Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Delay indicted, to step down as Majority Leader...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VJ

Repeat until true. You're a model republican
    It's not a matter of truth since we'll never know, it's only an opinion. We're all entitled to one, and lord knows we see a lot of different ones here.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

DeLay and his minions already have latched onto their talking point in desperation: That Earle is a fanatic partisan.

Of course, the fact that Earle has prosecuted twice as many Democrats as he has Republicans in his career throws a bit of a wrench into that meme. And what about DeLay's own Republican congressional colleagues, who censured him a record 4 times for misconduct? Were they fanatical partisans, too?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

He should have stepped down voluntarily when all this started. He knows he's guilty.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

DeLay, for all his faults, has been an effective legislator and majority leader. Hopefully Roy Blunt will be as effective a majority leader as DeLay was. And if people think that David Drier will be running things equally with Blunt, they have another thing coming

Also, I was sitting at a fundraiser around noon and it was very, very gloomy. The Republicans all sat down that morning and discussed how DeLay would be indicted. A former Nixon guy said "We could lose the majority". It's going to be an ugly couple of weeks.
          Last edited by Timexwatch; September 28, 2005, 17:56.
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

now hopefully he will be convicted, and sent to a federal POUND HIM IN THE ASS prison
            He's facing 6 months to 2 years with a $10k fine. Considering he illegally took a [/s]bribe[/s] contribution of $190k this is peanuts. They didn't even charge him with taking the money and just with trying to hide that he took the money.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
              And whichever traitor outed Plame...
              That would be Karl Rove. Everyone knows it too.

About the only way the current crop of Republicans leaders could get any worse is if Bush pardons these crooks and liars on his way out the White House door in 2008.

Comment

A former Nixon guy said "We could lose the majority".

They deserve it after throwing in their lot with Bush!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  a) I don't understand this artificial distinction between parliamentary systems and the US system. The US is a parliamentary system, and the operation of the legislative branch is fairly similar in US and Westminster.
                  The distinction between a parlimetary system and the US system is VERY large. The US most certainly does NOT have a "parlimetary system", and the differences are much more important. I mean, the obvious difference between a system in which the person running the system is in the Parliment himself and must sit in thier discussions, and one in which the Exectuive is fully divorced from the legislative should be simple to understand.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

According to CBS, the new Majority Leader will be Blunt. Does this expose Hastert's weakness?
                    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                      DeLay, for all his faults, has been an effective legislator and majority leader.
                      Effective at illegally funneling money in a "bribe the Republicans and you get to write your own laws" system. That's why Delay could command such obedience from the junior Republicans in the house. He controlled the magic money machine which made illegal bribes legal contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                        According to CBS, the new Majority Leader will be Blunt. Does this expose Hastert's weakness?
                        Why? Does Blunt not like Hastert?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

From CNN:

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as Wednesday night to act on Hastert's recommendation.

Comment

And before anyone tries to say it, Rep. David Dreier IS NOT a moderate...

David Dreier, "Moderate"?

Like Kevin Drum, I don't much care whether David Dreier, the GOP's "interim" House Majority Leader, is gay or not, but I do take exception to this profile of the guy from the Washington Post:

Dreier has a more moderate voting record on some social issues than DeLay, for example opposing a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage that DeLay supported.
                            That's what passes for moderate these days? Here's some better reporting, from the LA Weekly:

[Dreier's] voting record is strewn with anti-gay positions. To cite just a few: He opposed the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would have banned discrimination against gay people in hiring; voted for the gay-bashing Defense of Marriage Act; voted for banning adoption by gay and lesbian couples in the District of Columbia (3,000 miles away from Dreier's district); voted to allow federally funded charities to discriminate against gays in employment, even where local laws prohibit such bias; and voted against the Hate Crimes Prevention Act.
                            To be clear, I don't think that justifies digging into Dreier's personal life, or outing him. But it would be nice if the major papers didn't have to pretend he was a moderate guy on social issues. Here's more of his record—the guy's as conservative as they come.

UPDATE: Ah, now it looks like Dreier will just be sharing duties with GOP whip Roy Blunt and deputy whip Eric Cantor while DeLay's under indictment.

Posted by Bradford Plumer on 09/28/05 at 12:54 PM
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Now that Republican House Speaker Delay will be going on trial, Republican Senate Majority Leader Frisk is under investigation, prominant Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff is under investigation (he's the designated fall guy who will be sold down river), the CIA leak investigation is almost complete (come stand trial Karl Rove), and Bush's choice for the OMB's Procurement Director has been arrested and indicted... Can anyone honestly deny the Republican leadership isn't the most corrupt group to have power in this country since... well... Nixon or Harding (who were also Republicans).

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

now hopefully he will be convicted, and sent to a federal POUND HIM IN THE ASS prison
                                It is a State charge, not federal.

Comment

Working...
                                X