Why Do People let Themselves Get Obese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- and who invented the Sandwich?

(as a way of eating and playing strategy games at the same time, no less - the Earl of Sandwich - a true civver!)

Comment

As a former obese who lost 40 kgs I can tell that you start getting obese for lack of family love, which quickly gets replaced by chocolate and EVERYTHING edible. When you realize you are obese the reactions are:

-you notice it and you don´t like it
      -you try to lose weight
      -for some mysterious reason, you cannot lose 10kgs in one day so you get depressed
      -you eat twice as before
      -you eat and stop caring about others´ opinion and invent excuses for your being obese, like health problems
      -you eventually stop going out as it´s too shameful
      -you eventually die at 50
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I know it's not very sound health advice, but smoking instead of eating for oral comfort does keep the pounds off. At a price, for sure, but at least there's more chance of scoring.

If heavy eating means an early demise anyway, it might even be te lesser of two evils...

Comment

true, smoking replaces the need of eating (those lard-avalanches you see around never smoke after all) and increases metabolism as well (in order to get rid of the toxins, and to balance the decreasing lungs capacity
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

That is hopefully sarcasm, as I see plenty of obese people who also smoke compulsively.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I guess I could lose 20lbs but I can still easily run 5 miles without trouble so I'm not to bad off. Both of my grand fathers were skinny though my father is more then a little over weight. It has to do with him being an alcoholic who has a two bottle of wine per night habit. That will make you fat very fast.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                true, smoking replaces the need of eating (those lard-avalanches you see around never smoke after all) and increases metabolism as well (in order to get rid of the toxins, and to balance the decreasing lungs capacity
                Lots of fat and skinny people smoke. Supposedly people who stop smoking often gain weight since 1) their sense of taste sharpens to the normal human level without the cigarettes fouling everything up 2) people get anxious due to going cold turkey with nicotine and eat due to that.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

My problem - I love to eat for the sake of eating and I prefer spend my free time playing Guild Wars than hitting a gym
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                    (as a way of eating and playing strategy games at the same time, no less - the Earl of Sandwich - a true civver!)
                    He should be the patron saint of gamers
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                      That is hopefully sarcasm, as I see plenty of obese people who also smoke compulsively.
                      That could mean that they would be far fatter after quitting smoking.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

From purely anecdotal evidence, it seems if you are very overweight it reduces your maximum life quite dramatically. I see very few obese people over 70, maybe all the 70+ went on crash diets, but I doubt it somehow.

Also very few of the 70-90 bracket smell of smoke when I see them. It seems if you want to have a retirement to enjoy, you had better look after yourself sooner than that
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

You want my honest opinion?

I say let them die. My sister is obese and I tell her time after time to stop. Additionally, I try to lead by example by eating less or eating less calorie intensive foods.

Yeah, I'll splurge every now and then by eating some fattening foods or drinking a whole lot of beer, but overall, I'll maintain a regular diet.

I told her this and she told me "You've always been more self-disciplined than me." My whole point of view is that these people that are obese are always going to look for a way out. Unless they feel a need to change internally, they are never going to change.

And, unfortunately, I say let them die. Some of these guys know their lifestyle is going to kill them and they still do it. Let em. Being as fat as a whale makes em happy? Go right ahead.

I got family members that are (were) obese, and I let them go. If you don't have enough personal willpower to change, you deserve whatever you sow.
                          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                          *****Citizen of the Hive****
                          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I say let them die.

It's a lifestyle choice. I don't diss fatasses because some of them have other priorities than being healthy (or looking good as it seems to be for PA ) -- such as concentrating on trying to study and understand the world around them or simply doing their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

It's a lifestyle choice. I don't diss fatasses because some of them have other priorities than being healthy (or looking good as it seems to be for PA ) -- such as concentrating on trying to study and understand the world around them or simply doing their jobs.
                              VJ speaks truth.
                              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                              *****Citizen of the Hive****
                              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Like theres anything wrong with trying to look good, especially when it makes you healthy at the same time!
                                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Working...
                                X