Byelorus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Byelorus

Just some news from our dear eastern neighbour.
    You may not be aware of that, but there's a cold war between Poland and Byelorus right now, and UE sided Poland, though not very loudly.
    The problems started after Orange Revolution in Ukraine, where Poland was very active in supporting pro-western and democratic forces. Lukashenka, the president of Byelorus, being much bigger tyrant and having much more reasons to be disliked by the West than anyone in Ukraine, got scared that Poland would meddle in Byelorus and support oposition against him.
    At first, there was usual mutual expulsion of diplomats. Lukashenka accused Polish diplomats of inciting Polish minority against the gouverment.
    Polish minority (several percent of the population; according to last researches over 3%, earlier 5%, earlier 7%, unofficially it may be more numerable because, as in Poland or Germany, minorities do not feel like declaring their nationality when asked by the state: mostly Grodno/Hrodna region and around Lithuanian boarder) was the one Lukashenka likes to depict as dangerous for his country and scare his fellowmen with it: Poland owned Byelorus once, and Poles were the cruel landlords and stuff.
    Anyway, there were elections of the only Polish organisation in Byelorus, and Lukashenka's candidate, the previous leader, lost, miss Angelika Borys won. Lukashenka did not accept that. Authorities declared the elections invalid, and some nonconformist Poles are persecuted, though mildly: only police talks, arrests, fines and such. A new elections, under supervision of authorities, were held and the right candidate elected. Polish newspaper was closed, and authorities begane printing their own version; it claims to be approved by Polish authorities, while it is not.
    Not that Poland is handling these matters in a good manner. This is time of elections and I think oposition politicians are behaving irresponsibly supporting Borys completely, while it is sure that she has no chance in confrontation with Lukashenka and all this fight may only bring harm to Poles in Byelorus and to the situation in Byelorus overall.

I didn't write about it earlier because I guess You won't be very much interested in situation of Poles in some exotic eastern land.

But I recalled about it when I've read in today newspaper that Lukashenka banned Byelorussian Evangelic Church (Evangelic Church of Byelorus? Whatever). You see, a new law states that You can't have church headquaters in private apartament. This church was too poor to afford its own office - so it was closed.
    Earlier, calvinist church was banned. It boycotted this law because it claims it should get back its churches confiscated once by Soviets. It's a pity it no longer exists, it had a long history there, almost as long as history of calvinism itself. Part of Radziwill family, one of the greatest aristicratic families in Europe, used to be calvinist; their main posessions were in Byelorus.
    Another small protestant church stands next in line to be delegalised.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

FUSSROB?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

They are taking down the weak churches first.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

my grandpa was born in Grodno.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Really? That's nice. Was He Polish, Jewish, or Byelorussian?
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

There were a lot of 'Tyranical Belarus' stories in the press several years ago that looked suspiciously like anti-sovereign propaganda to me at the time. I can't comment on these latest stories about Lukashenko, and if he genuinely is doing beastly things to Poles then that would be wrong, but unfortunately there are elements in the West who cannot stop themselves undermining Eastern European regimes - usually in the name of something like 'democracy' or 'human rights', but more often because they want a compliant leader in place. Lukashenko is his own man, so he's always been on the list.

If Lukashenko is ever toppled, expect the Orangista and Otpor types to be on the payroll, but don't expect the new regime to deliver better living standards to the population.

{edit: typo}
            Last edited by Cort Haus; September 22, 2005, 19:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
              If Lukashenko is ever toppled, expect the Orangista and Otpor types to be on the payroll, but don't expect the new regime to deliver better living standards to the population.
              Are you nuts? ANYONE is better than this certified lunatic.
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

For once, I agree with Saras. Lukashenko is in his own league. Cort Haus' argument has quite some truth for other Eastern European regimes (including Kuchma's Ukraine), but Yukashenko is a completely different beast. And it's no surprise that Byelorus is the eastern European country in the worst shape, politically and economically.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't talk to Frenchmen today
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Insert standard Soviet mail order bride pic:

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                      Really? That's nice. Was He Polish, Jewish, or Byelorussian?
                      well he was 4 years old when he emigrated. He was a sjubject of Tsarist russia, a Jew, and I presume at that age he spoke only Yiddish. His father was a poor cobbler, not upperr class enough to have been Russified, which is what most assimilating Jews went for in Belarus pre-1914.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                      X