No announcement yet.

Interesting foreign phrases.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A French phrase I like is "enterrer quelqu'un" (to bury somebody). The most common meaning of the word is about the action of burying. Nothing to see here.

However, another meaning is "to outlive". It's not really nice to say somebody that you'll "enterrer" him, but it's not a declaration of war either.

IIRC, the word has the same meaning in Russian, but not in English, which is why the famous sentence "we will bury you" was such a misunderstaning
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Reminds me of a German phrase "Haare auf den Zähnen", having hair on one's teeth. It means, being hard to deal with in discussions, or hard to argue with.

Comment

I've always admired the German ability to come up with phrases or compound nouns for concepts that other people might not have even conceived of- 'schadenfreude', for instance, and 'Lustmorder'.

Similarly, 'Zeitgeist' 'wanderjahre' and 'Weltanschauung', and memorably, 'sauerkraut'- that well-known instrument of torture. *

(* not true of me- I like sauerkraut, especially with fried sausage, honestly)
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Elefantenrennen, "elephants' race", when one lorry/truck overtakes another one on a dual carriageway, thus producing a long line of cars going slower than usual, creating public rage.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
            spiffor
            Quoté pour la vérité!
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
              Reminds me of a German phrase "Haare auf den Zähnen", having hair on one's teeth. It means, being hard to deal with in discussions, or hard to argue with.
              Another one we share.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                I've always admired the German ability to come up with phrases or compound nouns for concepts that other people might not have even conceived of- 'schadenfreude', for instance, and 'Lustmorder'.

Similarly, 'Zeitgeist' 'wanderjahre' and 'Weltanschauung', and memorably, 'sauerkraut'- that well-known instrument of torture. *

(* not true of me- I like sauerkraut, especially with fried sausage, honestly)
                You should see some of our recent word creations, decorated with the Unwort des Jahres (non-word of the year) award.

A few examples:

Winner 2004: Humankapital (human capital, debasing humans as mere economical factor)

3rd 2002: Zellhaufen (heap of cells, meaning a human embryo)

Winner 1999: Kollateralschaden (colateral damage, describing the extinction of innocent people as negligibility)

Winner 1998: Sozialverträgliches Frühableben (socially compliant early passing, describing the early death of older people as benefit for the pension funds)

Winner 1997: Wohlstandsmüll (welfare garbage, meaning people unwilling or unable to work)

Winner 1996: Rentnerschwemme (flood of retirees, describing the fact, that the percentage of old people will increase in the future)

Comment

Sozialverträgliches Frühableben

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

"Winner 2004: Humankapital (human capital, debasing humans as mere economical factor)"

human capital in English is mainly used by economists, and has no connotations of debasing. Its a useful analytic concept representing the fact that investments in education and skills(whether by individuals, or by society) can be more productive than investments in machinery, etc. Indeed, politically the term tends to be used by relative progressives ("instead of tax cuts, we should be investing in human capital")
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Interesting foreign phrases.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Do any of you know new words which don't translate well into English?
                      most don't translate good in english.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I also enjoyed the Moroccan one, that a meal was so expensive, it cost him his eyes.

It seems that eyes are valued highly in several societies. We have a danish expression "det koster det hvide ud af øjnene" - roughly translating to "costs the white of your eyes". Though not restrained to a meal, but to anything costly.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

In Spanish you can also say "Vale un ojo de la cara" "It's worth an eye of your face" to express the same.
                          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

In French you say "Ca lui a coûté la peau des fesses" for the same, i.e. "it costed him the skinn of his butt"

Comment

in english they say "it's raining cats and dogs"
                              what an absurd statement when they can say what we say: the logical: vrechei kareklopodara (it's raining chair legs)

Comment

Same in french, you can say something cost you an eye or an arm.

Comment

Working...
                                X