X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i cant figure out how to comment on this

Legislation would require pet to be included in evacuations
    More would leave if pets allowed, lawmakers say

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal disaster grants to state and local governments should be conditioned on how they accommodate pets in their evacuation plans, say lawmakers disturbed that some Hurricane Katrina victims refused to leave home because they couldn't take their animals with them.

"I cannot help but wonder how many more people could have been saved had they been able to take their pets," Rep. Tom Lantos, D-California, said Thursday.

Lantos and Reps. Christopher Shays, R-Connecticut, and Barney Frank, D-Massaschusetts, are sponsoring a bill that would require that state and local disaster preparedness plans required for Federal Emergency Management Agency funding include provisions for household pets and service animals.

More than 6,000 pets have been saved in Mississippi and Louisiana, said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of the Humane Society of the United States, but tens of thousands more could still be in New Orleans alone. Texas, he said, has been better at allowing people to take their pets with them ahead of Hurricane Rita but a formal policy is still needed.

"We cannot rely on individual acts of compassion," Markarian said.

Holly Hazard, executive director of the Doris Day Animal League, said there are 4,000 outstanding requests to rescue pets more than three weeks after Katrina hit.

While the legislation may draw attention to the issue, it doesn't "have any real meat in it," said Sara Spaulding, a spokeswoman for the American Humane Association. She said uniform protocols on rescuing and sheltering animals, for example, should be formulated at the federal level with consultation from animal welfare groups.

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I think it's crap. Humans before non-humans.

Yes, I'm speciesist that way.

If you want your pet with you, you figure out how to take it with you, don't make me pay for your idiocy.
    B♭3

Comment

Legislating stupidity. Let this idea die the quick death it (and the people who put animal life over human life) deserve.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Why are the pets deemed so low?? For most folks the pets are family members. During a disaster like a hurricane who the hell stops to ask where is fido is he in the house or swimming down the swollen creek bed? Pets provide love and companioship for a lot of lonely and disabled folks. If this is whatever it is saves humans and pets what is the big deal?? They way you guys put it is that the folks are throwing life lines to a dog before the human. My thoughts if the dog is found first and the human located second attempts should be made to save both the human first then the pet.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I'm under no illusions that folks are throwing lifelines to the dog first. However, I don't see why resources should be squandered at places like the Superdome or the Convention Center on pets, which are replaceable, more or less, instead of humans.

If you're capable of evacuating with your pet, then do it on your own dime.
          B♭3

Comment

q3

surely it should be like if you want to save your 32" telly, if you can find a way, great! but don't expect the state to help you.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

However, I don't see why resources should be squandered at places like the Superdome or the Convention Center on pets, which are replaceable

Thats pretty cold man.

I dont understand why there should be a money/ resource shortage anyway that you have to make the decision that you are only going to save the humans. Its not like this is the third world
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Like all general rules/assumptions, there are allowances. For instance, the one exception I can possibly think of where a pet should definitely be evacuated with the owner on government funds is if the pet is a seeing-eye dog.
                B♭3

Comment

If people won't leave without their pets, then they may die, which defeats your policy of humans first.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It doesn't, actually.

If these people are in a position where they must rely on Federal aid for evacuation, then they must also be prepared to follow conditions set. Frankly, it's ridiculous for a pet to be granted space which could go to a human; and if the victims refuse to abide by the terms set, then they are perfectly free to find other methods of evacuation.

There is space in the private sector for people-pet evacuation; however, I don't think that government money should be spent on what are, quite frankly, disposeable and replaceable domesticated animals.

Sure, it'll be sad if people still reject aid and nothing else is there to replace it, but then again, it's their own damn fault, their own damn choice. It's not the Federal government's job to stop people from being idiots, if the only people being harmed are themselves.

Refusing to leave because you have an attachment to an animal that you, quite frankly, could largely replace at the kennel/shelter is a self-defeating idiocy, and if they want to purge themselves from the gene pool, more power to them.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      If people won't leave without their pets, then they may die, which defeats your policy of humans first.
                      But fortunately for those remaining they've got good chow. Mmmm..... Fifi burgers.
                      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

My poor doggies certainly not disposable, nor is he ever replaceable

2/10
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I'd save my dog before a stranger....dogs are family members and should be treated as such!

Comment

Reds, Snotty, that's all well and good for you. But I say again, if you want to evac with them, you should pay for it, not government funds.
                            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty

My poor doggies certainly not disposable, nor is he ever replaceable

2/10
                              Yeah but is he nice and juicy and tender?
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X