Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Delay indicted, to step down as Majority Leader...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no fan of Delay but unlike the rabid whiners I'll wait to hear the actual merits of the case when presented in a court. Then I'll decide.

"Just the facts maam, just the facts"
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

He goes both ways. Don't try to foist him entirely on the GOP.
      Link? With Delay pushing his plan, that if you hire or donate to Democrats then you wouldn't reach the inner circle of the Republicans, it is doubtful. By all reports Jack Abramoff was almost exclusively a Republican boy and that's why he was allowed to be such a key insider into the money laundering.

Do you honestly think they'd let just anyone into the inner circle? Do you think they'd let in someone who might tell the other side or the media what was going on? No, they wanted a loyal guy and they got exactly that with Jack Abramoff.
      Last edited by Dinner; September 29, 2005, 10:23.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
        I'm no fan of Delay but unlike the rabid whiners I'll wait to hear the actual merits of the case when presented in a court. Then I'll decide.

"Just the facts maam, just the facts"
        The merits of this case have been discused for years and everyone knows them. Nice attempt to try to pretend other wise though.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

The merits of this case have been discused for years and everyone knows them. Nice attempt to try to pretend other wise though.
          So you figure that what's discussed in the media by partisan pundits of various colours has any bearing on what happens in court? Interesting.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
            To his target audience (ie one member of the jury) this is proof that Earle is a partisan nutjob, as everyone knows that Democrats are five times more corrupt than Republicans.
            I'm not saying every Democrat has always be straight but claiming that they're even close to the level of corruption the current Republican leadership has displayed is pretty stupid. Averaged out on a yearly bases we can compare the size and severity of all the corruption charges for the 30 years the Democrats ran things compared to the last 8-9 where Republicans have ran thing and we'll see who comes out cleaner. On the Presidential front Carter was the last absolutely squeeky clean person to sit in the white house with Reagan and Bush 2 being the worst when it comes to corruption and illegal activities.

Also Earle has gone after Democrats over Republicans by a 2-1 margin. Hardly the act of a partisan now is it?

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

So you figure that what's discussed in the media by partisan pundits of various colours has any bearing on what happens in court? Interesting.
              I said the facts of the case have been discused for years and everyone knows them. The court can throw out what it likes and so this guilty man could be the next OJ Simpson to walk free but he's still guilty as sin and even you know it.

Comment

Hip hip hooray their goes Delay.

Now if we can get Tricky Dick Schumer.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'm not saying every Democrat has always be straight but claiming that they're even close to the level of corruption the current Republican leadership has displayed is pretty stupid.
                  You just weren't paying attention during those times. Seriously, do we have to start talking about Dan Rostenkowski again?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You pull up a case from a guy who last served in 1994 and who's crimes were commited in the last 1980's through very early 1990's? 10-15 year old stuff. As I said the Democrats have had their bad guys but if you take the number of crooks & liars both parties have had and you compare the number of years each party has been in control you will easily find that the current crop of Republicans are the worst of the lot. I said that earlier.

The best possible way to run the government is with one side controlling the executive and the other controlling the House with the Senate evenly split. That's the only way to keep the corruption in check yet even then Reagan still managed to be a pretty big crook.

Comment

You pull up a case from a guy who last served in 1994 and who's crimes were commited in the last 1980's through very early 1990's?
                      Of course. That was the comparison, right? Dems then versus Republicans now. And don't even get me started on the Big Dig.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Of course. That was the comparison, right? Dems then versus Republicans now. And don't even get me started on the Big Dig.
                        The comparision was over the 30 years the Democrats were in charge vs the 8 or so the Republicans have been in charge. Take the scale and frequency of each crime into account and you see why these guys are so much worse. Especially over the last 5 years where they've controlled the White House too. Having absolute power has most certainly corrupted these guys.

Comment

Or perhaps the proper comparison is when they were out of power and attempting to come into power. You know Tricky Dick Nixon's Watergate and this for Tricky Dick Schumer:

WaPo editorial

A Surfeit of Scoundrels

Friday, September 23, 2005; Page A22

MARYLAND Republicans are angry, and rightly so, that Democratic operatives would fraudulently obtain the credit report of Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele, an all-but-declared candidate in next year's race for the U.S. Senate. A pair of twentysomething operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee apparently procured the report for the purpose of "opposition research." They've been fired by the DSCC, and the case has been referred to the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Washington, which are investigating.

Mr. Steele, a Republican whose credit history is of interest to the Democrats because of personal debts and other financial troubles earlier in his career, wants the Democratic aides to be prosecuted to the hilt. They may indeed be liable for a fine and even some prison time; under federal law, it is illegal to knowingly and willfully obtain a credit report under false pretenses. But it was some of Mr. Steele's own Republican colleagues who, while trying to contain their glee at the political ammunition furnished them by the Democrats, supplied a reality check on his righteous indignation. The incident demonstrates that Mr. Steele has arrived in big-time politics, said Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. The governor, no slouch at partisanship himself, added that both parties were guilty of similarly unsavory tactics, which he attributed to "Capitol Hill politics."
                          As political dirty tricks go, snooping for financial dirt on Mr. Steele by illegal means strikes us as roughly on a par with eavesdropping on a rival party's private telephone conversations, as Virginia Republican officials did several years ago. Both acts display a disregard for fair play and the spirit of the law; both are indicative of the current state of partisan enmity. Voters might like to punish all the scoundrels -- if only they could tell one party's scoundrels from the other's.

Although not explicitly pointed out in the article the offenders were at one point Schumer staffers and his office did not fire perse the staffers but suspended them with pay if I heard correctly.

Face it both parties suck to imply one is worse than the other is merely to label yourself either deluded or a partisan to whatever side you imply is more clean.
                          Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; September 29, 2005, 11:05.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Who the hell is Dick Schumer?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

A relative of Roger Schumer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                                Face it both parties suck to imply one is worse than the other is merely to label yourself either deluded or a partisan to whatever side you imply is more clean.
                                No, you can compare the group of hacks the Republicans currently employee vs the group of hacks the Democrats currently employee and you really can say one side is worse then the other.

Comment

Working...
                                X