

Prolifers have no problem with adult stem cell research. Why prolifers would be in favour of experimentation that requires the death of another person, seems very silly to me.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I was expecting fetal tissue in the vaccine, which would explain the position. I also find it interesting how one 'fundy' who warns that a vaccine that will increase risky behaviour could cause problems later on would be responsible for the deaths of people.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

In recent years the HepB series has generally been given in the first year of life.
                            Oh. I guess I just got it when I was 13-14 because that's when it came available then...
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              I was expecting fetal tissue in the vaccine, which would explain the position.
                              This puzzels me a bit - I haven't heard anything about this vaccine should be based on stemcells wich would be the onlu reason to use fetal tissue.

I also find it interesting how one 'fundy' who warns that a vaccine that will increase risky behaviour could cause problems later on would be responsible for the deaths of people.
                              Well, if someone listens to this fundys warning and therefore denies his/her children of this vaccine, then it would be reasonable to blame the fundy of the death of this child if it get the disease and dies because of it.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X