Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder
    in english they say "it's raining cats and dogs"
    what an absurd statement when they can say what we say: the logical: vrechei kareklopodara (it's raining chair legs)
    The equivalent in French is "il fait un temps de chien" litteraly "it's a dog's weather", meaning it's not nice out.
    For the raining part, we have "il pleut des cordes" litteraly, "its raining ropes", meaning it's raining a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
      In French you say "Ca lui a coûté la peau des fesses" for the same, i.e. "it costed him the skinn of his butt"
      forgot about that one....
      I actually use that one pretty often...
      You can also use "par la peau des fesses" ("by the skin of his butt") to mean "barely".... As in "that guy tried to hit me, but missed me my the skin of my butt".

Comment

In Dutch it's a rib. (there must be some link to Adam's rib, but I'm not sure how)
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder
          in english they say "it's raining cats and dogs"
          what an absurd statement when they can say what we say: the logical: vrechei kareklopodara (it's raining chair legs)
          Nah, we danes as usual expresses it better : "regner skomardrenge" ~ "raining shoemakerboys"
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

that has got to be the most "far out"

Comment

Talking about butts - here we say "arbejde røven ud af bukserne" ~ "working the a** out of the trousers" meaning working hard to accomplish something.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

sitting in a coffeeshop makes one 'stoned als een garnaal' (stoned as a shrimp). Apestoned is another possibility. (Yes, like an ape)

Water naar de zee dragen
                carrying water to the sea for a futile effort.
                Strangely enough we're below sealevel and couldn't stop 'carrying' the water out

'apartheid' is another famous dutch word that aparently cannot be translated (although segregation comes close enough)
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

Water naar de zee dragen
                  carrying water to the sea for a futile effort.
                  Strangely enough we're below sealevel and couldn't stop 'carrying' the water out
                  Well, we "sælger sand i sahara" ~ "selling sand in sahara" - I guess that there isn't that big a market there

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    In French you say "Ca lui a coûté la peau des fesses" for the same, i.e. "it costed him the skinn of his butt"
                    I'd say "an arm and a leg" is more severe
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                      Nah, we danes as usual expresses it better : "regner skomardrenge" ~ "raining shoemakerboys"
                      In Catonese we say lok gout si (pouring dog crap)
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                        Greetings are either more or less formal than "hello." More formal is time-of-day specific (good morning, good evening, etc.). Less formal is a gesture -- generally a nod of the head or raised eyebrows. But there's no generic.
                        We don't have a "hello" in Chinese either. The closest is ni hou, "How are you?" Another similar one is "Have you had your meal?"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

We don't have a "hello" in Chinese either. The closest is ni hou, "How are you?" Another similar one is "Have you had your meal?"
                          Tagolog uses "How are you" instead of "hello" as well -- but that's borrowed, too ("kumusta," from the Spanish "como esta?")
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Some British English phrases for the bemusement of non-English speakers:

'all his geese are swans'

'all is grist that comes to his mill'

'to kill the goose that lays the golden egg'

'to knock into a cocked hat'

' (never in) a month of Sundays'

'to put a person's nose out of joint'

'to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'

'in Queer Street'

'robbing Peter to pay Paul'

' to be unable to say boo! to a goose'

'to send to Coventry'

'at sixes and sevens'

'to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'

'to steal someone's thunder'

Exhibiting our love of our European neighbours:

'to take French leave'

'engaging in Spanish practices'

'a Dutch auction'

'a Dutch uncle'

'Dutch courage'

'to go Dutch'

'castles in Spain'

'it's all Greek to me'

'jerry-built' although seeming on the face of it to perhaps refer to the Germans (jerry=Germans) seems to derive from the same root as 'jury', as in 'jury-rigged'.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Another fun one is that the french say 15 days when they mean 14.

15 jours = two weeks.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                                Another fun one is that the french say 15 days when they mean 14.

15 jours = two weeks.

I can't think of any pejorative English phrases with the word 'Belgian' in.

Clearly this indicates great British love for Belgium.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X