Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Delay indicted, to step down as Majority Leader...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin

I said the facts of the case have been discused for years and everyone knows them. The court can throw out what it likes and so this guilty man could be the next OJ Simpson to walk free but he's still guilty as sin and even you know it.
    No, I dont know it. I have very little faith in 'conspiracy' allegations.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
      Who the hell is Dick Schumer?
      Chucky "Tricky Dick" Schumer to be explicit.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

No, you can compare the group of hacks the Republicans currently employee vs the group of hacks the Democrats currently employee and you really can say one side is worse then the other.
        Only if you've been blinded by party propoganda.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I said the facts of the case have been discused for years and everyone knows them. The court can throw out what it likes and so this guilty man could be the next OJ Simpson to walk free but he's still guilty as sin and even you know it.
          While in my own personal opinion, I "think" he is guilty...
          (and is probably the biggest pond scum in government)

That is why we have trials. He is indeed innocent until proven guilty. I'm hoping the courts can find all the facts and come to a real conclusion on whether he has broken the law. But until that happens... he's innocent.
          We don't just lynch people anymore in this country without a trial first
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There's a rather significant difference between being innocent in the eyes of the law and being innocent. Being convicted doesn't suddenly change whether or not you're innocent. And no one is suggesting that DeLay should be thrown in prison without a trial.

OBL has never been convicted for 9/11, does that make him innocent of the crime?

There's a possibility that DeLay shielded himself with enough plausible deniability to get out of conviction, etc., but we all know he did it.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Only if you've been blinded by party propoganda.
              Or if you've bothered to look at the facts and review the case in an intelligent manner. It's the whole bothering to look at the facts part which catches most of the right wingers here.

I look forward to a guilty verdict even if he'll only get 6 month (3 with good behavior) and a $10k fine for taking a $190k bribe.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Or if you've bothered to look at the facts and review the case in an intelligent manner.

It's the whole bothering to look at the facts part which catches most of the right wingers here.
                Ahhh yes the infamous your either evil or stupid mantra.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                  but we all know he did it.
                  Do you personally know that?
                  I'll wait to review all the "facts" that come out at the trial. Right now, who knows which "facts" are real or not.

Also... some of the things he has done may have been sleezy, but not against the law.

Again, personally I think he is quilty, but I'm not ready to declare that I know ALL the facts and can say that he is truely guilty and has actually broken some law.

After the trial is done, I hope it goes the way that many of us expect it to go... and that he starts sharing a cell with Bubba
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ahhh yes the infamous your either evil or stupid mantra.
                    No, not stupid. Just not bothering to look at the facts.

Comment

Do you personally know that?
                      I'll wait to review all the "facts" that come out at the trial. Right now, who knows which "facts" are real or not.

Also... some of the things he has done may have been sleezy, but not against the law.

A lot of what TRMPAC did is public record. The Austin American-Statesman (a paper that endorsed Bush-twice, incidentally) has been doing good investigative reporting on the matter.

And yes, in Texas, laundering corporate donations through the RNC and distributing them to political campaigns is against the law.

As I said, there's a chance that DeLay insulated himself with some sort of plausible deniability deal, but that isn't the least bit credible on anything past a strictly legal level. DeLay isn't the type to lose track of hundreds of thousands of dollars in his own organization.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

No, not stupid. Just not bothering to look at the facts.
                        Or perhaps its the zeal with which facts are selectively made available to the public. Considering the WaPo considered the above Schumer-gate issue on par with Watergate.

As political dirty tricks go, snooping for financial dirt on Mr. Steele by illegal means strikes us as roughly on a par with eavesdropping on a rival party's private telephone conversations, as Virginia Republican officials did several years ago.
                        and yet it was relegated to an A22 position. But I'm sure we've heard all about it in other reputable news sources such as NYT and others, no?

Comment

Using the SSN from public documents to get a credit report on a political opponent requires slightly less complicity from the top (FWIW, the researcher was fired) than laundering hundreds of thousands of dollars in corporate contributions.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                            Using the SSN from public documents to get a credit report on a political opponent requires slightly less complicity from the top (FWIW, the researcher was fired) than laundering hundreds of thousands of dollars in corporate contributions.
                            A) where does it say the SSN was obtained from public documents?

B) the comparison was drawn between Watergate wire tapping and the illegal obtaining of credit reports (an apt comparison)

So in summary, I could give two figs about Delay, may he hang from the highest rafters, OTOH, we all know the amount of press that resulted from Watergate why the deafening silence around Chuck Schumer and his staffers?
                            Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; September 29, 2005, 13:53.

Comment

Or perhaps its the zeal with which facts are selectively made available to the public.
                              This has been explored up, down, left, right, and sideways by every creditable news group out there and they've been doing it for years. There is no vast conspiracy to selectively make facts available. Everything has come out in the last three years.

and yet it was relegated to an A22 position. But I'm sure we've heard all about it in other reputable news sources such as NYT and others, no?
                              It was some low level college kids who acted stupidly and got fired for it. It deserves to be on A22 while I got sick and tired of seeing the corruption investigation for the Republican leader of the House (and now of the Senate as well) being stuck on A22. The wrong doing of party leaders with power should be put well ahead of stupid college kids.

Comment

Watergate didn't get any press besides from the WP for a very long time. And Colson sure as hell wasn't fired almost immediately after W&B started looking into it.

A. From the NYPost (first link with the relevant info):
                                Sources familiar with the situation said the committee's head of research, Katie Barge, and a deputy, Lauren Weiner, got the credit report by using Steele's Social Security number, which they say they obtained from public documents.

B. My point was that calling it "Schumer-Gate" is a wee-bit premature.
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X